Thread: Concentration vs Internment Camps

Default Concentration vs Internment Camps

The US has a long history of using concentration camps and this is a known fact.

The US took native Americans and kept them in reservations (also known as rancheria’s out West) or known as the “Rez” to those living in these hellholes.

Another example of US concentration camps was during WWII where US citizens of Japanese descent lost both personal property and their civil liberties.

Illegal immigrant who are not US Citizens are kept in internment or detainment camps. US concentration camps are only for natives or US citizens.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is confused and ignorant. The distinction is that illegal immigrants who voluntarily enter the US by violating US Customs and Immigration laws need a place to be processed. The correct term is internment camps.

Lastly, “internment camps” is the correct usage for mass refugees located in one area in neighboring nations when voluntarily fleeing a war as an example. You also see the term “refugee camp” being used in news articles. You almost never see concentration camps used in this situation in articles.

In summary, it’s one thing if the US took its own citizens (or natives) and placed in one location like a concentration camp. It’s another thing if illegal immigrants voluntarily entered the US en mass and need a place to be process. The US is not designed for processing 100,000+ illegal immigrants entering the country per month.

2. Default

I honestly have no idea what the point is to this thread but I do know that the people at Merriam Webster don't agree with you.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...tration%20camp

a place where large numbers of people (such as prisoners of war, political prisoners, refugees, or the members of an ethnic or religious minority) are detained or confined under armed guard —used especially in reference to camps created by the Nazis in World War II for the internment and persecution of Jews and other prisoners
    Note how refugees are in that list.

It should also be noted that an internment camp is not a thing that is defined in any dictionary. Even vague online dictionaries will refer to "internment" rather than "internment camp". All sources however agree with the following which I'll quote from Wikipedia as that is likely the most trusted source that has a good description of the word internment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment

Internment is the imprisonment of people, commonly in large groups, without charges or intent to file charges, and thus no trial. The term is especially used for the confinement "of enemy citizens in wartime or of terrorism suspects".
    Looking how the dictionary defines the word we get the following:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intern#h3

(link referred from Internment)

to confine or impound especially during a war
    intern enemy aliens
    That all raises three issues.

1. Refugees are not suspected terrorists.
    2. Refugees are not enemy citizens.
    3. Refugees are not enemy aliens.

Given the above I personally think that neither phrase is correct as we aren't talking about enemies in any form and we -are- intending to process the people who are kept there rather than keep them there indefinitely as is generally the intent with internment. However, if a term must be chosen then concentration camp does appear to be the correct term.

Of course if you have any further evidence to support your claim then I'll happily consider it.

(Btw, concentration camps have history before WW2. Although the ones employed during WW2 are likely the most gruesome.)
    Last edited by Shadow Reaper; 06-25-2019 at 01:54 AM.
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!" - Rev Sim

"Gratuitous acts of senseless violence are -my- forte!" - Max

Blog Entries

While the term "concentration camps" most often invokes the Nazi Death Camps, this is but a small portion of the truth.

1) Concentration camps have been used throughout EurAsia for centuries.
    2) Most Jews killed in the Nazi regime were gunned down quite close to their own homes, never even seeing a concentration camp.

So AOC isn't exactly wrong. Or wrong in any way at all.

I won't go into the entire "slippery slope" argument, but really, what's next? What checks and balances can possibly exist in such detention centers? How can the public be certain that each and every person detained is accounted for, and released properly or imprisoned for real crimes?

We can't possibly track each and every organ waiting list to verify that the long lines of waiting recipients doesn't get shortened drastically. We can't be certain that Pfizer, Bayer, or even our own government aren't running tests on the populations of these centers.

Hell, our government has run tests on our own troops ffs. What's to stop them from doing it to unwanted illegal immigrants.

Compassion? If that were true, then the crisis wouldn't exist.
    ~VoV~