Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I Love/Hate Trump! Discuss!

Blog Entries

The first health insurance in the US, Blue Cross, began as a nonprofit. Hospitals were once run by religious organizations, charities, cities, and states.

Of course at that time, things like heroin and cocaine were used medicinally, with a lower rate of addiction and overdose than we see with synthetic opioids today.
    Last edited by VersionsOfViolence; 10-05-2019 at 09:11 PM.
    ~VoV~

Nonprofit? Charity? What kind of non Murica thing is that!!! You must be talking about Russia, Sir!

/s
    Last edited by Rev Sim; 10-05-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    ...Dwarven Miner - I found a free chest roll for ye, but I was ambushed by a Dev in the mine.
    Lil rascal made away with it...

Opinions The Hunter Biden story is a troubling tale of privilege

OMG. Talk about the ultimate way to enable someone to never get off of drugs. Here, here, here. Have a hundred thou or perhaps two.

washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-hunter-biden-story-is-a-troubling-tale-of-privilege/2019/10/04

Oh, this is too good to not share. A real class act here.
    In August, his brother Beau received the initial diagnosis of the brain cancer that would eventually kill him. By February of 2014, Hunter was discharged from the Navy for testing positive for cocaine. The next spring, Beau died. In October 2015, Hunter separated from his wife Kathleen. She filed for divorce in 2016, and in paperwork complained that Hunter had been “spending extravagantly on his own interests including drugs, alcohol, prostitutes, strip clubs, and gifts for women with whom he has sexual relations.” Sometime in 2016, Hunter began dating Beau’s widow, which family members claimed to be supportive of, but that relationship unraveled by early 2019.
    Last edited by Rev Sim; 10-06-2019 at 08:45 PM.
    ...Dwarven Miner - I found a free chest roll for ye, but I was ambushed by a Dev in the mine.

Blog Entries

It's a tax write-off. Duh.
    ~VoV~

5. Default

Speaking of tax write offs...

Judge orders Trump to hand over tax returns to NY prosecutors, blasts immunity claim as 'repugnant'

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge on Monday said U.S. President Donald Trump must hand over eight years of tax returns to Manhattan prosecutors, forcefully rejecting the president’s argument that he was immune from criminal investigations.
    Last edited by Shadow Reaper; 10-07-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!" - Rev Sim

"Gratuitous acts of senseless violence are -my- forte!" - Max

6. Default

I get really irritated by the people that don't want public health coverage because they "don't want to pay for other people's health care."

Do they not realize that's exactly what insurance is? It's a pool of shared money to pay for other people's health care.

The differences are that by being broken into small groups, they don't have the purchasing power to control high prices like a single payer, and as a for-profit business, the pool is constantly being drained by middlemen chiselers & skimmers, and life-saving coverage is being denied because it eats the profits.

Blog Entries

When government pays for stuff, we end up with $200 hammers and $350 toilet seats. This is why & how the most life-enabling medications are so insanely expensive, because they can be.

Government programs pay for something like 80% of all HIV medications in the US. So the price of a month's supply is $2000 or more per medication. Diabetic insulin is treated the same, even though it has been around in the same form for much longer.

I still owe $120,000 from my health issues last year because of screwups in hospital paperwork.
    ~VoV~

Medicare has the lowest reimbursement rate for doctors, hospitals, medications. So in this case, when government pays for stuff, it pays less for the exact same stuff compared to insurance companies.

Now, not that it is prefect. It is a total mess. All other first world countries put managed prices on medications. IE: Canada says that insulin is not worth $600 cash. Canada has capped the price that can be charged.

But, you just confused me Rev. You said Medicare pays less in the US. Yep. While the cash price for that might be $600 if you have insurance, the insurance company could be paying $475 for it. The less costly Medicare is only paying $398 for it. In this case... Gubbermint is saving money!!!

Now, forget the fact that if you take $95 cash up to Canada... YOU can BUY the exact same thing.

Our problem is not that we have too much control... We need to be more like Canada and exert more control.

worldpopulationreview.com/countries/best-healthcare-in-the-world

Based on population...
    1. France
    2. Italy
    3. San Marino
    37. Freaking United States <--- 'Murica is #1, #1, #1.

It is a shame that we live in a system that will bankrupt someone for getting cancer.

Or, that the US will let people just die, because they currently don't have enough money to buy life saving insulin.

usatoday.com/in-depth/news/50-states/2019/03/21/diabetes-insulin-costs-diabetics-drug-prices-increase

The price of modern versions of a drug that more than 7 million Americans need to live nearly tripled from 2002 to 2013, according to one study. Type 1 diabetics paid an average of $5,705 for insulin in 2016 – nearly double what they paid in 2012, according to the Health Care Cost Institute.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Sim View Post
    Based on population...
    1. France
    2. Italy
    3. San Marino
    37. Freaking United States <--- 'Murica is #1, #1, #1.
    That's a funny way of saying that the health care system here is #2.
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!" - Rev Sim

"Gratuitous acts of senseless violence are -my- forte!" - Max