Thread: Piercing and Resistance effects in Monsters

Default Piercing and Resistance effects in Monsters

I wanted to edit the wiki with more up-to-date and better formatted info.

Here's what I came up with (the "titles" are a work in progress...):

A) Monster's Physical Resistance: Deal extra damage with Physical Piercing

Some Monsters' areas have Physical Resistance and require you to have a certain amount of Physical Piercing in order to reach maximum damage.

Example: Urmek's Head, +15 Physical Resistance → Have at least 15 Physical Piercing so your damage won't be reduced.

B) Monster's Elemental Resistance (1): Avoid damage reduction

Some Monsters' areas have an Elemental Resistance and require you to remove any piece of equipment or hero you may have with the corresponding Elemental Piercing to avoid a certain amount of damage reduction.

Example: Urmek's Right Arm, +5 Earth Resistance → Don't use any equipment with Earth Piercing or your damage will be reduced.

C) Monster's Elemental weakness: Deal extra damage with Elemental Piercing

Some Monsters' areas have an Elemental weakness and with the corresponding Elemental Piercing you will deal extra damage

Example: Urmek's Right Arm, -5 Wind Resistance → Have at least 5 Wind Piercing to deal extra damage.

D) Monster's Elemental Resistance (2): Avoid the spawn of a minion with Elemental Resistance

Some Monsters' areas have an Elemental Resistance and require you to have a certain amount of the same Elemental Resistance in order to avoid the spawn of a minion which would reduce your damage output unless you kill it.

Example: Vorak's Left Wing, +15 Wind Resistance → Have at least 15 Wind Resistance to avoid the spawn of a minion (a Wind Elemental).

Many Monsters' areas combine several of the points above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have 3 questions:

1) Did I get it all right? And/or did I forget anything?

2) According to the wiki there used to be an interaction between elemental piercings/resistances of different types:
    "Currently, it is known that monsters with fire resistance are weak against water offense, and that monsters with earth resistance are weak against wind offense."
    I assume today it's been replaced with weaknesses (at least since May 2012, from the wiki article history apparently)? And for all monsters only elements of the same type matter, same as in PvP?

3) Is there any way to tell, before attacking an area with Elemental Resistance:
    - Whether it will reduce your damage if you have Elemental piercing of the same type (B)
    - Or whether it will spawn a minion if you don't have the same Elemental Resistance(D)
    It seems silly to me that 2 exact same things have different effects, and furthermore it looks to me like there's no way to distinguish in game what the effect will be for each monster/area...
    Edit: I just tested on an Abomination and I think I was wrong, I think all mobs with Elemental Resistance (ER) reduce your damage if you have Elemental Piercing (EP) of the same type, and IN ADDITION some mobs also spawn a minion if you don't have the same ER.
    For instance if I attack Abo's Stomach with WP, I get a 5% dmg reduction, and in addition if I don't have WR a minion may spawn reducing my dmg by another 20%.
    Last edited by gogoo; 11-25-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoo View Post
    Edit: I just tested on an Abomination and I think I was wrong, I think all mobs with Elemental Resistance (ER) reduce your damage if you have Elemental Piercing (EP) of the same type, and IN ADDITION some mobs also spawn a minion if you don't have the same ER.
    For instance if I attack Abo's Stomach with WP, I get a 5% dmg reduction, and in addition if I don't have WR a minion may spawn reducing my dmg by another 20%.
    That's it.

On top of that, if a monster has any elemental weakness and you attack with the same categeory of elemental piercing, you will always get a bonus boost, no matter if you match the amount of resistance or not. Example:
    -20 Fire resist on a target and you attack with:
    +1 to +19 fire pierce: you get a partial damage boost
    +20 ahead: you get full damage boost
    Last edited by Barathor; 11-26-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barathor View Post
    That's it.
    The rest of what I wrote seems right to you?

Btw, a few Monsters' pages lack the Piercing/Resistance and Divine Armor sections, I added the titles but didn't fill them. Maybe I'll find the time to do it some day, but in the meantime if you feel like doing it...

Lothorewyn, Abomination, Ouroboros, PoF, PoL, PoS
    Last edited by gogoo; 11-26-2019 at 06:02 PM.

On top of that, if a monster has any elemental weakness and you attack with the same categeory of elemental piercing, you will always get a bonus boost, no matter if you match the amount of resistance or not. Example:

Edit: the attack log states whether you took partial profit or you were able to fully blahblah

Edit 2: attack log when you match elemental resistance or are over it:
    Lord of Darkness's Head has taken an extra 62,647 bonus damage from your Water Offense! You were able to fully take advantage of their Water Weakness!
    Last edited by Barathor; 11-26-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barathor View Post

Edit: the attack log states whether you took partial profit or you were able to fully blahblah

Edit 2: attack log when you match elemental resistance or are over it:
    Lord of Darkness's Head has taken an extra 62,647 bonus damage from your Water Offense! You were able to fully take advantage of their Water Weakness!
    Oh right. I knew about that but the way I wrote it doesn't reflect that. Thanks!

Finished completely rewriting the section:

https://castleage.fandom.com/wiki/Pi...onster_Hunting

If anyone wants to check and sees a mistake please let me know
    Last edited by gogoo; 12-05-2019 at 11:50 AM.