Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server Wipe

1. Default Server Wipe

Create a new server where people can start at the bottom.

In ode to World of Warcraft Classic being released, this game needs something similar. So we can all start a lvl 1, and PVP again ;p like in the early days.

NO THANKS!!!, been at this for near 6 years and would NOT like to start over again.

Blog Entries

This has already been tried, unsuccessfully, with Castle Age: Heart of Darkness.
    ~VoV~

Quote Originally Posted by VersionsOfViolence View Post
    This has already been tried, unsuccessfully, with Castle Age: Heart of Darkness.
    I liked that game while it was around. It felt like they put a lot of work into releasing a very nice upgrade to CA, but the updates were few and far between and the game just never really got off the ground. It was lagging so far behind CA in terms of features and functionality that it was just too basic in comparison. Also, I think it kind of came out at a bad time - toward the dwindling of Facebook game insanity and before iOS was a viable alternative. It's really too bad because it was very promising I thought.

i liked that game also, was sad to see it go

on a side note bringing up Heart Of Darkness
    i wonder what it would take if they ever said they were going to close CA and us fans TAKE OVER the game, and what it would involve in the way of servers and people to write code, and fix the problems in the game. also finding people that cannot be swayed to cheat(ie unlimited chest rolling, FP, etc) to themselves and or friends. and to still have everything pretty much the same way it is now. just a crazy question awaiting crazy answers

Blog Entries

Im sure that Gaea may be persuaded to sell the game off, if the offer had enough $000000s in it. Add a few more and you could probably buy the whole company.

A player buyout could be crowdfunded, like any company.

But, how big of a mess is the actual game code at this point? If the fixes we all want were easy, then they likely would have already been done. So aside from buying the game, serious money would have to be invested into development and fixes, at a balanced rate, to maintain or increase revenue. We have had players that I believe would be perfect for the job, namely Pooh, but would they be interested, and willing to negotiate a manageable salary for it?

I call dibs on President of any player funded company taking the game over though.
    Last edited by VersionsOfViolence; 05-30-2019 at 02:52 PM.
    ~VoV~

8. Default

I can't help but feel that if a reset was done that the game would hemorrhage to death before Gaea even realized what had happened.

The game really isn't friendly for new players, it's a horrible grind that for a big chunk really isn't enjoyable, and that comes on top of people losing whatever monetary investments they made in the game.

If you force people to go through that again they'll simply refuse and move on to a new game.

Now, as for buying the game, I'm more or less of the same belief as Nate that if there were enough zeroes involved, Gaea would sell. But I also believe that at this point any developer would be better off making a new game rather than try to "fix" this mess of a code Phoenix Age tried to pass off as a game. There is a reason why their newer games don't really suffer the same issues as CA does. We've been the testing ground for all sorts of stuff and that is only part of the reason why the game has suffered issues that can't be fixed.

So if a group of players were wanting to buy the game they would be better off buying the IP instead and then building a new game with tha., Castle Age 2.0 so to speak which could bring the good stuff from the original game, remove the bad things from the game, and bring it to -all- platforms instead of this half mobile half pc based nonsense.
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!" - Rev Sim

"Gratuitous acts of senseless violence are -my- forte!" - Max

I think if the game were sold to players it would need to change format to a subscription style. Relying on micro transaction purchases to continuously raise revenue might be a bit too unpredictable in order to secure the full-time coders needed to maintain the game. I guess you could still have micro transactions but there would probably need to be some sort of stability in terms of continuous guaranteed revenue. Also crowdfunding a takeover and starting a company is really more of an investing model as opposed to a crowdfunding model. Assuming the game is still generating income then it might make sense to either compensate the initial investors and privatize the company because it otherwise it has lawsuits written all over it.

as far away as possible from the rest of the world <_<
    Blog Entries

And it's also been done with some measure of success in Underworld Empire.