Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Few suggestions for general alliances

Quote Originally Posted by Ditendra View Post
    Thx for information, however it's still a bit complicated for me to understand. I will ask one simple question. Do I need to work on my damage rune and increase it for my Guardian account? Will this protect my allies better? Since wiki says Sentinel/Guardian benefits from Damage rune.
    Quote Originally Posted by VersionsOfViolence View Post
    Sentinel has nothing to do with your damage rune, only the damage rune belonging to whoever is hitting the Sentineled target. Health Rune has nothing to do with Sentinel. The only use Health has when casting Sentinel at all is to let you absorb more damage by not dying so fast.
    He already answered your question in this thread ;-)

Also, where does the wiki say that Sentinel benefits from Damage Rune? On the Sentinel page it just says it resists the Attacker's damage rune. I t has nothing to do with the caster's or the target's damage rune (as VoV stated in his answer).
    Last edited by gogoo; 12-03-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gogoo View Post
    Thanks for all the info!

It doesn't always last the same number of hits?
    If not, I suppose it might depend on the caster's alliance and sentinel level and the attacker's damage... CA works in mysterious ways sometimes...

In my example from a GB test, when "X protected Y for 424 damage and resisted 145 damage", Y took 0 dmg and X took 279 dmg which was exactly 424 - 145.
    So the caster doesn't take the full protected dmg, he takes the difference between the protected and the resisted dmg.
    And thus if resisted dmg > protected dmg, the caster shouldn't take any dmg.

From what I could see, Protected and Resisted dmg are not "separate". You can protect for a maximum amount => that's the dmg that is removed from the target (and if the attack's dmg < protect max amount, the target takes 0 dmg), and then before the caster takes this dmg to himself, you subtract the resisted dmg from the amount of protected dmg; and thus, if the attacker has a huge dmg rune, leading to a huge resisted amount, it may nullify the dmg to the caster (which might have never been intended to happen in the first place since damage runes didn't even exist at first).

That's my understanding of it now.

--------

In your example, you protect for a max of 1273 HP and resist for 54 dmg + 20% of Attacker's Damage Rune.

"Versions Of Violence protected Oliver for 1111 damage and resisted 1422 damage."
    1422 - 54 = 1368
    1368 / 0.2 = 6840
    That would mean that for this to happen, the attacker's dmg rune should give him +6840 dmg. No one has a rune like this, so I assume that was someone with his dmg rune boosted by Confidence for instance and so it looks like Sentinel's 20% resistance takes that boost into account, and not only the dmg rune base value.

Since you protected for 1111 dmg, I assume it wasn't the first hit on the target (otherwise he would have been protected for 1273 HP).

And if the attacker's dmg rune was giving him +6840 dmg, that means that Oliver took at least 6840 - 1111 = 5729 dmg from this attack? (not counting base dmg and maybe other stuff).
    And you (VoV) didn't take any damage because 1111 - 1422 < 0.

All in all, you reduced the dmg taken by Oliver by 1111, and didn't take any dmg yourself.

It's all "theoretical" thinking so I may be way off, idk.
    Yeah. You're way off.

So Resisted Damage is figured first. On a fresh Sentinel, the attacker's damage rune is nullified by 20% with Sentinel 3, plus 284 of damage is Resisted between Sentinel 3 and my general alliance. So if 80% of the attacker's Damage Rune < 284, then I would take 0 damage. Obviously, this was not the case, as I took 1111 damage. Of course, this doesn't mean that the target took any damage at all, but since I am able to protect for a total of 1273, an attacker has to do more damage than that, after Resisted Damage is factored, in order to do any damage at all to the target.
    ~VoV~

Blog Entries

If an account is only to be used for Sentineling, then its Runes are meaningless, as are its attack and defense stats, since Sentinel is always placed on the target.

The only Stat that will be of any consequence at all is that Warrior's Health, whether boosted by Rune or not. In order to absorb damage, you have to have a massive amount of health as a cushion. If the Warrior casting Sentinel is stunned, then that Sentinel can lose its effect. The more targets you cover with Sentinel and the more they are hit, the faster you die.

The absolute best uses of Sentinel is to transfer damage that would be done to an inactive gate to a gate that has more active healers, or to save one or two actives in a gate, so that Clerics can Mass Heal the full gate.

The problem with adding Health is that it eats up Skill Points that could instead be used on BSI or LSI, in order to have a more well-rounded account, especially at lower levels. This will make it difficult to do well in events, farm FPs, and get crystals in order to level generals to the point they're worth a damn.
    Last edited by VersionsOfViolence; 12-03-2019 at 11:30 PM.
    ~VoV~

Quote Originally Posted by gogoo View Post
    He already answered your question in this thread ;-)

Also, where does the wiki say that Sentinel benefits from Damage Rune? On the Sentinel page it just says it resists the Attacker's damage rune. I t has nothing to do with the caster's or the target's damage rune (as VoV stated in his answer).
    Check Rune Influence on Class Abilities
    https://castleage.fandom.com/wiki/Runes

I didn't understand his answer, that's why I asked him again.

Quote Originally Posted by VersionsOfViolence View Post
    If an account is only to be used for Sentineling, then its Runes are meaningless, as are its attack and defense stats, since Sentinel is always placed on the target.

The only Stat that will be of any consequence at all is that Warrior's Health, whether boosted by Rune or not. In order to absorb damage, you have to have a massive amount of health as a cushion. If the Warrior casting Sentinel is stunned, then that Sentinel can lose its effect. The more targets you cover with Sentinel and the more they are hit, the faster you die.

The absolute best uses of Sentinel is to transfer damage that would be done to an inactive gate to a gate that has more active healers, or to save one or two actives in a gate, so that Clerics can Mass Heal the full gate.

The problem with adding Health is that it eats up Skill Points that could instead be used on BSI or LSI, in order to have a more well-rounded account, especially at lower levels. This will make it difficult to do well in events, farm FPs, and get crystals in order to level generals to the point they're worth a damn.
    So, I don't need damage rune or anything else besides Health. Then I don't understand why here Damage rune is checked on that ability: https://castleage.fandom.com/wiki/Runes
    Does it mean Guardian is affected from attacker's damage rune?

Actually this is what I've been doing to my account, allocating skill points almost only to energy and health & increasing health rune. I'm glad started doing that from the very beginning. He's 457 level and in guild battles he already has more than 17 000 health.

Thank you for the information.
    Last edited by Ditendra; 12-04-2019 at 03:00 PM.

as far away as possible from the rest of the world <_<
    Blog Entries

From that wiki page:

The following table indicates which Class abilities are modified based on runes. Some are modified based on caster's runes and some are based on the recipient's runes. Refer to the specific ability for details.

In this case Sentinel is modified by the rune of whoever does the attack. If nobody's dmg rune modified Sentinel, not even the attacker's rune, only then would the ability not be checked.

Quote Originally Posted by zserg View Post
    From that wiki page:

The following table indicates which Class abilities are modified based on runes. Some are modified based on caster's runes and some are based on the recipient's runes. Refer to the specific ability for details.

In this case Sentinel is modified by the rune of whoever does the attack. If nobody's dmg rune modified Sentinel, not even the attacker's rune, only then would the ability not be checked.
    Good to know. I'll continue increasing my health rune then and ignore other runes.