Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayor Pete Buttigieg the almost Perfect Democratic Candidate

Default Mayor Pete Buttigieg the almost Perfect Democratic Candidate

News came out about how people love this guy aka Mayor Pete. Mayor Pete received almost $25 million of love recently.

I like Mayor Pete the best out of all the Democratic contender: (1) wickedly fast for thinking on his feet, (2) very emotive, engaging and empathetic, and (3) great credentials. (Separately, I think M. Harris will flame out and Biden and Sanders as contenders who already had their chance so voters want something new and sexy).

Here is Mayor Pete’s biggest handicap (no, it’s not that he’s gay — guy already served 7 months in combat), it’s his height.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heig...tion_of_height

The Donald at being 6’ + towers over Mayor Pete so the visual comparison won’t be good for Mayor Pete during televised debates.

The second handicap is Trump had already outplayed his competitors. Nice article by NPR pointing out:
    “There's evidence that the economy particularly bears on voters' choices. Yale economist Ray Fair has a relatively well-known model for predicting the popular vote based on economic indicators. His latest prediction, as of April: that the Democratic nominee will get 45 percent of the popular vote.”

Source: https://www.npr.org/2019/06/29/73705...ts-the-economy

If the economy turns South, Trump loses his edge. But keep in mind that roughly 55% of the US voters are female!! So how these females will feel at 2020 vs 4 years ago will be the deciding factor. It was the White women voters that put Trump in office in 2016.

The third biggest handicap is fund raising:
    Donald has $97+ million in his kitty
    Mayor Pete $7+ million kitty (before about $25 mil in new life)
    Source: https://www.fec.gov/data/elections/p...nancial-totals

The edge goes to Trump because he is a gifted marketing genius. It was estimated that Trump got $5B worth of free advertising based on the media coverage from Trump’s in inciteful (and not insightful) comments. MAGA was pure genius and KAGA is also pure genius. It’s a simple message and how could you not want America to be great again.

The issue of how Americans will respond to Mayor’s Pete’s marriage partner on stage is still a big question market. While America is open to a gay candidate, the “husband-wife” bonding on stage is an unknown... do they kiss?? It’s going to be a very defining but polarizing moment.

- Batw

PS I remember watching the VP Bush (under Reagan) vs Ferraro (first female VP candidate) debate and while Ferraro won on merits, she lost the overall debate because she kept looking at her notes and not at the audience. Basically Ferraro was too ceberal and tone deaf when coming across being engaging with the audience. M. Harris has the same thing problem of not being engaging with the audience... Harris’ lack of empathy is astounding. Mayor Pete has a certain charisma that is engaging and you want to hear more about what he is saying. Trump is very charismatic and has a certain charm with his base.

Blog Entries

I think daily headlines will be of an indicator of who will get the Democratic nomination.

The possible outbreak of war between Israel and Iran demands a candidate with seriously proven foreign policy experience. So Biden wins.

If the markets collapse, then Warren or Bernie have a real shot.

As it stands now, I think Harris has an edge over Biden after the debates, and a surge of new money with the Donald Jr deleted retweet.

While Bootyboy encapsulates the majority of my White House s&m fantasies, I don't see him as a frontrunner. Pride month is over, and he hasn't even gotten the majority of LGBTQ+ money or endorsements yet.
    ~VoV~

Running Biden is the best path for another four years of Trump. It takes someone slightly radical to win against an incumbent radical. Anyone moderate has already lost the race. See you in a few years to say I told you that was going to happen.
    ...Dwarven Miner - I found a free chest roll for ye, but I was ambushed by a Dev in the mine.
    Lil rascal made away with it...

4. Default

I have to agree that I don't see Biden winning.

To be completely honest, I'm still surprised that he was so high up in the polls given that he's a walking talking metoo story and the dems were pretty vocal about how they felt about people who grab at women.

Silly me is kind of expecting them to be consistent on that.

(mind you, I don't doubt the man's skills as a politician. I quite like him actually when it comes to that.)

That said, I believe that the dems will only stand a chance if they don't cling to the established order too much.

What we saw in the last election is that the dems favored the establishment to such a degree that they rigged the primaries in favor of Clinton who pretty much screamed "establishment".

If they can embrace the fact that they need to bring actual change instead of trying to phone it in then they could do alright.

I'm considering that a wait and see.

So far it seems like at least a bunch of candidates are not quite interested in keeping the established order.

Now if they also don't go bat crap lefty on us then it could just turn out alright.
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!" - Rev Sim

"Gratuitous acts of senseless violence are -my- forte!" - Max

The health care system is broke. We don't have to take away all the "rich perks" to fix it either. Muricans believe that if we reform it, the only option is that Steve Jobs (people with means) will end up in a 40 person open ward with 39 wino's (people without means) all getting meatball surgery. That is just a fear myth that was pushed upon them. So far, they have been too blind to see thru it.

Read the Linked Article Below People!

Americans are divided about how to pay for medical care and insurance, an issue that will continue to be debated hotly as presidential candidates tout their plans for overhauling the nation’s health care industry.

Last edited by Rev Sim; 07-03-2019 at 01:30 AM.
    ...Dwarven Miner - I found a free chest roll for ye, but I was ambushed by a Dev in the mine.

6. Default

Couldn't quite read your article as it started badgering me about my ad blocker. In my experience when sites start doing that they generally have invasive ads so I just stop visiting them.

That said, when it comes to how to deal with health care there is a very important thing that I have learned. Most people don't know how to differentiate between government paid and government run. When discussing things like medicare (which we totally need btw) you often see people arguing that they don't want the government in their business like that. However, that wouldn't be the case because the system would be government -paid- not government -run-. The feds would just be paying the bill. Nothing more, probably less.

Another thing I often see mentioned is that taxes would go up. Which is true. Taxes would go up by about the same amount as your current premium which you wouldn't be paying anymore. Seems like a fair deal to me.

It's not surprising that the average Joe doesn't know what to be in favor of given that both sides are doing great at confusing us with contradictory talk.

Let one thing be clear though, -both- parties are invested in the current system enough that unless we break the current establishment there will be -nothing- done to improve the actual situation. Too much money is made by the establishment to inspire actual change.
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!" - Rev Sim

Couldn't quite read your article as it started badgering me about my ad blocker. In my experience when sites start doing that they generally have invasive ads so I just stop visiting them.
    Block Javascript for that site. That works to kill 90% of the adblock running alerts. You will be able to read the text, but the page render will be incomplete. I had no trouble reading it that way. Yes, I also hate invasive ads.
    Last edited by Rev Sim; 07-03-2019 at 02:32 AM.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Sim View Post
    Block Javascript for that site. That works to kill 90% of the adblock running alerts. You will be able to read the text, but the page render will be incomplete. I had no trouble reading it that way. Yes, I also hate invasive ads.
    I block javascripts on all sites by default. this one still managed to whine. May have to confirm that I didn't allow them at one point.

Edit: for some reason the page did load behind the adblock popup after I accidentally pressed escape? I nuked the popup and was able to read the article. I believe that we -do- need to go to a system similar to what the Germans have.
    Last edited by Shadow Reaper; 07-03-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Current USA system lacks a lot. We got our head in the sand chanting #1 while a lot of the world spends less and has longer lifespans. It don't make sense.

Run Nate for Prez. He will make sure that everyone can get access to great healthcare with affordable scaling bills that everyone can afford!

Sure, we might have to put up with topless male nurses, but...

10. Default

Apparently the dems may have some other things going for them this time around.

This for instance:

NRA meltdown has Trump campaign sweating

Republicans worry that the NRA and two other groups that have long formed the core of their electoral infrastructure will be effectively on the sidelines.
    You would think that with the creation of (super) pacs both parties would be less dependent on traditional groups like the NRA but that seems to not be the case.

Now... as for the health care issue...

When Trump was campaigning in the 2016 race he was making some great statements about how to change health care. I wouldn't say that he was in favor of single payer but the things he was saying I could agree with. Sadly he then asked his comrades to come up with the changes and those comrades -still- insist that the best healthcare solution is to just not get sick.

I think that is really the main issue with health care. You can have a candidate screaming exactly what we need to do but if congress won't follow through on those words and instead does it's own stupid things then we still don't get anywhere.
    Last edited by Shadow Reaper; 07-03-2019 at 11:25 PM. Reason: I really shouldn't be making posts before noon. So many spelling errors. Sigh