Thread: Lawmaker Kills Repair Bill Because 'Cellphones Are Throwaways'

Default Lawmaker Kills Repair Bill Because 'Cellphones Are Throwaways'

Got a weak cellphone battery or got a simple crack in the screen? Throw the gosh darn thing in the trash and buy another $1000 phone you cheapskate. That appears to be the opinion of one politician.

vice.com/en_us/article/43kp8j/lawmaker-kills-repair-bill-because-cellphones-are-throwaways

“In the near future, cellphones are throwaways,” Potucek said, according to New Hampshire Business Review. “Everyone will just get a new one.”

That is, of course, the problem that right to repair is trying to solve.

The new iPhone 11 costs between $699 and $1,349. And it can be hard to find one at the moment. Google’s Pixel 4 costs between $799 and $999. Manufacturers seal smartphones to make it difficult to replace the battery and do basic repairs. Often, getting repairs through the company is so expensive that people simply purchase a new phone.
    ...Dwarven Miner - I found a free chest roll for ye, but I was ambushed by a Dev in the mine.
    Lil rascal made away with it...

This post belongs in the most ridiculous things thread. I don't see why a whole new thread was opened for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Sim View Post
    Got a weak cellphone battery or got a simple crack in the screen? Throw the gosh darn thing in the trash and buy another $1000 phone you cheapskate. That appears to be the opinion of one politician.

vice.com/en_us/article/43kp8j/lawmaker-kills-repair-bill-because-cellphones-are-throwaways
    My older son's kindle fire tablet's screen broke, so I took it several places trying to find someone who would fix it and one of them said exactly the same thing, that it's more expensive to repair it than it is to get a new one.

Neighbor mailed off his iPhone to APPLE for a replacement battery. Got it back unfixed with a note saying the phone was too damaged to repair.

I looked over the phone and the note. It looked like a grade A phone to me. No cracks in screen. No scratches. No obvious damage. In fact it was in pretty good shape. Just a couple of tiny wear marks here and there.

Still, the nice people at the Apple Mail in Center refused to repair it due to pre-existing damage?

He lost his phone for the week it was in the mail. Lesson learned, they don't want to fix squat!
    Last edited by Rev Sim; 11-02-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    ...Dwarven Miner - I found a free chest roll for ye, but I was ambushed by a Dev in the mine.
    Lil rascal made away with it...