Thread: Stance vs Resistance

1. Default Stance vs Resistance

I'm trying to figure out alliances when attacking a stance monster with resist. Taking into account equipment, gems and general abilities, is it better to attack with:
    1. General with low(-er) combined stats and low pierce power
    2. General with high combined stats and high pierce (but still not enough to overcome the monster's)
    3. General with combined stats between the above two and same pierce power as the second but with equal stance (Although I think stance is of no consequence except to open chances for epic and legendary drops.)

I tried attacking and while I can see some difference, I am not sure just how much of an impact it will have.
    Last edited by dayrep; 01-22-2019 at 07:06 AM.

I'm not sure I understand everything correctly but I'll try to answer.

You only need to reach the stance of the monster in order to earn CP. Anything above that won't add anything (if a monster stance is 30, as long as your alliance makes you reach 30 stance, you're goo to go - whether you have 30 or 150 won't change anything).

About general stats & pierce:
    I think you just need to test. It will be easier than doing the math.
    Make your alliance, do a 20 stam hit, write down how much damage you did.
    Change your alliance, hit again, see if you did more or less damage.
    Make sure the health bar is full each time for a more precise comparison. Also if you're using Barbarus, it will increase your damage a bit on the 2nd hit but with 20-60 stam it shouldn't change much.

It really depends on how much pierce you're missing and how big the stats difference is, so we can't tell you just like that. If the stats difference is rather low, then you should probably go with more pierce. If the stats difference is big, maybe not. Just test it.

After reading your post again I see you did try - if it doesn't make much difference you have your answer then. Since it makes "some" difference, just use the alliance which does a bit more dmg even if it's not much.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gogoo View Post
    I'm not sure I understand everything correctly but I'll try to answer.
    My bad, I'll try to elaborate but you'll have to excuse me because I'm also confused. lol

You only need to reach the stance of the monster in order to earn CP. Anything above that won't add anything (if a monster stance is 30, as long as your alliance makes you reach 30 stance, you're goo to go - whether you have 30 or 150 won't change anything).
    BUt CP does not really contribute to the drop rate yes?

For example, I have 20M dmg against 7M CP (gained when I was using an equivalent stance). Does CP have to be equivalent to the dmg to ensure an epic or legendary drop?

OR, since I already earned some CP, I can just plug away --- for example 65M dmg / 7M CP --- and still get at least 1 epic drop.

About general stats & pierce:
    I think you just need to test. It will be easier than doing the math.
    Make your alliance, do a 20 stam hit, write down how much damage you did.
    Change your alliance, hit again, see if you did more or less damage.
    Make sure the health bar is full each time for a more precise comparison. Also if you're using Barbarus, it will increase your damage a bit on the 2nd hit but with 20-60 stam it shouldn't change much.

It really depends on how much pierce you're missing and how big the stats difference is, so we can't tell you just like that. If the stats difference is rather low, then you should probably go with more pierce. If the stats difference is big, maybe not. Just test it.
    I'll use Chromus as an example because that monster is on my list.

In terms of pierce/resist, I can push it up to 200 pierce if I were to equip the best pierce items. In exchange, I lose at least 90 points --- 50 stat points for the general and another 40 or so in equipment. AND I still have 50% of Chromus' resist to contend with.

So my question is: how much does pierce contribute to the actual results?

I cannot see a difference in GBs so I'm not sure if it contributes anything to the actual damage done. Or is resist just like DP --- match the monster's DP to get your damage in full?

Quote Originally Posted by dayrep View Post
    BUt CP does not really contribute to the drop rate yes?

For example, I have 20M dmg against 7M CP (gained when I was using an equivalent stance). Does CP have to be equivalent to the dmg to ensure an epic or legendary drop?

OR, since I already earned some CP, I can just plug away --- for example 65M dmg / 7M CP --- and still get at least 1 epic drop.
    CP does not contribute to the drop rates. You just need to reach a certain number so that you are eligible for a legendary drop; if you have 0 CP, no matter how much damage you deal, you won't be able to get a legendary drop (I think).
    Maybe a certain amount of CP is also needed for epic drops, idk.

CP doesn't need to be equivalent to damage. Actually, I'm not sure it would be possible. I always have more damage than CP.

I think we don't have enough data to know exactly the CP amount you need to go over for each stance monster in order to ensure a legendary drop.

The most stance you need for a monster is 60 (Phantom of Shadow). It should be really easy for your monster hunter alliance to be above 60. Why would you switch to another alliance which has less stance? Generals levels are really important for monster damage. Would it be for more pierce, against Chromus? If you can't easily reach a stance of 50, you shouldn't go after Chromus anyway - it's a too big monster for you.

Also idk if you've checked this page for a bit more info: https://castleage.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Stance

I'll use Chromus as an example because that monster is on my list.

In terms of pierce/resist, I can push it up to 200 pierce if I were to equip the best pierce items. In exchange, I lose at least 90 points --- 50 stat points for the general and another 40 or so in equipment. AND I still have 50% of Chromus' resist to contend with.

So my question is: how much does pierce contribute to the actual results?

I cannot see a difference in GBs so I'm not sure if it contributes anything to the actual damage done. Or is resist just like DP --- match the monster's DP to get your damage in full?
    If you can only reach 200 pierce, you should probably focus on other mobs than Chromus.

Anyway, if you only lose 90 stats points for more pierce, I'd say in this case it would be worth it.

You can see on the wiki how much damage Chromus resistance blocks:
    https://castleage.wikia.com/wiki/Chr...g.2FResistance
    +400 Piercing Resistance (Max block 40%)

So basically, with 200 pierce, 20% will still be blocked.

Why are you talking about GB? (I assume Guild Battles?).
    Pierce & Resistance doesn't work the same way in monsters and in PvP.
    You can learn more about this here: https://castleage.wikia.com/wiki/Pie...and_Resistance
    The way it works in PvP is kinda complicated, but it's really easy for monsters (as you can see with the Chromus example). And yeah it works the same as with DP, basically.

5. Default

CP does not contribute to the drop rates. You just need to reach a certain number so that you are eligible for a legendary drop; if you have 0 CP, no matter how much damage you deal, you won't be able to get a legendary drop (I think).
    Maybe a certain amount of CP is also needed for epic drops, idk.
    This is what I’m trying to find out. If the lootsheet says 3M for 1 epic, do you also need 3M CP?

The most stance you need for a monster is 60 (Phantom of Shadow). It should be really easy for your monster hunter alliance to be above 60. Why would you switch to another alliance which has less stance? Generals levels are really important for monster damage. Would it be for more pierce, against Chromus? If you can't easily reach a stance of 50, you shouldn't go after Chromus anyway - it's a too big monster for you.
    I can match Chromus’ CP, but I lose a good chunk of the general’s stats boost from the Time Keeper. I only have 200 pierce, so to make up for it, I just used the stat boost.

And I don’t think it’s too big. It’s the same as starting with DP before Poseidon was introduced, you’d have to contend with Jahanna’s 80 with the 20 from the demis.

Also idk if you've checked this page for a bit more info: https://castleage.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Stance
    I did before posting. Thank you.

Why are you talking about GB? (I assume Guild Battles?).
    Pierce & Resistance doesn't work the same way in monsters and in PvP.
    You can learn more about this here: https://castleage.wikia.com/wiki/Pie...and_Resistance
    The way it works in PvP is kinda complicated, but it's really easy for monsters (as you can see with the Chromus example). And yeah it works the same as with DP, basically.
    I have read that. Put simply, you just have to match it — which, like you said, is not a guessing game when it comes to monsters.

My question was: does piercing contribute to the damage delivered?

I srsly think the pierce/resist deal is one thing the devs overlooked when it was introduced. For example, in other games, if the target is aligned to a particular element, attacking it with the opposite element yields additional damage. (Which gives the player a reason to get more elemental weapons.)

This is what I’m trying to find out. If the lootsheet says 3M for 1 epic, do you also need 3M CP?
    No.
    But 3M is not much stamina. If you really want to know how it works, you can test it (try to do 0 CP and 3M dmg and see if you get the epic).

And I don’t think it’s too big. It’s the same as starting with DP before Poseidon was introduced, you’d have to contend with Jahanna’s 80 with the 20 from the demis.
    Well I gave you the numbers.
    400 resistance = 40% damage reduction if you have 0 pierce.
    That's 1% damage reduction per 10 physical resistance that you don't counter with pierce.
    That can mean that you'll have to use a lot more stamina, especially if you're going for a legendary drop. If you're only going for 1 rare drop on the other hand it's no big deal.

My question was: does piercing contribute to the damage delivered?
    No.
    Piercing only matters if the monster has resistance. If you match the resistance with you pierce, the damage reduction is nullified. Going over it won't change anything. It's the same as with DP.
    Last edited by gogoo; 01-24-2019 at 12:46 PM.

7. Default

No.
    But 3M is not much stamina. If you really want to know how it works, you can test it (try to do 0 CP and 3M dmg and see if you get the epic).
    33,700,646 dmg / 7.7M CP
    You have been awarded with: Mithril Band! [attack: 0 defense: 150]
    You have been awarded with: Green Chromus Core! [attack: 0 defense: 0]

I got lucky with 1 Epic. Not sure if I would have preferred two Rares instead. Thanks gogoo!

EDIT: I forgot I also got 1 FP. So, yes. I would have preferred 1 more Rare over 1 FP.
    Last edited by dayrep; 01-27-2019 at 03:38 AM.