Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: general alliances guidance

Quote Originally Posted by Batw View Post
    Starting at lvl 5, Barb gives you extra bonus dmg for monsters but it takes some amount of stamina to get the full benefit. I have a 6 star lvl 80 Barb that awards a buff of +23.2% monster damage.

If you use 20 stamina hits (60 stamina in all), then after a while, every 2nd hit will award an essence drop (for mobs that drop essence) so you are more efficient at getting essences and associated drops (e.g. powder, crystals, etc). You now know when to stop hitting and hope the mob dies on the 2nd hit.

Since the Devís revised alliance rules that penalize generals with same/similar buff, you want a portfolio of monster hunting generals to maximize your buffs. Most monster alliance has Barbarus - Dolomar - Sahar or associated equivalents, respectively, in some fashion (not necessary in that order). My monster hunting alliance is Barbarus - Dolomar - MK.

The question to invest in Barbarus vs Dolomar when you can level only one general (e.g. you have limited resources) comes down to your preference (ideally, you want to level both).

Suppose I offer you a choice with a coin toss: heads you win $100 and tails you get $0. The Expected Value is $50, but there is some variance (risk) in this choice.

Now suppose, I offer you a guaranteed $20 rather than take the coin toss (where the EV is $50!!! and you could win $100!!!).

In that situation, Iíll take the guaranteed $20 because I am risk adverse. If you trust the math and use EV, then Dolomar wins. However, if you trust the math and use mean-variance or EV/Var, then Barbarus can win. Basically, we donít live by EV alone.

Barbarus gives you a guaranteed monster dmg (after being charged up) while Dolomar with the critic hit buff gives higher EV in monster damage but has variance (e.g. you could go 10 to 20 hits without a critical). I like to plan ahead so knowing the floor value of stamina needed makes Barbarus the head of my alliance (and saves me energy for healing). I am the type of player who plans 100+ lvls ahead.

Great explanation - thank you. I was not aware he got bonus monster damage at level 5 and up.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Batw View Post

In 10v10, I've hit for 16 tokens when I should have only got 10. I get upset if the MK buff doesn't give me at least 1 extra hit in the first 10 tokens.

True I forget about MK since I don't have him at all

what is this 100v donation rewards?

"When we saw we were fighting a guild of 29, we said it would end in a slaughter. It did, but not quite how we thought."
    http://apps.facebook.com/castle_age/...user=500580639

Blog Entries

You have to be in a Guild, then donate the necessary amounts of iron and wood to unlock the rewards. Click on the 100v timer on your homepage when battle isn't on, then click the Donation Rewards button.

There are some decent Warbanners there too.
    Last edited by VersionsOfViolence; 02-28-2019 at 07:14 PM.
    ~VoV~

The case can be made for Caine (same monster hunter ability) instead of Barbarus as well.

Pros- He's balanced so he won't be competing with Dolomar for red potions/crystals. Balanced generals are much easier to level (less red/green crystal requirements). He's also much easier to find in the Mystic Emporium, so promoting past 5 star far easier.

Cons - He's balanced, so his stats won't go as high as Barbarus, which is hugely beneficial in monster hunting. It all depends on where you would put Barb/Caine in your alliance though. If it's in the third spot, it's not too big a hit in stats. Also, no 3x hits if that's what you're looking for.

I use Caine in the third spot and don't regret it. I've long had him at level 80 whereas I still wouldn't have a third aggressive general anywhere close to that, so it balances out. Plus, I'm very close to 7 starring him due to his frequent Mystic Emporium appearances.

Blog Entries

If you're using Caine, then it probably makes sense to use Maalvus. Maalvus is also balanced, so easier to upgrade, and has +crit along with his 3x power attacks.

Straticus adds extra damage when you do get a crit.
    ~VoV~

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by VersionsOfViolence View Post
    If you're using Caine, then it probably makes sense to use Maalvus. Maalvus is also balanced, so easier to upgrade, and has +crit along with his 3x power attacks.

Straticus adds extra damage when you do get a crit.
    Maalvus' crit rate is pretty low compared to Dolo, however.

Blog Entries

At 3* level 80, Maalvus has a +15.63% crit rate. While that may be lower than Dolomar, crit rate can be raised by gear and chaos gems anyway, so the other 2 spots in the alliance can go to other generals with different monster hunting abilities, like Caine, Monkeh King, Straticus, etc.

While you may lose damage due to balanced stats vs aggressive, Maalvus can be much easier to level, requiring fewer red and green crystals. In newer monsters, using a balanced general allows more teamwork, making sure the red and green bars don't decay faster than your guildies can fill them.
    ~VoV~

At 3* level 80, Maalvus has a +15.63% crit rate. While that may be lower than Dolomar, crit rate can be raised by gear and chaos gems anyway, so the other 2 spots in the alliance can go to other generals with different monster hunting abilities, like Caine, Monkeh King, Straticus, etc.

While you may lose damage due to balanced stats vs aggressive, Maalvus can be much easier to level, requiring fewer red and green crystals.
    It just really comes down to whether you plan for the long term or whether you want quicker benefits.

Personally I'd take Barbarus-Dolomar over Maalvus-Caine any time.

Barbarus-Dolomar give +7% CC and quite bigger alliance attack when promoted.

Personally I find it very significant. With the same gems, you'd still have +7% CC, and even more alliance attack with the "Aggressive General Boost" bonuses.
    As long as you don't reach 100% CC (currently impossible), having more crit is always just as good (no diminishing returns).

I know personally I'd regret choosing more immediate benefits earlier in the game when I reach level 79 or 80 with Maalvus-Caine.

By the way, Dolomar at level 54 has already more +%CC than Maalvus at level 80 (+15.87% vs +14.57%).

In newer monsters, using a balanced general allows more teamwork, making sure the red and green bars don't decay faster than your guildies can fill them.
    It also means attacking monsters on your own or on the public list will be very suboptimal most of the time (unless you spend your time waiting - how long? - for other people to attack first).
    Even though a balanced alliance can be somewhat useful, I'd rather (by a large margin) be able to level up the damage bar on my own with an aggressive alliance.
    Last edited by gogoo; 03-02-2019 at 01:18 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

I'm a team player though, much more likely to fight monsters with my guild, especially in Mist.

But I also inherited a level 80 Maalvus, so the choice was made, and now I have to make the most of it.
    ~VoV~