Thread: Cripple ability

1. Default Cripple ability

How does cripple work?

I tried using it an I don't see any damage reduction, even if it's already -50%. Further, I tend to receive more damage than single token attacks. Am I using it incorrectly?

Blog Entries

The description for cripple is "reduce target attack".

In Castle Age. "attack" is very different from "damage". "Attack" is related to how much defense the player can beat. It doesn't affect the amount of damage the player can do in guild battles.

It's normal to take more damage using two-token attacks than using one-token attacks.
    Last edited by Falco; 07-25-2018 at 05:49 AM. Reason: typo
    Just another Castle Age player
    army code: D422AE

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    "Attack" is related to how much defense the player can beat.
    So you're saying it lowers the other player's defenses?

If that's the case, I do not see any difference between a single token attack and cripple, even at -50%. Or is there a chance factor at play here?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dayrep View Post
    So you're saying it lowers the other player's defenses?
    Example:

You're a rogue.
    Their mage can beat ally cleric.
    You cast Cripple on their mage.
    Their mage's attack gets lowered 50%.
    If their mage's attack was reasonably close to ally cleric's defense, their mage might no longer be able to beat that cleric.

The problem with messing around with attack and defense is that most of the time, you don't have enough information to tell for sure if it's working or not because you don't know everybody else's stats.

Let's say their mage has 10,000 attack.
    At 50% cripple, that mage still has 5,000 attack.
    If ally cleric has only 3000 defense, cripple would make no difference.
    Their mage will still win, with or without cripple.

However, if ally cleric has between 5001 defense and 9999 defense, then the cripple would make a difference. Their mage suddenly starts losing instead of winning.

Of course, the calculations are drastically simplified. Equipment, piercing and resistance, runes, luck, and a whole lot of other factors will modify that calculation.

The basic result is that, if you cripple someone, they might start losing a few battles that they would've won before they were crippled if their target has certain stats.
    Just another Castle Age player
    army code: D422AE

5. Default

Gotcha. So it's basically hit-or-miss. Doesn't seem to be a useful ability at all.

Thanks for explaining Falco.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dayrep View Post
    Gotcha. So it's basically hit-or-miss. Doesn't seem to be a useful ability at all.

Thanks for explaining Falco.
    That's debatable. Consider the following example:

Your 10v10 squad is up against a few lightweights and then one pretty high level cannon that most of your squad can't beat. You have an ally mage who builds up their Enrage on lesser targets to a level where THEY can at least Poly the big guy, but no one else can beat him.

Cripple will always work if the target is Poly'd. So, if your mage friend can Poly the big guy, you as a Rogue can cripple them. Cripple 1 knocks down 10% of Atk; Crip2, 15%; Crip3, 20%; and Crip4, 25%. I have Cripple 3 (Cripple 4 costs 20k GC and I can't justify that amount on anything right now). But if I get two hits with Crip3, I can lower his Atk 40%, which will also lower his eDef.

Lets say the big guy had 15k Atk and 5k Def. Normally his eDef is 15,500 (not including any bells and whistles like gems, etc.). However, if I hit him with two cripples, that would bring his eDef down to 11,300. The max Cripple is 50%, so if I hit him a third time his eDef would be reduced to 10,250. That's not an insignificant reduction.

Now the reality is you don't know a person's build, so you don't know if they are Atk-heavy or Def-heavy. A 50% cripple on a player who had reversed A/D as the example above (5k Atk, 15k Def) would only see their eDef decrease from 18,500 eDef to 16,750 eDef. But the point is that Cripple can turn the tide in any type of battle. Lets say this guy was in a 100v100 Sewer Gate and your guild needed to beat him in order to open up the Keep. Crippling could go a long way to help with that.

All of that said, obviously Cripple can be reversed with a single Cleanse. That's why it's worth increasing your Cripple up from the standard Crip1; it would take 10 tokens to get a player 50% crippled with Crip1, and only one token to reverse the effect. I'm usually happy with using 4 tokens to get to 40% cripple, and if I can I'll throw an additional poison on there to add another debuff since Cleanse only removes one debuff at a time. In fact I'd have a mage throw a confuse on him too to add another debuff to the equation. It might take a great deal of coordination to maximize your chance of getting such a big gun whittled down while crippled, but at least you have the chance.

EDIT: I think most Rogue abilities tend to be very situational, and Cripple is no exception. You can argue that it's not worth it unless you know you have an active mage with a good Enrage on board that can help with the Poly/Cripple combo. Intimidate, Poison, Smoke Bomb, and Assassinate are all very useful in specific situations, but depending on your build, your target's build, or the flavor of the battle they can be varying degrees of useful. Only Evade is really useful ALL the time.

Rogues aren't the sexiest class because they can't take out massive chunks of damage like a Warrior with Whirlwind, they can't save a guild with a last-second gate raise like a rock-solid Cleric can, and they can't offset the aforementioned cleric raise like a Mage can. However, guilds that don't have well-developed Rogue builds mixed in their numbers are really missing out on some critical situational strategies.
    Last edited by CastleAgeBrock; 07-26-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Boot Me Gently
    ! Chain Me Daily! Add Me Nicely! Follow CAGT on FB for tips and game updates. You can also follow the Twitter account @CastleAge_GT.

Badger is right.

what my badgery friend said

I use cripple in 10s all the time. lowers eDef, gets in the way of confuses being cleansed, reduces effectiveness of heals, reduces eAtt of opponents, just generally is a pita for opponents

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CastleAgeBrock View Post
    That's debatable...
    Thank you so much for elaborating.