Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Net Neutrality

Quote Originally Posted by ma la king ti ti View Post
    Pai argues that it shouldn't be viewed as a public utility. I would argue further that ISPs shouldn't be regulated at all, just because 'ISPs provide us with access to the network and that is it'. What is the use of creating any litigation at all?
    Good if we do one thing. End the community monopolies.

Open the ability to be an ISP to anyone and everywhere. This means that if I want to walk into the middle of a comcast area to open an ISP, I can. That means that I get to run wires to each house. It does not matter who owns the poles, I get to use them. Why? because who wants 10 poles in front of their house. The existing power, phone, and cable already share poles. A new ISP should be able to share them also.

Also, if your town wants to open the "Your Town ISP", then your local government can do it. We hear that the gov't can never compete with private business. That the gov't is too incompetent to compete. That any gov't business will cost more and offer less the private business.

Then why the heck are the existing cable companies buying lobbyists to get laws passed to prevent local gov't ISPs.

Why are they afraid of, what they self admit, would be over priced and badly ran competition?

If the cable companies get to be a monopoly, then they should live by Title II rules.
    ...Dwarven Miner - I found a free chest roll for ye, but I was ambushed by a Dev in the mine.
    Lil rascal made away with it...

2. Default

it is in fact quite pertinent. net neutrality means nothing in China, unless we insist that our law should be theirs, and china is a prime example of what government regulation really is. the argument that we should free lgbtq from oppression simply does not apply, unless we're china.
    1. This isn't about the LGBTQ community.
    2. The USA -still- is -not- China.

What China does literally is irrelevant.

Should China have strong net neutrality? Absolutely.
    But it's -not- relevant to whether the USA should have it.

"Still, various preferential treatments of Internet usage already exist today. When AT&T customers access the company’s DirecTV Now video streaming service, that usage isn’t included in calculations for data limits. The same goes for Verizon and its Go90 and FiOS TV services as well as T-Mobile and services such as those from HBO, Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube. The practice, known as “zero rating,” was scrutinized by Wheeler’s FCC. Under Pai, it’s freely practiced." - http://fortune.com/2017/11/23/net-ne...hy-it-matters/
    Zero rating is not throttling.

With throttling your carrier or ISP slows down the data speeds either for certain content or for all data.

Carriers -can- throttle -all- data for customers after their data caps have been reached for the month.
    However, it is against the law to throttle data for competing services thanks to net neutrality laws currently in place.

While zero rating is technically not against the law it is absolutely against the spirit of net neutrality.
    Zero rating serves as a taste of what is to come if ISP's were given free reign.

Pai argues that it shouldn't be viewed as a public utility. I would argue further that ISPs shouldn't be regulated at all, just because 'ISPs provide us with access to the network and that is it'. What is the use of creating any litigation at all?
    The point of creating litigation is that without it ISP's would quite simply destroy what the internet is all to make an extra buck.

You want to use Facebook? Sure... for $5 a month you get access. You post a lot of cat pictures? For another $5 you can upload quicker to Facebook.
    Netflix? Are you a light, medium, or heavy user? Packages start at $10.
    Games? Sure... $7.50

All on top of your current monthly fee.
    Oh and of course that applies to both your home internet and mobile internet.

-That- is what net neutrality laws prevent.
    It makes it so that all data communications are equal and none of it can get preferential treatment over others.

and information should't be viewed as a public resource. you already can't view kiddy ****, it's illegal. you already can't view al-qaeda, it's treason. ISPs without regulation would be free to self regulate and market forces would enable the same net neutrality without the overhead of govt regulation.
    A few things are getting mixed up here.

First off all, There is absolutely certain -content- that is illegal.
    However, that is not what net neutrality is about.
    It's about treating all -data communications- as equal.

Essentially it's the difference between -what- you see online and -being able- to see that thing online.

(yes, I realize that the difference between content and data communications may be difficult to understand.)

and Pai is just a partisan dumb****? He's doing it to reverse obama policy, yes, but more to let the principle of less government operate.
    Sigh.

Why does everything have to be about partisanship?

Pai is nothing but a corporate shill.
    His previous employer was Verizon for crying out loud.
    If you honestly believe that he has -your- best interest in mind then you are sadly mistaken.

As much as I can agree that less government can be a good thing, there are places where it's very much desired to them present.
    This is one of those things because, well... corporations can't be trusted to do the right thing on their own.

ISP's have all stated that they uphold the idea of net neutrality. There is no need for government to step in and decide how to interfere with efficient access to the internet.
    Of course they say that, -now-.

Right now they are trying to get these "pesky" net neutrality laws taken off the books.
    Of course they are going to play nice and say that they won't do any bad stuff.
    After all, you catch more flies with honey.

Once net neutrality is gone, and they won the battle, well... maybe they'll just say that they had their fingers crossed when they made that promise.
    Last edited by Shadow Reaper; 11-25-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!" - Rev Sim

"Gratuitous acts of senseless violence are -my- forte!" - Max

Net neutrality is bad....in everyway....there is zero advantages of it....

This is a repeat of medical care in the US...

4. Default

I'm personally still waiting for the water companies to no longer be classified as a utility.

It's going to be so awesome having someone else tell me when I can go poop and then charge me extra for when I finally can!
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!" - Rev Sim

Oh there heading to oil next....good luck getting support for other cars....

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritsurge View Post
    Oh there heading to oil next....good luck getting support for other cars....
    Oil is not a utility.

Gas on the other hand...

We should also get rid of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, the lemon law, the ability to sue any business, all of the amendments, the Miranda act, and get rid of each and every pesky banking regulation.
    ...Dwarven Miner - I found a free chest roll for ye, but I was ambushed by a Dev in the mine.
    Lil rascal made away with it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritsurge View Post
    and what happens when netflix stream something controversial?? yup it will be unaccessible
    It's not so much about Netflix, because they'll be able to pay a fee, or more likely merge or get bought by one of the major telcoms.

And yes, LR, it damn well is about the LGBTQ+ community, as well as every minority community that is already woefully underserved in regards to entertainment and journalism fit for them. It's also going to impact every start-up, so that the next MySpace, Facebook, Netflix, Amazon, or whatever doesn't catch on as quickly, because their site isn't as fast.

And it'll probably make this game we play even crappier.

This is no less than digital gerrymandering.
    Last edited by VersionsOfViolence; 11-25-2017 at 11:51 PM.
    ~VoV~

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Reaper View Post
    Once net neutrality is gone, and they won the battle, well... maybe they'll just say that they had their fingers crossed when they made that promise.
    The FCC is going to repeal the Obama law. How much you wanna bet that nothing bad happens afterwards?

I can't watch boxing on the internet, because that content is throttled by the powers that be. I could pay 50 bucks to watch Mayweather online, yes, but that's capitalism.

10. Default

The FCC is going to repeal the Obama law. How much you wanna bet that nothing bad happens afterwards?

I can't watch boxing on the internet, because that content is throttled by the powers that be. I could pay 50 bucks to watch Mayweather online, yes, but that's capitalism.
    See what you did there?

The "Obama law".
    We could tell you that frogs will start raining from the skies, that god himself would rain thunder and brimstone.
    You -still- would support the repeal.
    Why? Because... "Obama law".

You represent everything that is wrong with the country quite literally.
    So hell bent on being partisan, so set on "my way or the highway", so blind to the fact that we -have- to work together.
    I'm still trying to decide whether you are acting that way on purpose or whether you are truly that ignorant.

Either way... I don't care. I'm done.
    You clearly lack any understanding of what you are talking about and you obviously couldn't care less.
    Last edited by Shadow Reaper; 11-26-2017 at 04:26 AM.