Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: The most ridiculous things

Welcome to the new department of political payback.

reuters.com/article/us-autos-emissions/u-s-launches-antitrust-probe-into-california-automaker-agreement

What is next? If four of the grocery store chains decide to replace plastic bags with paper bags, do we sue them also? This is not the definition of anti trust that I was taught and have always believed in.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...mw/2231506001/

CARB was actually created by federal legislation. It is not some rouge organization and treating it as such is quite the political reach for power that does not exist.
    Last edited by Rev Sim; 09-07-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    ...Dwarven Miner - I found a free chest roll for ye, but I was ambushed by a Dev in the mine.
    Lil rascal made away with it...

Blog Entries

Sharpiegate

~VoV~

Q: What happens when billionaires allegedly kill a few hundred thousand people for profit?
    A: NOTHING!

Those lawsuits are likely to continue but face a significant hurdle because it's believed the family – major donors to museums and other cultural institutions around the world – has transferred most of its multibillion-dollar fortune overseas.

Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro, who was one of the four state attorneys general negotiating with Purdue and the Sacklers, said Saturday he intends to sue the Sackler family, as other states have.

I think they are a group of sanctimonious billionaires who lied and cheated so they could make a handsome profit,” he said. “I truly believe that they have blood on their hands.
    journalgazette.net/business/20190908/oxycontin-maker-to-file-for-bankruptcy-as-talks-stall

Last edited by Rev Sim; 09-08-2019 at 12:30 PM.
    ...Dwarven Miner - I found a free chest roll for ye, but I was ambushed by a Dev in the mine.

How the modern Healthcare at UVA is ruining people's lives (Washington Post)

Some points to make.

1. USA has the most expensive healthcare on the Planet Earth. Nobody pays more per person.

2. USA overall health sucks. We don't have the best on Earth, we actually rank lower then most. Want some proof? Click on the quote below. And that #11 place is the best I could find. Others claim that the USA is #24. Still, I will give the optimistic study the link.
    3. The ultra rich are already covered whatever may come.

4. We have killed off the working people with the new system. Proverty level is now covered, which was needed, BUT people who make $15,000 and up will be charged more than is reasonable. A common bottom plan is $1,400 per month. That is $16,800 per year for minimum coverage. What do you get for that. A plan that has at least a $6,000 deductible before it kicks in. So,do some math.

You make $15,000 per year, above the poverty level. So, screw you. You don't get any help. You get sick and have a modest $30,000 hospital stay. You actually paid $16,800 for your insurance. (How can you pay that??? I don't know). You also paid the $6,000 deductible. The remaining hospital bill is now only $24,000. Since you are now out of your yearly insurance deductible, your insurance company will at least pay part of this $24,000.

Do the same thing but assume you have a spouse and a kid making $40,000 household. Keep the numbers the same but add that your spouse has to pay for their ACA policy (with a separate $6,000 duductable) and pay for your kid to have a $700 per month ACA policy with yet a third separate $6000 deductible.

How the frack does our $40,000 family who has to buy insurance on the open exchange supposed to buy food, rent, clothes, plus insurance?

5. The healthcare really reams it to those without insurance. This is basically due to insurance saying they will pay a maximum of XX percent of your cash price. Well, you don't want to lose that money so you make the cash price insanely high.

From the article above.
    The $164,000 billed to Waldron for intestinal surgery was more than twice what a commercial insurer would have paid for her care, according to benefits firm WellRithms, which analyzed bills for Kaiser Health News using cost reports UVA files with the government. Charges on her bill included $2,000 for a $20 feeding tube.
    Now, before you just accept that, let us figure out something to compare that to. How about you and your diabetic friend are in a restaurant. Your friend says they feel like their blood sugar is dropping and they need something quick or they will pass out. You get breakfast there and know that the orange juice is $2. You tell the waiter that it is an emergency, please get you one OJ quick. The waiter comes out holding it, but tells your friend to fork over $200 for it. Are you outraged?

So, what is different from an $2 OJ going for $200 verses a $20 feeding tube going for $2,000?

We accept this crap as normal and don't even get annoyed by it anymore.

Did you even notice that after UVA charged $2,000 for that feeding tube, they offered to settle the bill for 80%. That means that without insurance, that UVA was offering to let that person pay only $1,600 for that $20 feeding tube. Well, what a wonderful generous gesture. But, that was only if they paid up immediately. Otherwise, the full $2,000 went to court, against the lien, and attorney fees were added on top of that.

Re-read that Washington post article. This is a good time to get annoyed and tell everyone that this crap has got to be changed / fixed.

Last. If the USA is #1, why are Americans dying from the lack of insulin?
    Last edited by Rev Sim; 09-11-2019 at 08:39 PM.

only in murica.
    maybe greenland/denmark needs to make the trump an offer to buy U.S.A LOL
    so you can get free health care ;-)

What the world needs is a balance. We need an economy that serves society, not a sociopath need to maximize any and all profits at any societal cost. We also need citizens who can learn, grow, and achieve. Historically that balance is hard to get right, but we need to try. Currently, we are not trying.

Neo-xxx such as Neo Conservative or Neo Liberal. The second label does not matter. What we need is to correctly define the first part.

Neo as in Neo-xxx is a belief in the infallibility of the gilded age. In this belief, power, money, and influence makes right. Large corporations are the ultimate expression of power, money, and influence. In this model, corporations eventually become the functional government. The first step is to privatize all government functions from public entities to private corporations. In the ultimate end of this system, rights of the individual are transferred to the rights of the corporations. We end up with a elite society of Corporations ruling at the highest level. We have a middle class that is composed of the people who work for the corporations and those who work for a shell government who rubber stamps the will of the Corporations. The lowest and largest class are the common citizens who are the mass market prey for the corporations.

(Corporations / business / money > Cogs of the Machine > Citizens / People)

The Insidious Ideology Corrupting the World An opinion piece in the Guardian

Last edited by Rev Sim; 09-12-2019 at 02:34 PM.

That is a Billion with a B!

theguardian.com/us-news/2019/sep/13/sackler-family-purdue-pharma-oxycontin-opioids-court-filings

The family that owns OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma used Swiss bank accounts to conceal the transfer of millions of dollars from the company to themselves, New York state’s attorney general contends in court papers filed Friday.

New York – asking a judge to enforce subpoenas of companies, banks and advisers to Purdue and its owners, the Sackler family – said it has already documented $1bn in transfers between those parties.

This is a link to the best single background of what happened with Oxycontin.

A judge ruled that Purdue could not shift the venue for the trial, and so Richard Sackler flew to Louisville. He gave a deposition at a law firm. Four lawyers questioned him about his role in the development and the marketing of OxyContin. Tyler Thompson, the lead attorney, told me that Sackler’s demeanor during the session reminded him of Jeremy Irons’s portrayal of Claus von Bülow, the aristocrat accused of murdering his wife, in the 1990 bio-pic “Reversal of Fortune.” “A smirk and a so-what attitude—an absolute lack of remorse,” Thompson said.

9. Default

Sorry... but my quota of ridiculous things was met around 2 am PDT when I read an article about how POTUS insists that he isn't really orange but that it's energy efficient light bulbs that make him look orange.
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!" - Rev Sim

"Gratuitous acts of senseless violence are -my- forte!" - Max

^^^Lolz. Let the conspiracy theories against the non-traditional light bulbs be reborn!
    I think the source of those sonic attacks on the Cuban Diplomats are related to LED Bulbs! Those things are the work of Satan!
    Last edited by Rev Sim; 09-15-2019 at 07:22 PM.