• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aho
    Journeyman
    • Feb 2014

Is Gaea blurring ethical boundaries?

The facts: On my 12th spin of Treasure island I landed on the Legendary chest square. It flashed Null and changed to 5 hero crystals. (Screen shot attached)

I emailed customer support explaining the problem and included the screen shot. On Saturday the 27th

This morning, August 1st I received the following email,

I am happy to inform you that our devs has sent you the legendary chest today.
    please check and confirm.

Kind regards,

Gaea Support

At first I was excited to actually receive my prize. Then it dawned on me, why did I have to wait 5 days for the intended reward for the event.

It really makes me question the business ethics of Gaea to have a Grand Prize reward for an event be bugged so that the community is forced to send in a ticket in order to receive it.

It FEELS like fraud, setting a prize that is bugged so the user has to go to extra measures to redeem. I’m aware that I can’t prove their intent, that’s why I said it FEELS like fraud.

They could of ran a test to ensure the square functioned properly, so were they lazy? Or were they banking on people shrugging it off and moving on?

They could have given extra compensation for the event not working as intended, but chose to just give me the intended prize for the inconvenience.

I felt the need to share, not very happy with their business ethics.
  • Shadow Reaper
    Castle Age Duke/Duchess
    • Apr 2010

Honestly, I don't think that they are blurring any ethical boundaries.

Gaea gets a lot of tickets. To the point where it can take a few days for them to even get to a ticket. This is perfectly acceptable. It can then also take a little bit of time to have the devs investigate if they need to do so.

In this case you submitted a ticket on the 27th, which was a Saturday. The devs themselves likely only work Monday-Friday. I'm not sure about whether support does the same but even if they work weekends they may have only seen the ticket on Monday anyway.

That means that inside 3 days (5 if you do count the weekend that they may not have worked) they examined the ticket, investigated your issue, determined that you were owed something, and got back to you with both reward and confirmation.

To me that seems like pretty good timing on the issue and with a positive outcome at that.

Could it have been faster, sure. But it could also have been far far worse. (trust me. I've heard/seen stories)

If for example they had gotten back to you say two weeks later and said that they didn't owe you anything... now that would be different.

As it stands thought... I think support did a good job this time around.
    Last edited by Shadow Reaper; 08-01-2019, 04:51 PM.
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!" - Rev Sim

"Gratuitous acts of senseless violence are -my- forte!" - Max

Comment

• Aho
      Journeyman
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Shadow Reaper View Post
      Honestly, I don't think that they are blurring any ethical boundaries.

Gaea gets a lot of tickets. To the point where it can take a few days for them to even get to a ticket. This is perfectly acceptable. It can then also take a little bit of time to have the devs investigate if they need to do so.

In this case you submitted a ticket on the 27th, which was a Saturday. The devs themselves likely only work Monday-Friday. I'm not sure about whether support does the same but even if they work weekends they may have only seen thee ticket on Monday anyway.

That means that inside 3 days (5 if you count the weekend) they examined the ticket, investigated your issue, determined that you were owed something, and got back to you with both reward and confirmation.

To me that seems like pretty good timing on the issue and with a positive outcome at that.

Could it have been faster, sure. But it could also have been far far worse. (trust me. I've heard stories)

If for example they had gotten back to you say two weeks later and said that they didn't owe you anything... now that would be different.

As it stands thought... I think support did a good job this time around.
      I guess I failed to make my point, this isnt about turn around time. This is about the intended rewards requiring extended means in order to redeem.

Comment

• dayrep
        Castle Age Sage
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Aho View Post
        I guess I failed to make my point, this isnt about turn around time. This is about the intended rewards requiring extended means in order to redeem.
        You experienced a glitch. Gaea fixed it within a reasonable amount of time.

How is that unethical? Did they sacrifice an unborn child to give you your chest?

Why make it more complicated?

Comment

• gogoo
          Castle Age Knight
          • Apr 2011

This is the first time I hear about this.

As dayrep said, it was a glitch/bug.

All players I've heard of who got a Legendary Chest from this event didn't have to send a request to support, they just got their prize directly. And frankly, if other players didn't get their reward in the same way it happened to you, I'm sure we would have heard of it plenty of times. Unhappy people tend to be more vocal.

Also, getting a Legendary Chest at a Lucky Value of 11 or 12 is incredibly lucky. Most people don't get one until their 201st spin, and the lowest I had heard of before was the 109th spin.

Honestly it's really awesome that they gave you the Legendary Chest, because when I read the beginning of your post, I was really inclined to think you weren't supposed to get the top prize and the spinning stopped on the Legendary Chest square because of a display bug or something (btw, I can't see your screenshot and I'm curious, can you maybe upload it on imgur or something?).

Also I'm curious, did your Lucky Value reset to 0 after this happened?

Comment

• Shadow Reaper
            Castle Age Duke/Duchess
            • Apr 2010

I hate to break it to you but perfection doesn't exist.

Even software developers are still human and make mistakes.

What matters is how they handle those mistakes.

Yes, you experienced an issue, but it was handled quickly and with the desired result.

Other than not having the issue at all I think this is as close to perfection as you can get.
            "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!" - Rev Sim

"Gratuitous acts of senseless violence are -my- forte!" - Max

Comment

• mike!!4
              Acolyte
              • Feb 2013

They did a good job alright in Aho's case and fairly fast indeed.As for Gaea blurring ethical boundaries for sure not as they don't have any.This time they really messed up with Ti.
              Chest drop rate gone to ridiculous low yesterday just to milk more cash.I m not the kind of person that complains and proof to that is this my third post since i started playing ca and my other 2 posts are since yesterday in the "how much stamina did you take to achieve 35 chests".5.3k stamina before i see a chest dropping (without monkeys extra) and 4k after nothing.Same reports from everyone in my guild so i m not the weird or unlucky one.To me thats the devs spitting paying players in the face and asking them to throw more mooneys to them for a game they ve done little next to nothing to make it work for everyone.It is accessible only to very fat wallets and scripters.Colosseum is as glitchy as it gets, guild in top 10 of 100x100 using script in battles for sure (first 8-10 mins nobody can join the battle as the "busy"note keeps coming up) and don't tell me they re not or they can't cause by the time i manage to get in to battle i m the last 1 standing in my gate with my confidence maxed (with Meekah 79lvl takes more than a couple of hits) and my health halved (like good bots that they are can't tell defeat from victory).So yes if they don't start addressing issues that have to do with smooth game play and cheating but just bother how they ll milk more money,many loyal players will tell em to go blip themselves and go spend their cash elsewhere.

Comment

• mike!!4
                Acolyte
                • Feb 2013

Its been verified neither ethics neither 1 bit of shame from the boys that run this game,after bringing back the Ti i ve unloaded over 14 k so far putting me in top 100 in monster leaderboard for 2 chest drops so yeah no ethics and no shame from Gaea just thirst for money.
                Last edited by mike!!4; 08-02-2019, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• Rezface
                  Castle Age Bishop
                  • Dec 2009

You know this actually happened to me during this event too, two days ago.

I figured it was just something like a lag issue on my end during the randomized roll, and never thought much to screen shot it or make a ticket. I just took the five hero crystals and kept playing.

Now it makes me wonder how many other people had this happen to them...

Comment

• VersionsOfViolence
                    Castle Age Duke/Duchess
                    • Dec 2009

Maybe we all need to start live streaming on Twitch.

Omfg that would be boring.
                    ~VoV~

Comment

• Wandering Alchemist
                      Journeyman
                      • May 2018

wish I knew that , but don't have any proof of anything now

Comment

Working...
                      X