Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules [Updated 12/21/2016]

MAIN RULES OF THE FORUMS

Please respect your community. Respect each other as you all enjoy the same thing – The Game.

We encourage open and friendly discussion of the game and the Community. Moderators and Staff have final decisions on all matters, and are here to make sure that the Community remains a friendly, fun place appropriate for players of all backgrounds, ages and groups.

It is the forum member's responsibility to stay up to date on forum rules and to honor the behavior outlined.

PURPOSE OF THE FORUMS

These forums provide an area for constructive player discussions of the game. It also allows players to
help each other identify bugs and issues, and help each other reproduce and resolve them.

These forums are not the most direct way to contact support. If you’re having an issue with your game and you need direct assistance, please tap on the FAQ/Support tab within the game.

CHANGES OR IMPROVEMENT

Please make sure to stay updated on these rules by reviewing this page from time to time.

SET RULES

This is a private board. As such, decisions made are final.
We reserve the right to remove any message board content without notice for any reason.

Rule 1: Responses to rule violations
Violating these rules will result in warnings, either formal or informal, suspensions, banning, or other sanctions.

Rule 2: Respect other users on the forums
- Do not make attacks or insult other users, either in the forums or through private messages. Disagreements and debates are fine, but don’t make it personal.
- Do not attack groups. This includes professions, races, religions, sexual orientations, genders, incomes, or even vague groups like “you people.”
- Do not use ill terms which are offensive to groups, do not “flame”, “troll.” or “haze”.

Rule 3: Respect the forum purpose and structure
- Make your posts in the appropriate forum.
- Please use the Search function. If a relevant thread already exists, please post there instead of creating a new thread about the same topic. Duplicate threads will be closed to keep the forums orderly and easy to navigate.
- Keep off-topic posts in the off-topic forum.
- Don’t start discussions about games that are not ours.
- Do not cross-link to other message boards or websites unless approved by a moderator.

Rule 4: Respect the law
- Do not post anything illegal under U.S. law, or encourage other users to break the laws of the U.S. or their country of residence.
- Do not encourage users to break terms of service. This includes giving information about how to find scripts, exploits, or cheats, as well as arranging to buy or sell accounts or virtual goods.

Rule 5: Respect the audience
Think about who you're talking to. Users may be as young as 13 on these message boards, and may be male or female, and from countries across the globe.
- Keep your language civil. Profanity is frowned on.
- Do not post Adult Material, inappropriate graphic sexual content in any format, or links to sexually explicit sites.
- Do not post graphic images or explicit descriptions of violent acts.
- Do not use an avatar or signature that could offend other users. They have to look at it a lot.

Rule 6: Respect privacy
- Do not post any private emails or private messages unless you have the explicit permission of each person involved in the exchange.
- Do not post private communication between customer support, members, moderators, or administrators on these forums, or anywhere else. (This include support ticket responses)
- Do not post any information covered by a non-disclosure agreement or beta testing agreement. Even if you somehow have inside information about our competitors, for legal reasons we don’t want to hear it.
- Do not post Facebook information about other forum users.
- Do not post any private information about other users.
- Do not post in-game information in an attempt to have other players attack your target. Be careful to not cross the line into bullying.

Rule 7: Do not spam
- Do not post repeatedly about the same topic.
- Do not spam users on the forums or through private messages.
- Do not start a thread without actual purpose.
- Do not start a thread about a news story or article unless you make it clear what the story is about, and offer your own opinion to start a discussion.

Rule 8: Respect your account
- Do not share your account information with other individuals. You will be held responsible for any rules violations that occur under your account.
- Do not create new accounts or use other tricks to avoid suspensions or bans.
- Do not create ‘sock puppet’ accounts – multiple accounts created just so that you can agree with yourself and make it seem like your ideas have more support than they do.
- Never include your e-mail address or any other personal information in posts.

Rule 9: Respect the Moderators
- Do not post using the color red. This color is reserved for moderators.
- Do not impersonate moderators. Do not claim to speak for the moderators.

Rule 10: Respect the decisions of the moderators
- The moderation teams reserves the right to warn, suspend, or permanently ban users judged to be acting against the spirit of the rules, even if the user is following the letter of the rules.
- Do not argue with moderators about moderator decisions. You can disagree with a moderator’s opinions, just like any other poster, but when they post moderator actions in red text, it is considered final.
- Moderators have no access to your game account. If you have an issue you must contact customer service.

Generally, BE NICE. There is nothing wrong with being nice to each other.
See more
See less

BSI, LSI, TSI, hunting, Farmers and Slayers - info thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSI, LSI, TSI, hunting, Farmers and Slayers - info thread.

As the title says. I promised this thread a few days back, and mostly it will be preaching to the converted (I hope). However, there seems to be a lack of info out there, and in the current game world climate folks need all the info they can get to make informed choices and understand their neighbours, so here goes. We can have a good debate after if you fancy it.
    It will be long, so skip the thread or take it in instalments if long is not to your taste.

BSI, LSI, TSI - a more literal meaning

Besides the already-known about uses for BSI among the PvP crowd, these stats also have a more literal meaning you need to be aware of for knowing where builds are going.

In short, these stats literally represent how many points you put in a set of skills per level.
    Maybe they mean you're good at PvP or something else, but very literally they represent the level of investment you make.
    My BSI is roughly 4, and my build doesn't change that much - I add +1 to def and att on level up, take about 2 days to level, and in that time I apply the demi worships there too (for +2 att and def). I put roughly 4 points into battle 'skills' (attack and defence), and so I've ended up with nearly a 4 BSI.

TSI is BSI + LSI + health. BSI are combat skills (attack, defence), LSI are levelling skills (energy, stamina) - health can receive points also, so you have to count it in any total points sum. From a wider viewpoint, you can think of health as a guild battle skill since it doesn't currently add to levelling, but contributes to guild battles - in this respect it's nearer BSI than LSI. We digress.

TSI is mostly important for monitoring the rate of picking up points. However, if you REALLY want to study that, you need to look at RATE.

Rate? Why do I care about rate?

Find out your levelling speed, and divide the stat you want to study by it -B,L, or TSI. (Don't eat my stats Brock, it's not THAT kind of BLT. ) In my case, I have roughly a 4 BSI, I level every 2 days, so 4/2 = 2 battle skill points a day. That's a very quick and dirty calculation and you can all doubtless do better, but it's a good example.
    Why care? If I'm growing in PvP strength by 2 points a day, and you're growing by 6, we can definitively prove you're catching/pulling away from me. You can also use rate in projections to determine the likely future outcomes of a build. Will the PvP dinosaurs be king forever? With this knowledge and others, you can compare and contrast. To the best of my knowledge, this comparison has not been done yet and we have the tools to do it...it might make a nice exercise for someone.

I keep hearing about this FP lark. Why do the slayers and farmers say they'll take forever to level and they're ruined? Surely bigger is better?

This is where TSI and LSI start to matter.
    Your average player will know they have a load of energy and stam they can spend. After that they have to wait a bit, then they level up and the cycle starts over.

The problem is, every level the amount to next level (TNL) goes up by 12.5. (2nd hand info, I'm trusting others on that.) Each level will cost at least as much as the last, BUT it will ALSO cost this extra 12.5xp.
    Anyone who uses a large number of FP refills faces a problem - they are levelling far faster than the system expects. Why is that even a problem? Unless you counter that 12.5xp (and most people can't, at least - not any time soon) - the next level will take longer to reach than the last. You can only really address this with points into LSI or more refills - in turn, the primary sources of SP in the game are quests (limited in number), levels themselves (5 SP), and the demi worship is a guaranteed SP every day unless you don't turn up in time to claim it. If you are refilling, 1) you will run out of quests and 2) the number of levels you gain relative to the demi worship will go waaaay up. TSI and LSI can ONLY go down in the face of that.

But PvPs said they play the game since forever and levels don't matter.

They matter to the amount of 5 SP. BSI is a commonly used PvP metric and levels weaken you on it, so the PvPs will never really favour levelling. However, if you only care about SP, the 5 SP are still important.

Whether you try to maintain high BSI is an issue of both PvP (targets, guild points) and social importance. If any of your priorities lie anywhere else, however small - levels matter. Even to an extent, levels matter in PvP because of the 5 SP which inevitably go back into attack and defence, but it's not the whole story for those people.

I still don't see why I have to care about LSI/TSI.

The problem is the refilling part. In itself, refilling is not a problem - you gain stuff out of it, not lose. However, the REAL issue is that 12.5 XP a level. If you refill, that 12.5 will bite EVEN HARDER in retaliation than it did before - you don't have the demi SPs to offset it.
    If you continue to refill to high levels, you'll outstrip the quests too. If you refill and refill and refill to the point where you still level every day at least (maybe more) your TSI will start heading towards 5/6-ish. (level up and 1 daily demi.)

NOW you should care about TSI. See, even if you put all 6 points into energy, and spend them in the quest with the greatest reward, you get 6*1.75 = 10.5 XP back. Afaik there is no way to guarantee 3.5xp per stam, so this is as good as you'll get. TNL will escape whether you like it or not.

Well THAT sux. Can't they just refill out of it?

No. Refills are capped. Beyond 2000 energy and 1000 stam, your 10 FP will not increase in value. If your refill AND level-up freebie will not cover all the xp you need, the only thing you are left with is MORE refills.

Once you commit to using lots of FP on refills, you only have 2 routes:

1) You stop, and let equilibrium take hold. You'll level pitifully slow, but if you use the daily demi on LSI, your level speed will increase. However, it could literally take years in the worst cases, and still take months even in the good cases.

2) Get more FP, and do more refills to maintain your current (long-term unsustainable) pace. Some people can afford that, it's personal choice.

Let's say I DO want to do FPs anyway....what should I know?

First up, quests are limited. If you know ahead of time you're going to be a big refiller, you actually need less energy in your build. Why? You'll be levelling up loads, and every time you do you get a free refill. If you have a high energy build, you'll run out of quests and the most you'll be able to do with the bulk of your energy is spend it on XP. You might be able to spend some of it on monsters as well....basically it won't be pretty. You can ignore this advice if you do have a plan and you account for all of this, but you REALLY have to be VERY careful. Once you go down this road, you can't undo it.

Similarly, if you somehow know VERY EARLY in your game career you're going to be a big refiller, the bonus packages are very attractive. The SP sources outside of the 5 for levelling up are limited in number - buying an SP or two this way is horribly inefficient for most of us, but if you know you're gonna be buying EVERYTHING it's actually a good bet.

If you are heading for a career in monster fighting, you need to know that you'll be adding stam for most of your gaming life - learn from the hard lessons of the Slayers in the community. We've already proven the costs of refilling will ONLY go up and there's nothing you can do about this, although you'll be subsidised for a while. Be sparing with the FPs, and keep adding the stam. Be very careful about allocating points anywhere else - you'll have to add SOME, but every point in those skills will slow your build down in the long run (some more than others...a point in health will 'damage' you in this sense far more than a point of energy).

Even if you're a secret millionaire - even billionaire - and you happen to be reading this, I think you can agree you would rather get to do more of what you want with your £10,000 you budget for CA than have to spend an EXTRA £10,000 on top or make do. EVERYONE needs efficiency. Not everyone has to be neurotic about it, but there are little things everyone can do that make a big difference...planning is one of them.

What about this idea monster hunters have a peak around level 300-500 and they only get weaker after that? I don't want to play a game where I get weaker over time. That blows.

If you exhaust all the outside SPs, this will definitely happen. What you need to keep in mind is these people who spent FPs have bought the right to have their power NOW. The system, with it's 12.5xp, will push back - fundamental laws of the universe about forces and all that - and what they buy now, the system will try to claim back later. Whether this is fair or not...that is a design/dev issue.

If you are a mundane player, and did not farm much/go down the cash player road, you are less powerful overall but you still have more of your future ahead of you. My build is based on this concept...I can hardly compete directly with the credit card or farmed builds - which will likely remain more powerful for all time - but....the system is NOT pushing back against such builds with the same force.

So long as you can source lots of SPs, you can maintain a high TSI - and if you so choose, you can put most of your total points into LSI skills to keep that 12.5 at bay. In my case, I have a build near level 500 that still levels up around twice a day (probably getting on for 2 1/2 by now, but I've not checked lately. ) To our benefit, the devs are still releasing lots of quests, and recently brought out main quest area #17 with no indications they intend to stop releasing such content. Inevitably they will cost ever more energy to get, but it's still better than only getting the level-up and daily demi SPs right?

Since you will still have lots of SPs left to get, and a reasonably quick level rate, you will still be an effective monster hunter. You may not be the toast of the town and hero of the day like the big players, but you can at least pull your weight and earn your loot without having to resort to FP, and risk the system pushing you back harder than you can handle. As long as the devs keep releasing quests, as long as the current laws of the CA universe are true and as long as you don't burn through the quests with energy refills, and as long as you keep adding to LSI skills, your level rate will remain reasonable and you can keep hunting full power. There is no arbitrary level number where this stops.

Those PvP dinosaurs are miles ahead, AND they've got all the quests done.

This is why we newer players have to add to energy, and grab bonuses at level up. It's not pretty, but the game rewards you for existing. You're guaranteed 288 natural re-gen of energy and stam a day - if someone has a year on you and doesn't waste it, they have 365*288 = 105,120 more energy than you, not even counting level-ups. That's enough energy to earn at least a couple hundred SP, still around 100 by the later quests.
    The good news is that you can complete all the quests they did, and earn those same SPs (although not the daily demis). The bad news is, you have to invest in energy to catch up - they do not. (They may have to invest -some- for the later quests, but you will have to invest more.) As the amount of energy the devs are asking for increases, you'll need to up energy to match - however, the damage should not be too severe.

Some work could be done on the area of dev quest rates. Essentially, take the time since the 2nd last land and the most recent, and the cost in energy of completing everything to level 4 - this is the amount of energy you needed to pick up in the meantime to be able to do those quests. If you picked up more, you risk overshooting and running out of quests (so long as it's mild, you can easily correct this by not adding to energy for a while). If you picked up less, you may need more energy.

A note of caution for any newer player thinking they'll 'get all the quests done eventually' - 17 main quest areas, 5 demi areas, 2 of atlantis and monster expenditures - maybe a few areas I haven't thought of. You are not going to mystically complete all this and catch up to the players of old without lots of adding to energy. If you want those SP, you need to add. Whether this is right for your build or not? THAT is a different matter, and beyond the scale of this article.

So does this make you or any non-FP player bigger and better than the farmers and slayers?

Actually no. They still have more SP, more 'stuff' and more to show for their efforts. This is more about being efficient with limited resources. The fact is, the equilibrium the system is pushing for is still not a lot. Even if you never catch the end of quests, you're still destined for maybe 4-5 days per level in the end and you will still only be able to take on 1 or 2 big monsters. That said....you'll still be good at it, you'll still get the job done. There's lots of game out there for you and you will still be pretty good at it, you just won't set any records, that's all.
    Last edited by Cerbykins; 03-03-2012, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I know a guy with really terrible TSI and he's really happy. He does great at <x>, <y> and <z>. Another guy has great TSI and is miserable. Aren't these stats just junk?

The stats are tools. There's a reason for that saying "lies, damn lies and statistics" - like all tools they can be badly abused.

There are a lot of coders on this forum, and they will be familiar with a metric called "KLoC" - "thousand lines of code". Whoever writes more lines of code is great right? WRONG. Sometimes you can write code in a few lines that a lesser coder may use 100 lines to do. Do you count empty lines? Copy-pasting will generate a lot of code quickly too, but it's not always the right thing. In this case, a metric can be badly abused.

The same goes for BSI/LSI/TSI. They're only clues, signs, symptoms. I don't personally want high TSI because it's a cool number - I want it because it's one of the best signs of something else I CAN get - how to get lots of SP quickly. You can make a level 1 character with 100 attack through demi-worship - it would be next to useless in game. It would have an amazing BSI, but it would be a useless character.

DON'T ABUSE THE STATS. Use them as tools (and realise they're imperfect tools at that), nothing more. If we had perfect ways to measure the items we actually value, BSI/LSI/TSI would never be mentioned. Use the tools, but only as tools. You wouldn't call wire-cutters broken because some idiot tried to chop mains electricity with them would you? In the right hands and with care though, they have value.

Zin and Misa - are they worth it?

These two generals are very unique in that they give you a trickle of resources you wouldn't otherwise get access to. With these two generals, you have an extra 30 energy and 15 stam - per day - forever - that non-owners don't have - it's basically a boost to your natural 288-a-day.

The catch is, they cost FP, and FP can buy refills instead. So, are they still worth it?

Both generals are more valuable to PvP-built players (high attack/defence, low energy/stam). For a long-term player with only 120 stam, 3 stam refills would be worth 360 stam. Zin will pay that back in 24 days, everything after that is income only Zin could buy you and the refills can't. The furthest extreme is the player with 1000 stam (or able to use a general to boost themselves to 1000 stam for refill purposes). Such a player would get 3000 stam from refills, and that will take 200 days for Zin to earn back. Sound bad? Some players are of the opinion you should live in the present and not think too far ahead in the future - even so, unless you're planning to quit in roughly the next 6 months....Zin would STILL pay such a player back.

Misa is a far less certain enterprise, being a chest general. The absolute BEST case, again, is that you only pay 30 FP and only have 120 energy. In this case, you'd be paid back in a mere 4 days. However, the refill cap is 2000 and more importantly, you probably won't get her first roll. The odds on a 'common' roll (which Misa is) are 55% - but she's 1 of 12 items that are commons, bringing the odds of that specific roll down to a mere 4.58% - just short of 1-in-22 chance. Basically, on average, you will see her on your 21st/22nd chest roll - and it could be worse. Even assuming it's 21 rolls and you buy them at discount in blocks of 3, that's still a 560 FP cost.

With that in mind, we'll go back to the pure PvP example. 560 FP is 56 refills, so we'll say they'd get 6720 energy out of that - Misa will pay that back in 224 days. (and that assumes you were lucky and got her in AT LEAST average time.
      In the worst case, the player with the 2000 energy, Misa has 112000 energy to make up - and will pay that back in 3733 days. I don't know about you but I'm not planning for Castle Age 2022.
      All of this assumes you never miss timings, either. In reality everyone has reasons they can't be around for demi-worship and/or Zin/Misa at the correct allotted time. Life is just not that kind.

In short, Zin is worth it, Misa is not. Misa is only really of value if you were planning to roll in Ascension chest regardless, making a good consolation prize.

The last thing I would add is, get Zin as soon as possible for the maximum results. 15 stam means a lot more to a level 50 than it does a level 500, and makes up a bigger part of the cost of the next level. If I were starting over today, Zin would probably be THE first purchase I would make, and it would have a big effect on my growth rate for the first few months.

Useful extras: (anything that needs including but not quite big enough for a header will go here)

- Elandal's SP sources spreadsheet
      Last edited by Cerbykins; 04-04-2012, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the write-up, Duckling - I enjoyed reading it. Have always found the three main indexes meaningful to my character building and I liked the way you handle them. Not gonna go into depth about it all, even though your article would probably deserve a proper response, but am just gonna mention that if more people treated the indexes for what they are, what you present them as, we might have avoided a few useless dramas in the game; BSI = Battle Skill(point) Index instead of -Strength Index. Feels like a much truer and - dare I say? - healthy way of looking at it. Strips the ego out of it. XD

Comment

Originally posted by Yuhake View Post
          Strips the ego out of it. XD
          Sadly, the ego of it is why some people even worry about indexes at all. People are so worried about how much better than everyone else they can be they forget to have fun along the way, or worse, they try to suck the fun away from everyone else with gloating and other forms of bashing.
          Last edited by ChocoboKnight91; 03-03-2012, 10:14 PM.
          No longer playing the game
          Sig by kill.them.all

Comment

Me, cerby and a few others have been saying this for months now
            Follow CAGT on FB for tips and game updates. You can also follow our Twitter account @CastleAge_GT.
            New or returning player? Check out this guide

Forum community. Things you should expect when posting here.

Comment

Tbh, I still think I missed a fair bit out - for example, I thought about the route Purrrrr goes and her preference for guild battle. Even if levelling will be very hard for her now, there's not a cap on how many people in guild battles she can slap about - and TNL will impose no pressures for a while yet.

Truthfully, the whole thing is somewhat inspired by the FP thread and realising that all the plans I'd laid maybe -weren't- common knowledge after all. For example, the idea that hunters are less effective as they get bigger is common knowledge because the biggest hunters spend FP. Why WOULDN'T the biggest stars in the monster world be the sources that are in the public mind? Problem is, if you're not following their path, you may get info that isn't 100% suitable to you. I'll never be able to wipe out every failing Skaar in sight for people, but I'm not subject to the -other- features of the super-high level hunters either.

Someone had to make a starting reference work.

Comment

Ducky knows the math and can put it to words. I think ducky should get a forum achievement with +9000 post count bonus to go
                WARNING: THE POST ABOVE MAY OR MAY NOT CONTAIN SARCASM AND/OR IRONY!

Elandal [FIN] ΛĢ 8218DD

Comment

Originally posted by Elandal View Post
                  Ducky knows the math and can put it to words. I think ducky should get a forum achievement with +9000 post count bonus to go
                  Thanks.

I read that you thought I knew the numbers well...not sure I know them THAT well. I suppose I know roughly where they're going, which is what's important for anyone planning to use this stuff I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerbykins View Post
                    Those PvP dinosaurs are miles ahead, AND they've got all the quests done.

This is why we newer players have to add to energy, and grab bonuses at level up. It's not pretty, but the game rewards you for existing. You're guaranteed 288 natural re-gen of energy and stam a day - if someone has a year on you and doesn't waste it, they have 365*288 = 105,120 more energy than you, not even counting level-ups. That's enough energy to earn at least a couple hundred SP, still around 100 by the later quests.
                    Actually I can guarantee they are not miles ahead, at least not the perceived public view that one has to be a unicorn to "catchup", it's the big numbers scares most newbies. Everything else being equally or more efficient, old players are between level 432-578 for full 3 years playing (without a single break and CA isn't 3 years old yet), anything more means they've used refills. Remember only thing you need to catchup is the amount of blessings, and it falls down easy 73 levels (=365 SPs) per year, unicorns shouldn't even need to exists until 2020. Being level 578+73=651 is more than enough to catchup.

Originally posted by Cerbykins View Post
                    So does this make you or any non-FP player bigger and better than the farmers and slayers?

Actually no. They still have more SP, more 'stuff' and more to show for their efforts. This is more about being efficient with limited resources. The fact is, the equilibrium the system is pushing for is still not a lot. Even if you never catch the end of quests, you're still destined for maybe 4-5 days per level in the end and you will still only be able to take on 1 or 2 big monsters. That said....you'll still be good at it, you'll still get the job done. There's lots of game out there for you and you will still be pretty good at it, you just won't set any records, that's all.
                    This would sum it if you play the leveling game more than what's necessary.
                    Overall it's a nice article, cerby.
                    ?!

Comment

Originally posted by labalaba View Post
                      Actually I can guarantee they are not miles ahead, at least not the perceived public view that one has to be a unicorn to "catchup", it's the big numbers scares most newbies. Everything else being equally or more efficient, old players are between level 432-578 for full 3 years playing (without a single break and CA isn't 3 years old yet), anything more means they've used refills. Remember only thing you need to catchup is the amount of blessings, and it falls down easy 73 levels (=365 SPs) per year, unicorns shouldn't even need to exists until 2020. Being level 578+73=651 is more than enough to catchup.

They ain't talking (yet) - so I lack the hard data to judge. Certainly the bigger the gap, the more catch-up needed but that's just good sense - and thanks.

Comment

CA isn't 3 years old yet
                        Is already. See Castle Age Chronology
                        Demi blessings are not full 3 years yet, though. Based on Chronology, my SP Sources spreadsheet gives 1035 as theoretical max from blessings. I doubt anyone has managed over 90% efficiency though, so maybe 950 for the most diligent dinosaur. This is most likely the figure people consider as the advantage that needs to be overcome. It's not a small amount by any means.
                        WARNING: THE POST ABOVE MAY OR MAY NOT CONTAIN SARCASM AND/OR IRONY!

Elandal [FIN] ΛĢ 8218DD

Comment

Originally posted by Elandal View Post
                          Is already. See Castle Age Chronology
                          Demi blessings are not full 3 years yet, though. Based on Chronology, my SP Sources spreadsheet gives 1035 as theoretical max from blessings. I doubt anyone has managed over 90% efficiency though, so maybe 950 for the most diligent dinosaur. This is most likely the figure people consider as the advantage that needs to be overcome. It's not a small amount by any means.
                          sounds about right

Comment

a few dinosaurs are well below that level range

Comment

all builds end up levelling at the same speed in the end

Comment

Working...
                              X