Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monkeh's General studies

Blog Entries

Default Monkeh's General studies

Ok, so there have been questions raised about how to use certain generals, if they're worth buying or rolling chests for, what level or how many stars they need to be in order to be useful at all compared to another general, and in what situations & alliances they would be helpful.

In this thread, I hope to be able to work through some of the most curious situations, including:
    The Butcher
    The Hrothboert vampires & Vincent
    Ameron & Attilus
    (these are my primary concerns, but others may be added as we go along)

Since this is a Strategy & Help thread, please keep comments related to the topic.

This first post will be updated as necessary. (Even if i have to make a mod do it.)
    ~VoV~

Blog Entries

So in order to compare any General, we have to start with the baseline alliance, and make a determination of which of the 3 generals would be replaced.

Except for specific situations that will be mentioned as we go, we're mostly going to look at optimal damage to a single target, or maximum damage to multiple targets, via Whirlwind and Fireball.

One of the best ways to increase damage for any Class is to use a General or two that directly boosts your Damage Rune. These are Jera (Corruption Chest), Deimos (Bloodlust Chest), Gabrielle (past Arena prize), and Deianara (Festival Guild Battles prize). Maximum damage to a single target would involve using a combination of 3 of these, or one or two of these and a Class based general (or two) designed to enhance a given Class power.

Warriors have Meekah (Oracle General) to boost the Confidence ability, Grombeard (Nightfall Chest) to boost Leadership/Shout, as well as Ameron (Annihilation Chest) and Attilus (Oracle General) to increase Whirlwind side damage.

Rogues have Deshara to boost their passive ability for extra damage, Esmerelda (Wrath Chest) & Rafaria (Oracle General) to boost Wound/Lacerate, Dominus (Nightfall Chest) to boost Backstab/Ambush, along with Aethyx (Oracle general) and Jessika the Jester (Nightfall Chest) to enhance Poison.

Mages have Succubus (past Arena prize, currently available in Treasure Island event) to boost Fireball, as well as the trio of Zurran (Annihilator Chest), Muse (Oracle General), and Alexandria (Oracle General) to boost their passive splash damage ability.

Clerics have no abilities or Class-specific generals to boost their damage, so could use any combination of the Damage Rune gens to do so.
    Last edited by VersionsOfViolence; 04-03-2018 at 08:04 PM.
    ~VoV~

Blog Entries

Warrior General Alliances

Grombeard, like the Leadership & Shout abilities that he enhances, is a single use per Battle general. Unless you have to begin by playing defense, this should be your first hit of the battle. Trigger the ability & Grombeard boost to it by winning a single duel in the GB, then switch to damage oriented generals.

So with that said, Grombeard should likely be paired as Master with a Damage Rune gen, and a Piercing general, to give you the best chance of a sure win as well as best damage.

Meekah's boost to Confidence begins after the original ability's initial 5 steps, but since hot-swapping generals within an alliance can be time consuming, I recommend keeping Meekah as Second Link in an alliance with a Damage Rune gen as Master and Primary Link. If you only have one Damage Rune general, you can use a Piercing gen to give you better reach.

Ameron & Attilus both boost damage done the sides when using Whirlwind. These are situational, and while they may increase total damage done to all 3, they also decrease damage done to the primary target. If you have both, then you can certainly put them in an alliance together, but Ameron as Master with Meekah & a damage Rune gen is likely better. Deciding which should be primary and secondary should be determined by current general stats.
    Last edited by VersionsOfViolence; 04-03-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    ~VoV~

Blog Entries

Rogue General Alliances

Rogues already start out with a passive ability that gives +100 +20% Dmg Rune, capped at a total of +200 damage for a +500 Dmg rune. Even so, new abilities added for Rogues have turned them into more of a support class rather than true damage dealers. But we're talking about damage for now.

Deshara enhances the Rogue's passive damage bonus by +40 damage at level 4. Though she does scale with higher levels, there is no boost to damage rune included. That said, she is solid as the Secondary Link with Damage Rune gens as Master & Primary link, likely providing much more total damage ro the equation that a 3rd dmg gen, if you even have 3.

Aethyx & Jessika the Jester both increase Poison duration. Aethyx also increases the damage when that poisoned target is hit, while Jessika gives a chance to also poison the primary target's neighbors.

Dominus provides a boost to Backstab/Ambush, though that ability can only be used on a target with full health.

With proper Guild coordination, Rogues having a loadout that includes Poison & Backstab/Ambush and an alliance of Aethyx/Jessika/Dominus would be most beneficial. Otherwise Aethyx/Jessika/ and a dmg rune or pierce general works well too. Since Aethyx provides a larger poison duration, he needs to be the Master here, with Jessika as Primary Link.

If you don't have all 3 of these Rogue generals, can substitute a Damage General or two instead.

Esmerelda & Rafaria boost the ability Wound/Lacerate. Upon victory, decreases the max health of an unwounded target by X + (X/10)% Dmg rune. Since this ability doesn't stack, there's no need to use it more than once per target, unless it gets cleansed away by a cleric during the battle. If you have both, then an Esmerelda/Rafaria/DmgRune gen would work best. Or can also be combined with Dominus to get the passive Ambush/Backstab, on an untouched target. If you only have one of the Esmerelda/Rafaria duo, then a Dmg Rune/Dmg Rune/Wound alliance would be best. (Or Dmg Rune/Wound/Pierce alliance, if need be).
    Last edited by VersionsOfViolence; 04-03-2018 at 08:54 PM.
    ~VoV~

Blog Entries

Mage General Alliances

Mages can actually be useful for more than just PolyFuze. With the Enrage ability, they're able to boost their attack stats, giving them added reach. Or, they can keep a gate from resurrecting in the last minutes of battle with their passive splash damage.

Zurran, Muse, & Alexandria
    Up to a +500 Damage Rune, Splash damage can be boosted with Damage Rune generals as well as these dedicated Splash Damage generals. Over +500, the only way to increase Splash damage is by levelling & promoting this trio of Splashers, and having them all in an alliance.

Succubus
    To counter Mass Heals from Clerics, Mages also have the option of using the 2 token Fireball attack. This hits up to 5 people total, with the target you hit receiving the most damage. An alliance with Damage Rune gens as Master and Primary Link and Succubus as Secondary Link gives optimal damage.

Cleric General Alliances

Unfortunately, Clerics do not have any dedicated Generals or Abilities to enhance their damage. The Damage Rune generals work well though. And having an active Warrior as a neighbor, for their Leadership ability works nicely too, though this works for all Classes.
    Last edited by VersionsOfViolence; 04-04-2018 at 12:26 AM.
    ~VoV~

Blog Entries

This space for rent.
    ~VoV~

Blog Entries

The Butcher

Special Ability:
    +X% Dmg for every 25% Health lost

So how does that help? Well, it's quite situational. Obviously, The Butcher is useless if your health is over 3/4 its max, and most potent when you're under 3/4 max hp. He's also useless once you're stunned, meaning under 200 hp in 100v and 100v, and at 0 hp in normal GBs.

So when does The Butcher actually become worth swapping out for as your health starts dropping? Well, that really depends on your normal GB Offensive alliance, their levels/promotions, and your Damage Rune.

Each of the Damage Rune generals provide a direct amount of damage boost along with a % boost of the damage rune itself. So the better your Damage Rune generals are, the harder they become to replace for more damage. Also, the higher your damage rune, the more of a boost the second Damage Rune gen can provide.

The Damage Rune is used to factor Leadership and Confidence, as well as your damage for the duel.

My Jera/Deimos/Meekah alliance currently gives +57 Damage, +27.75% Damage Rune bonus, +140 Max Confidence Damage. With a level 163 Damage Rune, for +648 damage, this gives me a bonus of an additional +180 damage from my rune.

Dropping Deimos from the alliance, Jera's ability is +41 Damage, +20% Damage Rune bonus. For a loss of -16 Damage, -7.75% Damage Rune, taking my damage rune bonus from +180 down to +130.

So let's crunch the numbers to see just how much damage The Butcher (or any other general) would have to bring to the party, to justify replacing Deimos as my Primary Link to Jera.

Leadership III: +20 + 20% of Damage Rune for self. (No need to worry about allies for this)
    Activated using Grombeard's current +6%, I get a total of +196 damage from Leadership with each hit using Jera/Deimos/Meekah.

Confidence adds +10 Damage, and +5% Damage Rune for each stack. Meekah adds extra stacks from the initial 5 the ability itself provides. This is the biggest part of a Warrior's total damage per hit, especially in longer battles. With Jera/Deimos/Meekah, I currently get a boost of +51 damage per win with Confidence stack. My Meekah's additional 14 stacks, plus the initial 5, would provide up to +969 total damage, given I can win 20 duels in a GB format to max it out.

Switching Deimos out of the alliance, I automatically lose 66 damage from the hit, another 12 damage from Leadership, and another 2.5 damage per Confidence stack (as much as 47.5 Confidence damage later in the battle). So The Butcher's ability would need to give me more than 81 to 125 damage in order to be useful.

As a Warrior in the Keep, my health won't drop unless I actively want it to, by Sentinelling likely targets active in another gate, and selecting opponents to attack that have Daphne or Tora equipped. Of course, I also have to hope that Clerics are playing defense, and not splash healing my gate. And I have to tell them to not heal me until my Resurrect has popped. It can be tricky.

Final thoughts/ tl;dr
    If I can keep my hp at about 20% to 48% during the second hour of a battle, then The Butcher can earn his spot on my team. Otherwise, Deimos stays in.

Still gonna work on The Butcher though, for such times that he is useful.
    Last edited by VersionsOfViolence; 04-07-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    ~VoV~

you should have something for evade alliance or evade/deflect alliance
    also one for warrior guard alliance: Tyrant/Joan
    alliance for all classes: Tora/Daphne/Krystalia (or dmg general)

i think those alliance are important as well.

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem.

Blog Entries

Not really the point of what I'm trying to do at the moment. So far, I've just given basic info for Warriors & Rogues. Mages and Clerics will be posted shortly, and then I can take on the mission as stated in the OP.
    ~VoV~

Blog Entries

Ok. Thoughts on The Butcher are posted.
    ~VoV~