Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monster Rank Points and Legendary drops

Lightbulb Monster Rank Points and Legendary drops

I'm wondering whether the 2 are related. They seem to be, to some extent at least.

---------------------------------------
    Reminder: Monster Rank Points

When you collect on a monster there's a text box saying:
    <Player Name> honors their Guild, <Guild Name>, by achieving victory against <Monster Name> and earning <points amount> Monster Rank Points!

It's the points added to your monthly total for your internal ranking among your guildmates, and which count towards your guild's rank on the Monster Leaderboard every month.
    ---------------------------------------

Back to the topic.

Usually, when I go for the Legendary drop on a Monster (or the max amount of epic drops for mobs with no legendary), when I collect I also get the max amount of Monster Rank Points possible (the amount you can get is different for each monster and is capped at a certain amount of damage dealt).

Well last time I went for a Legendary drop on a Kessaran. The wiki says you need 10,400,000 damage for 99% chance a legendary drop:
    https://castleage.fandom.com/wiki/Kessaran,_the_Undying

I did 10,679,587 damage (it was above 10.4M even if I removed healing done), and got no legendary drop.

And I got 17,062 Monster Rank Points.

While the max amount (verified by checking the log for several guildmates) is 19,500 Monster Rank Points.

Although I haven't kept track of anything, I've also noticed on plenty of monsters that when I go above the max damage required for max loot (according to the wiki), I get the max amount possible of Monster Rank Points, while when I'm under the required damage, I don't get the max amount of Rank Points possible.

I think this is interesting because if you do get the max amount of Monster Rank Points for the same amount of damage which is required for max loot, then it's super easy to determine the (almost exact) damage required for legendary drops/max loot.

Has this ever been examined by anyone?

So you know there is no guarantee that if you do legendary level damage you'll get a legendary drop. The chance is something like 99%, but there is always going to be someone that does the prescribed damage and won't get the loot.
    Forum Rules | Infraction System | Informational Threads | FAQ | Gaea ToS & Privacy Policy

"The universe is already mad, anything else would be redundant" - Londo Mollari

Quote Originally Posted by Mursilis View Post
    So you know there is no guarantee that if you do legendary level damage you'll get a legendary drop. The chance is something like 99%, but there is always going to be someone that does the prescribed damage and won't get the loot.
    Is it true though?

I've always seen the "99%" on the wiki as a way of saying "we're not 100% sure what the required amount for a guaranteed drop is and we're not going to assure to you that we're sure of the exact number".

I'm pretty sure many monsters do have a "100%" amount of damage.

On monsters like Astaroth, Varg, Ouro or Samael for instance, I've never not gotten a legendary drop (and 3 epics) if I went above the recommended "99%" number.
    99% was put there on their wiki pages because it was written like that on other monsters pages, and it's easier to put it that way from the beginning (for reasons like the one I wrote on my second sentence of this post).
    But has it actually been observed that the drop rate was NOT 100% above a certain amount of damage? I haven't checked the spreadsheets for each of these monsters, but if a few people have reported not getting a drop while being at least 5M above the current "99%" number, it might also be an error from them.

Though there are some monsters who probably don't have a 100% chance for certain drops (a 4th rare drop for Ouroboros does seem to never be guaranteed for instance, or a legendary drop on Azriel...).
    But I'm pretty sure many (most?) monsters which have a "99%" number advertised do have a 100% chance to give their top drop at a certain amount of damage.

And not only because that's what I've been experiencing, but also because it makes absolutely no sense at all giving only a 99%ish chance at a drop. 50%, or even 66% or 75% for instance? Why not. But 99%? I mean as a developer, you'd give a 100% chance at that point (I know this reasoning is not a proof in itself though).
    Last edited by gogoo; 04-19-2019 at 06:22 PM.

To my knowledge and play experience, I would say most monsters have a threshold for 100% guaranted legendary / epic... drop.

There are some that don't. I am looking at you, Azriel, Alexandra... as Gogoo said.

The reason the wiki says 99% (at least in all the edits I made where it said 100% previously) is mainly the lack of data in general or the lack of recent data in monsters that had their thresholds changed. There is also the fact that data comes from players and can't be verified.
    In this context I would rather say 99% than 100% and receive angry complains.

Edit: I still remember a player who got mad at me because while adding the chart I made a mistake copying damage for gold medal on a minor monster, not a Chromus or alike if I remember correctly. No way I am saying anything has 100% chance to happen hahahahahaa
    Last edited by Barathor; 04-19-2019 at 09:13 PM. Reason: grammar fix

Quote Originally Posted by Barathor View Post
    In this context I would rather say 99% than 100% and receive angry complains.

Edit: I still remember a player who got mad at me because while adding the chart I made a mistake copying damage for gold medal on a minor monster, not a Chromus or alike if I remember correctly. No way I am saying anything has 100% chance to happen hahahahahaa
    lmao yeah that's what I figured out

I think it's better to have it say 99%. People will still go for that number anyway so it doesn't matter and if ever someone doesn't get a drop for some reason he can't complain to the wiki (or the editor directly lol).

So anyway, I don't know if you have an opinion on the matter Barathor, but I think the Monster Rank Points can be useful after all :P

For instance, Alexandra probably doesn't have a 100% chance for a legendary drop, but if we determine the amount of dmg needed for max Rank Points, maybe that gives us the damage amount after which the chance of a drop stops increasing.

That may not be the case though, idk. Maybe it's only the case for some monsters. It does really look to me like it works for many mobs though.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoo View Post
    So anyway, I don't know if you have an opinion on the matter Barathor, but I think the Monster Rank Points can be useful after all :P
    I still don't have an opinion, I had never paid attention to those points before. Interesting theory, though.

Just an observation supporting my theory:

Samael:
    - 103,700,000 required for guaranteed Legendary drop according to the wiki.
    - Max Rank Points: 35,910

Someone who dealt 94,690,211 dmg on a Samael got 33,516 Monster Rank Points for it.
    Both values being very close to the max values.

Edit: Frankly, I'm pretty sure this must work, at least for most monsters (my theory is that damage requirement for max Rank Points and for max loot is the same).

On another note:
    I did 63,770,906 dmg on the Samael and got 25,137 Monster Rank Points.
    Another player dealt 65,196,979 dmg and got 25,137 Monster Rank Points as well.

So the amounts you can get are "tiered". You won't get an exact value corresponding to an exact amount of damage.
    It's most likely like this: between this much damage and that much damage, you get this exact amount of Monster Rank Points.
    Last edited by gogoo; 04-29-2019 at 11:52 PM.

A lot of time and effort, Thank you
    Please hold, your call is important to us

https://apps.facebook.com/castle_age...ser=1077439080

9. Default

In your guild, under the monster tab, where it shows how many Monster ranks points you've earned this month, you can see everyoine collecting in your guild. I see several
    "by achieving victory against Svarog, the Magmapede and earning 29,754 Monster Rank Points"
    so I'm guessing that's the max.
    I also see multiples of:
    by achieving victory against Baal, Stealer of Souls and earning 20,542 Monster Rank Points!
    by achieving victory against Vargulis and earning 70,875 Monster Rank Points!
    by achieving victory against Ogrimus, Death Rat Horde and earning 71,400 Monster Rank Points!+
    EDIT: no idea if these are max, it just seemed likely they are
    Last edited by cat13; 05-22-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
    A lot of time and effort, Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by cat13 View Post
    In your guild, under the monster tab, where it shows how many Monster ranks points you've earned this month, you can see everyoine collecting in your guild. I see several
    "by achieving victory against Svarog, the Magmapede and earning 29,754 Monster Rank Points"
    so I'm guessing that's the max.
    Yeah I do that as well, LoM mobs are the easiest way to record those values.
    I'm also trying to determine the minimum damage required to get the max Rank Points, but that takes more time. LoM mobs are also really useful for this.

Though be careful, you can get the same amount of Rank Points with different damage amounts.
    There are a certain number of fixed Rank Points you can get for certain ranged of damages.
    For instance, on a Vargulis, I got 68,512 Monster Rank Points with both 197,468,539 dmg and 201,204,617 dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by cat13 View Post
    I also see multiples of:
    by achieving victory against Baal, Stealer of Souls and earning 20,542 Monster Rank Points!
    by achieving victory against Vargulis and earning 70,875 Monster Rank Points!
    by achieving victory against Ogrimus, Death Rat Horde and earning 71,400 Monster Rank Points!+
    EDIT: no idea if these are max, it just seemed likely they are
    Thanks for reporting!

To be sure these are the max, basically you can just check the person that did the most damage on the monster and see how many Rank Points he got.
    From what I've seen, once you deal above the legendary threshold, you get max rank point (if the legendary threshold reported in the wiki is right, ofc - which is the reason I made this thread in the first place!). If someone deals a lot more than what is required for 99% chance at a legendary drop, I think you can be sure he'll get the max amount of Rank Points.

The Vargulis value you reported is indeed the max value
    I can't verify the others - I'm taking note of them and use them to double check data from other reports (since you're not sure about them, I'm not going to edit the wiki with them yet)
    Last edited by gogoo; 05-24-2019 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo