Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules [Updated 12/21/2016]

MAIN RULES OF THE FORUMS

Please respect your community. Respect each other as you all enjoy the same thing – The Game.

We encourage open and friendly discussion of the game and the Community. Moderators and Staff have final decisions on all matters, and are here to make sure that the Community remains a friendly, fun place appropriate for players of all backgrounds, ages and groups.

It is the forum member's responsibility to stay up to date on forum rules and to honor the behavior outlined.

PURPOSE OF THE FORUMS

These forums provide an area for constructive player discussions of the game. It also allows players to
help each other identify bugs and issues, and help each other reproduce and resolve them.

These forums are not the most direct way to contact support. If you’re having an issue with your game and you need direct assistance, please tap on the FAQ/Support tab within the game.

CHANGES OR IMPROVEMENT

Please make sure to stay updated on these rules by reviewing this page from time to time.

SET RULES

This is a private board. As such, decisions made are final.
We reserve the right to remove any message board content without notice for any reason.

Rule 1: Responses to rule violations
Violating these rules will result in warnings, either formal or informal, suspensions, banning, or other sanctions.

Rule 2: Respect other users on the forums
- Do not make attacks or insult other users, either in the forums or through private messages. Disagreements and debates are fine, but don’t make it personal.
- Do not attack groups. This includes professions, races, religions, sexual orientations, genders, incomes, or even vague groups like “you people.”
- Do not use ill terms which are offensive to groups, do not “flame”, “troll.” or “haze”.

Rule 3: Respect the forum purpose and structure
- Make your posts in the appropriate forum.
- Please use the Search function. If a relevant thread already exists, please post there instead of creating a new thread about the same topic. Duplicate threads will be closed to keep the forums orderly and easy to navigate.
- Keep off-topic posts in the off-topic forum.
- Don’t start discussions about games that are not ours.
- Do not cross-link to other message boards or websites unless approved by a moderator.

Rule 4: Respect the law
- Do not post anything illegal under U.S. law, or encourage other users to break the laws of the U.S. or their country of residence.
- Do not encourage users to break terms of service. This includes giving information about how to find scripts, exploits, or cheats, as well as arranging to buy or sell accounts or virtual goods.

Rule 5: Respect the audience
Think about who you're talking to. Users may be as young as 13 on these message boards, and may be male or female, and from countries across the globe.
- Keep your language civil. Profanity is frowned on.
- Do not post Adult Material, inappropriate graphic sexual content in any format, or links to sexually explicit sites.
- Do not post graphic images or explicit descriptions of violent acts.
- Do not use an avatar or signature that could offend other users. They have to look at it a lot.

Rule 6: Respect privacy
- Do not post any private emails or private messages unless you have the explicit permission of each person involved in the exchange.
- Do not post private communication between customer support, members, moderators, or administrators on these forums, or anywhere else. (This include support ticket responses)
- Do not post any information covered by a non-disclosure agreement or beta testing agreement. Even if you somehow have inside information about our competitors, for legal reasons we don’t want to hear it.
- Do not post Facebook information about other forum users.
- Do not post any private information about other users.
- Do not post in-game information in an attempt to have other players attack your target. Be careful to not cross the line into bullying.

Rule 7: Do not spam
- Do not post repeatedly about the same topic.
- Do not spam users on the forums or through private messages.
- Do not start a thread without actual purpose.
- Do not start a thread about a news story or article unless you make it clear what the story is about, and offer your own opinion to start a discussion.

Rule 8: Respect your account
- Do not share your account information with other individuals. You will be held responsible for any rules violations that occur under your account.
- Do not create new accounts or use other tricks to avoid suspensions or bans.
- Do not create ‘sock puppet’ accounts – multiple accounts created just so that you can agree with yourself and make it seem like your ideas have more support than they do.
- Never include your e-mail address or any other personal information in posts.

Rule 9: Respect the Moderators
- Do not post using the color red. This color is reserved for moderators.
- Do not impersonate moderators. Do not claim to speak for the moderators.

Rule 10: Respect the decisions of the moderators
- The moderation teams reserves the right to warn, suspend, or permanently ban users judged to be acting against the spirit of the rules, even if the user is following the letter of the rules.
- Do not argue with moderators about moderator decisions. You can disagree with a moderator’s opinions, just like any other poster, but when they post moderator actions in red text, it is considered final.
- Moderators have no access to your game account. If you have an issue you must contact customer service.

Generally, BE NICE. There is nothing wrong with being nice to each other.
See more
See less

De-Nerfing the Dragon, an outline...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-Nerfing the Dragon, an outline...

There seems to be a lot of talk about dragon damage lately. (NOTE: This was originally written when dragons were the only monsters we HAD) No suprise there, really, as they're completely neutered. Taking 6 damage, at the high end, from a creature that could literally pick it's teeth with you, is just plain silly.

The argument seems to flux back and forth between "dragons need to do more damage" and "more damage would keep low level players from fighting them".

So here's a possible solution that tries to incorporate all your stats (except energy) into the battle, rather than just stamina...

Base the chance to recieve a defense assist (0 damage from dragon) on your level -
    Level 1 assist chance = 95%
    +2 levels = -1% assist chance
    Minimum defense assist chance = 5% (levels 180+)
    Modify defense assist - the damage doesn't dissapear, it is transferred to the assister.
    Modify defense assist - instead of coming from a random character, it comes from a random pick of the top 3 damage leaders.

This lets low level characters have a chance to get in on the fun without getting splattered immediately, but ensures that a level 1 char can't play the odds and solo a dragon right out of the gate. Transferring the damage to whoever provides the defense assist encourages investment in defense, team play, and cooperation between the elder gods of CA and the newest of the noobs. It will also make the other assists (xp, gold, damage) comparatively more likely for those that are doing significant damage than for those who are getting the advantage of defense assists.

De-nerf your attack stat in dragon battles via the critical hit table -
    Base crit chance = 1%
    +10 Attack = +1% crit chance
    Max crit chance = 45% (attack of 440+)

This would let the old-school PvP folks with comparatively low stamina and high attack do some serious damage along with those of us that have built a stamina heavy "dragon-killer" character, and enourages everyone to invest in attack. Capping the crit chance at 45% keeps the PvP types from just walking into your keep and dispatching the beast single-handedly...it still takes cooperation, even with Heros in the battle.

De-nerf your defense stat -
    1 defense = full damage per hit
    5 def = -1 point of damage per hit
    10 def = -2 points of damage per hit / -1 points per assist
    And so on, up to...
    200 def = -20 points mitigated per hit / -10 points per assist.
    Above 200 def, assist mitigation to scales up to -20 points (400 defense+) following a 20/1 ratio.

This encourages players to invest in defense, especially as they become higher level and start doing more damage and providing more assists. If you dump everything into stamina and start doing large amounts of damage without investing in defense, you are doomed. Not only are you taking damage when you attack, you are in the front lines, and taking damage protecting your weaker comrades behind you. This is also as it should be. The tip of the spear gets pretty roughed up when you stick it into something.

De-nerf the dragon -
    Dragon attack damage = 5 to 15 points, mitigated by defense stat
    Dragon critical damage = 20 to 30 points, mitigated by defense stat
    Dragon critical chance = 3% per level of dragon (Emerald, 3% - Red, 12%)
    Breath weapon damage = 10 to 15 points to all players, not mitigated by defense
    Breath weapon chance = 10% per 100K damage taken by the dragon

This makes the dragon something other than a paper tiger. It can kill you, if you are not prepared stat-wise, or don't use cooperation to bring it down. You WILL get your butt handed to you while fighting a dragon, as it should be, but it won't be impossible by any means.

De-nerf Death -
    If you are eliminated in a dragon battle, you cannot attack it, be attacked by it, or provide defense assists for the next ten hours.

This, along with the other changes, encourages all players to invest in health as they level up. Having 200 points in stamina, defense, and attack doesn't do you much good if you're dead and on the side-lines after dropping 20 critical hit power attacks on old scaley. If you're dead, as a damge leader and group defender, your team will mourn your absence, even if it is only temporary.

DISCLAIMER: My character is built for dragon-killing under the current system...200 energy, 150 stam, negligible att/def.
    Last edited by The Lord of the Files; 03-03-2010, 03:57 AM. Reason: disclaimer added, 200+ mitigation scaling added, clean up, battle roster removal,

This sounds very very interesting. I only got to browse it a bit atm, as real life is calling, but it looks well laid out. You've got some good ideas there.

Comment

Very cool idea. I think most agree that Monsters should do more damage. I think your outline is well thought out. I especially would like to see breath weapons. Maybe even unique to color. Green - poison with damage over time; blue - cold instant damage with small wait time to attack again; gold - weakening cone of some sort with lowered damage per hit; and red - fire with large instant damage. Could be fun.

Anyway, great ideas!
      Last edited by cthulhu522; 10-14-2009, 02:14 PM. Reason: Because I cannot spell.
      Dragon Slayers United
      DSU Tools Available for everybody to use.
      [Monster Link Generator][BSI/LSI Calculator]

Chain Gang [CG]
      [CG] Site

Comment

Originally posted by cthulhu522 View Post
        ...Green - poison with damage over time; blue - cold instant damage with small wait time to attack again; gold - weakening cone of some sort with lowered damage per hit; and red - fire with large instant damage...

Nice! That's a cool idea.

Comment

Well there are some other way that could also work, but i like your idea. i was actually thinking with your defensive system and this idea the game may get very interesting. Just an idea...

All damage done to character after health is diminished to 0 comes from your soldiers..
          example:
          footman 10 hp
          ranger 20 hp
          knight 25hp and so on...

Something of that nature. Say you took 400 damage and you have 100 hitpoints. Well there is 300 damage left that is sorted out through your army. If you have 200 footman with a total hp of 2000hp. Then you would loose 30 of them. With this new type of battle system i wouldnt go and chain people you would have to actually study your enemy. I also believe that if your attacking a character with no flying creature and your attacking with all flying creature a certain percentage of damage from the flying should be automatic. Unless ground troops can cast spells or shoot bows ie." ranger or wizard".. This would help solve the problem of people saying money is useless and hitpoints are usless. With this type of battle system every stat counts and money is alot more precious.....

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            ...All damage done to character after health is diminished to 0 comes from your soldiers...

...With this new type of battle system i wouldnt go and chain people you would have to actually study your enemy....
            You should develop this idea more and start a battle suggestion thread with it. I like it, it's got potential.
            Last edited by The Lord of the Files; 10-14-2009, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Excellent ideas.

The only hitch I see is that people can invest in all the health they want, but it can be gone within thirty seconds. I lost all my health to a massive chain attacker within five minutes of logging on. So, if I leave a chunk of health to deal with dragons attacks when I am logged off... someone is going to chain that away within moments, and I will still die from dragon attacks. Only thing is, I am not able to attack again for ten hours.

Also, since this chain attacking thing isn't confined to just my being attacked, there is a good chance that most of an army could be unable to attack for nearly 1/7th of the time... maybe even more depending on their luck. A high priority battle target like myself... high 90's, General... could be out the whole dang battle. I get hit by battlers upwards of 50-75 times a day, as do many others. Even if we win, our health gets drained over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Bradshaw View Post
                The only hitch I see is that people can invest in all the health they want, but it can be gone within thirty seconds. I lost all my health to a massive chain attacker within five minutes of logging on. So, if I leave a chunk of health to deal with dragons attacks when I am logged off...
                Good point. It could be solved if you were removed from the battle roster when you attack a dragon. You're "safely" inside someone's keep after all.

Comment

I dont like your idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Seth View Post
                    I dont like your idea!
                    SWEET!

There's nothing in the world as awesome as thoughtful constructive criticism.
                    Last edited by The Lord of the Files; 10-14-2009, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lord of the Files View Post
                      Good point. It could be solved if you were removed from the battle roster when you attack a dragon. You're "safely" inside someone's keep after all.
                      Which would unfortunately bring us back to the period of time where people couldn't find anyone to fight pvp. This had people kicking and screaming for a fix and caused others to quit, not something we want to reproduce. It's also been brought up before, and I believe the argument for keeping dragon fighters in the battle list went something like this: If you saw your opponent already engaged in battle, would you simply walk away and wait for a fair fight? Nope, you'd sneak in and take what you could while they were distracted. So anyone should be fair game for pvp action, regardless of if they are fighting a dragon or not.
                      Forum Rules | Infraction System | Informational Threads | FAQ | Gaea ToS & Privacy Policy

"The universe is already mad, anything else would be redundant" - Londo Mollari

Comment

Originally posted by Mursilis View Post
                        Which would unfortunately bring us back to the period of time where people couldn't find anyone to fight pvp. This had people kicking and screaming for a fix and caused others to quit, not something we want to reproduce. It's also been brought up before, and I believe the argument for keeping dragon fighters in the battle list went something like this: If you saw your opponent already engaged in battle, would you simply walk away and wait for a fair fight? Nope, you'd sneak in and take what you could while they were distracted. So anyone should be fair game for pvp action, regardless of if they are fighting a dragon or not.
                        Fair enough. That point aside, what do you think of the idea in the original post?
                        Last edited by The Lord of the Files; 10-14-2009, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lord of the Files View Post
                          Above 200 def, assist mitigation to scales up to -20 points (400 defense+) following a 20/1 ratio.[/U]
                          I guess I didn't quite understand this part. So assume I have 600 defense, what is my -dmg?

In the dmg done by the dragon, why is the breath not mitigated by your defense? Just curious as to the reasoning.
                          Forum Rules | Infraction System | Informational Threads | FAQ | Gaea ToS & Privacy Policy

"The universe is already mad, anything else would be redundant" - Londo Mollari

Comment

I guess I didn't quite understand this part. So assume I have 600 defense, what is my -dmg?
                            Defense mitigation caps at 200, giving you a maximum of -20 on damage dealt directly to you by the dragon.

Assist mitigation caps at 400 defense, giving you a maximum of -20 on damage you take as a result of providing a defense assist for a weaker player.

They are just applied in different situations

So at 600 (which is 200 points past the effective cap) you're mitigating 20 points of damage weather the dragon attacks you directly, or you are blocking for another player. For comparison, let's say you defense is only 300; Then you mitigate 20 points when the dragon attacks you, but only 10 points when you provide a defense assist for another player.

It's just generally more difficult to effectively deflect an attack that's aimed at someone else in melee combat, as in real life.

In the dmg done by the dragon, why is the breath not mitigated by your defense? Just curious as to the reasoning.
                            My thinking was twofold; On game mechanics level, there needs to be some existential risk for the "tanks". If they can shrug off the worst that a dragon could throw at them without paying attention to their health, they'll just mow the thing down in no time.

On a practical level, it's just more realistic. (Oh god, I can't believe I just said that about a Castle Age idea...) Anyway, no matter how fast, skilled, and prepared a person might be in melee combat, if you drop a thousand pounds of napalm on him, he's going to be in the suck.
                            Last edited by The Lord of the Files; 10-15-2009, 10:32 AM.

Comment

This is good!

This sounds like it would provide more of a challenge rather than simply clicking the power attack button over and over again. Would be nice to see more player/dragon interaction.
                              I'd also like MAGIC to play a role in how you attack the dragon, defend or even support army members.
                              Listen to my story...

Comment

Working...
                              X