Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iOS 100v100 UI info

Default ios player response to 100v play

one of my players responses to Padaxan's post.
    "The current function lets you sort via a list but when you press the target selected it initiates a scroll to the player. Pointless IMO. Too many button presses ect. Absolute junk. I'll have to play on web3 from now on. Or a mix of both."
    Last edited by Twyla Martins; 02-07-2015 at 11:23 PM. Reason: misspelling

ios player here, not a fan of new format
    Sorry, you're not allowed to see inside the book. It's against the rules.

Thank you Padaxan for drawing us a map to all the various aspects of the new UI.
    Yes, we see it is pretty; however it is too cluttered and annoying. We like simple and clean.

Few complained in 10v10, simply because it was 1 tower and 10 players. I avoided using my iOS for 10v10 (except the odd day I remembered to spin). Now, I see no reason to bother with using my iOS app. Please remember that the CA iOS app is/was successful because it had a clean, simple UI. It boggles me why so much effort is being put to making everything pretty now.

P.S. I really like the new style of 100v100 battles, except for this new iOS UI. Please revert to the simple, clean list.
    Last edited by Brog; 02-08-2015 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post

Seeing the screens laid out like this made me realize how insanely difficult it must be to try to fit all the data available in the web3 format onto such a small screen in such a way that fat fumbling fingers can still accurately click the necessary buttons without accidentally hitting the wrong thing on the screen. (I haven't been in any iOS Festival battles, so I don't know what the old interface looked like.) So anyway, I'm giving the iOS app another chance right now, with the fat fumbling fingers problem in mind.

Great post Falco and Kabam should definitely read it and take it to heart, but I wanted to address the above paragraph.

I started on iOS and didn't discover web3 for at least a year, so my time is about evenly split and I can say the iOS app about 2 years ago was easily far superior to the crap Kabam has been releasing in the past few months. They have consistently removed useful functionality, added layers and taps that over complicate once simply steps and now they're obsessed with animations and pretty graphics that serve no functional purpose.

I imagine they think they need to be prettier to attract new players, but their game is so complex, very few new players will stay with it more than a month or two before giving up in boredom or frustration. Animations and pretty graphics won't fix that problem. The changes made in the past few months, especially the recent 100v100 changes, are alienating many older established players. I know I'm playing less and I haven't spent anything in awhile. I won't be surprised if more people find other more interesting games created by companies that actually listen and respond to players.
    Last edited by AnotherVictim; 02-08-2015 at 03:14 AM.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherVictim View Post
    Great post Falco and Kabam should definitely read it and take it to heart, but I wanted to address the above paragraph.

I started on iOS and didn't discover web3 for at least a year, so my time is about evenly split and I can say the iOS app about 2 years ago was easily far superior to the crap Kabam has been releasing in the past few months. They have consistently removed useful functionality, added layers and taps that over complicate once simply steps and now they're obsessed with animations and pretty graphics that serve no functional purpose.

I imagine they think they need to be prettier to attract new players, but their game is so complex, very few new players will stay with it more than a month or two before giving up in boredom or frustration. Animations and pretty graphics won't fix that problem. The changes made in the past few months, especially the recent 100v100 changes, are alienating many older established players. I know I'm playing less and I haven't spent anything in awhile. I won't be surprised if more people find other more interesting games created by companies that actually listen and respond to players.
    I think that the devs suffer from two problems. The first is a somewhat obsessive need to have these fancy new animations and graphics. This game started out as a mostly text based clicky game. It's not a game such as World of Warcraft. Yet they keep insisting on making CA into something that it's not supposed to be.

The second problem is the amount of data that the devs want to show. A lot of the features have a lot of information to show. On iOS there is quite a bit even that web3 doesn't show. Mostly minor things (and no I'm not complaining about these differences) but it all adds to the amount of data that needs to fit on the screen.

These two alone pose a challenge but put them together and you get... well... the 100v100 battle interface. I agree with Falco that it's very difficult to create good interfaces. It requires a good amount of logical thinking but also a certain eye for how things may be perceived. With that in mind, I personally would have stayed closer to the way web3 displays data. It's easy on the eyes and does what it's supposed to do without being too confusing. The only real issue it has is the fat finger issue that Falco brought up. That however can be worked around.

I guess I'll never understand these kind of design choices. I do know this. I shudder to think what I'll find once the Android app is released. I will likely never really use it if iOS is to be any indication. I can only hope that they'll never ever close web3.
    Last edited by Shadow Reaper; 02-08-2015 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Reaper View Post
    I think that the devs suffer from two problems. The first is a somewhat obsessive need to have these fancy new animations and graphics. This game started out as a mostly text based clicky game. It's not a game such as World of Warcraft. Yet they keep insisting on making CA into something that it's not supposed to be.

The second problem is the amount of data that the devs want to show. A lot of the features have a lot of information to show. On iOS there is quite a bit even that web3 doesn't show. Mostly minor things (and no I'm not complaining about these differences) but it all adds to the amount of data that needs to fit on the screen.

These two alone pose a challenge but put them together and you get... well... the 100v100 battle interface. I agree with Falco that it's very difficult to create good interfaces. It requires a good amount of logical thinking but also a certain eye for how things may be perceived. With that in mind, I personally would have stayed closer to the way web3 displays data. It's easy on the eyes and does what it's supposed to do without being too confusing. The only real issue it has is the fat finger issue that Falco brought up. That however can be worked around.

I guess I'll never understand these kind of design choices. I do know this. I shudder to think what I'll find once the Android app is released. I will likely never really use it if iOS is to be any indication. I can only hope that they'll never ever close web3.
    Good points Lord Reaper. I'm not a designer either, but I've worked with some of the best in the world in my career and one truism has existed for a long time: less is more. Another is familiarity creates comfort and usability. Yet another is that simple functionality is beautiful.

The 10v10 horizontal interface was barely functional for squads of up to 10. Most active battlers I knew used web3 even if they were originally iOS characters simply because the UI was far more functional and useful.

The choice to take the 10v10 UI and force it onto 100v100 when it is demonstrably inferior in multiple requirements for an active guild battle demonstrates a serious lack of understanding or perhaps even disregard for what players actually want during a guild battle.

What's further worrying is how many basic features have been removed from the iOS Festival Battle UI over time. Remember when it was possible to tap a player and see their card? With such useful info as Wins/Losses? Or when you could see another Guild's Battle Activity so as to prioritize likely actives for faster destruction? All of those features and many more were wonderfully useful for active guild battlers. And all of them have been stripped away even before the horrific 100v100 UI was launched.
    Last edited by AnotherVictim; 02-08-2015 at 11:15 PM.

Padaxan Guest

Planned list view en route, as a toggle option.

Blog Entries

Awesome! That looks great! (...although it looks like the gate bar still scrolls. Ah well.)

I notice the mock-up doesn't have a sort menu. I guess web3 doesn't have a sort either, but I liked the sort because the small screen displays fewer people than web3 does, so the sort was somewhat making up for the bigger view.

Something web3 has that the mock-up doesn't are the tags. We use the targetting_avoid tag to indicate when farming mages should high-level inactives for farming mages, and people on the iOS app are the least likely to check the Facebook instructions, so in theory, having tags show up in iOS would remove the "but I didn't have time to check chat" excuse for killing the farming target. Tags aren't necessary at all, and we use tags very rarely, but I figured it was something to note.

Also, web3 gets number of defenders in the gate where we get a percentage bar instead. Wait. The VS shield in the mock-up is a bit confusing. The current interface has the battle timer rather than squad counts. I think having a timer somewhere on the page is useful.

Other than that, it looks like the mock-up has everything web3 has, and it managed to fit everything I can think of: position, name, health, activity, general, buffs, action button...

In my opinion, it's looking great!
    Last edited by Falco; 02-11-2015 at 02:00 AM.
    Just another Castle Age player
    army code: D422AE

Padaxan,

I like that change. Looks good in the ss and addresses what most iOS users #1 complaint was about the changes (followed closely by the reduction in battles, which I'm still not thrilled about, but if 3 battles are really going to be allowed instead of 2 then I think most people can live with that w/o much heartburn.)
    Add Me codes: 798DF6

Alcoholic Derb

10. Default

I obviously can't compare to older iOS battle interfaces but comparing to web3 I can say that this layout looks pretty sweet. The iOS crowd will surely be happy with this one.