PDA

View Full Version : land buying excel sheet

tribal
10-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi,

I made an excelpage where u can calculate wich land u need to buy to be the most profitable.

U can only enter the blue fields.
If you cannot build all buildings yet just look in column D and buy the building with the highest percentage.
When two building have the same percentage i take the cheapest first.

enjoy and let me know what you guys think of it.

HouseNdaHouse
10-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi,

I made an excelpage where u can calculate wich land u need to buy to be the most profitable.

U can only enter the blue fields.
If you cannot build all buildings yet just look in column D and buy the building with the highest percentage.
When two building have the same percentage i take the cheapest first.

enjoy and let me know what you guys think of it.

I think the mods need to check your link first to be sure of no bugs or issues... then we'd be happy to use/forward it on.

FaceBook Fantasy Author
10-22-2009, 12:42 AM
A quick way to decide if the ROI (return on investment) is worth the money, simply divide the hourly income a property generates into the current purchase price to see how many hours it will take for you to break even. After that it's all gravy. That should tell you at a glance which are the best "buys" on your current land listing. For example, if one item takes 72 hours to reach break-even and another takes a 100, you should probably buy the fastest ROI that you can afford. Keep in mind, those prices go UP the more you buy of something, so the ROI is constantly changing.

Volkaxx
10-22-2009, 01:09 AM
I will be happy to look at it as well, but I want some confiramtion from the mods that it is safe. No offense man, but it is better to be cautious than sorry.

Sans
10-22-2009, 06:07 AM
Just want to thank tribal for the excellent spreadsheet with the formulae all sorted out. You have worked everything out, haven't you? That's a lot of effort. I really appreciate how I can find out now. just by keying in the blue column, what should be my next purchase, how much I will need and how long it will take me (if I just sit and wait for the income to generate).

Rutherford
10-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Does not take into account reinvestment.

Volkaxx
10-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Just want to thank tribal for the excellent spreadsheet with the formulae all sorted out. You have worked everything out, haven't you? That's a lot of effort. I really appreciate how I can find out now. just by keying in the blue column, what should be my next purchase, how much I will need and how long it will take me (if I just sit and wait for the income to generate).

Okay cool, someone tested it out so it is safe. I will load it up and take a look at it as well. Thanks Sans for the input.

Justintime
10-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Excellent !!!!

R Damian
10-23-2009, 07:47 AM
is there an alternative way to view this info?

tribal
10-23-2009, 02:45 PM
how do u mean?

Dragon451
10-23-2009, 08:25 PM
when I unzip this file i get a file called "castle age calc" with no extension, what type of file extension is it supposed to have?

tribal
10-24-2009, 07:30 AM
thats strange, must be a setting in your pc.

Just open the file with excel

Mursilis
10-24-2009, 11:47 AM
when I unzip this file i get a file called "castle age calc" with no extension, what type of file extension is it supposed to have?

You probably have your computer set to hide know extension types. The icon however should still be an Excel one for the file itself.

liebneraj
10-24-2009, 05:03 PM
when i buy land, i look at the top 3: Sky Sanctuaries, Lake Fortress, and Castle.

IF the COST of:

10 Lake_Fortress + 10 Castle > 10 Sky Sanctuaries,

THEN i buy the lake fortresses and castles, since their combined income is LARGER than at of sky sanctuaries.

if their combined cost os MORE than that os sky sanctuaries, then i buy sky sanctuaries.

this is the only combination that works like this as far as i have computed.

if i have anything leftover, then i buy whatever i can (in groups of 10 only!).

cybermesh0
10-24-2009, 05:17 PM

OpenOffice :)

Punkle
10-24-2009, 05:40 PM

http://174.37.115.166/cforum/showthread.php?t=320

BillOsler
10-24-2009, 09:53 PM
You are correct, the spreadsheet is not comprehensive. A simple way to make a quick estimate regarding whether to buy 1 or 5 or 10 is this:
If you have to wait more than 12 hours to accumulate the cash to buy 1 of the property, buy it 1 at a time. If you have to wait less than 12 hours to save enough for 1, buy it 10 at a time. You may have to wait a while (maybe even a few days) but it is better to wait.
That's an oversimplification specifically applicable to Sky Sanctuaries. For the inexpensive property (towers, marketplaces, mountain keeps, lake fortresses) the cutoff value is more like 5 hours: Ie, if you are buying towers or marketplaces and you have to wait more than 5 hours to buy 1 tower, get 1 at a time. If you have to wait less than 5 hours to get a single tower, then buy 10 at a time even though the waiting may be many hours.
For Castles the cutoff time is about 8 hours. If you have to wait more than 8 hours to buy one, then buy one at a time.
I have not done enough modeling to be sure but I have not found a situation in which buying 5 at a time is optimum.

tribal
10-25-2009, 08:26 AM
please edit the excel file so it is complete then and repost it.

password is azerty

BillOsler
10-25-2009, 12:05 PM
I wish I knew how to make a more complete version. You created a wonderful spreadsheet and I know it took a lot of work to design. It correctly determines which property you should purchase next based on Return on Investment. The two things that it does not address are complex enough that I don't know how to model them:
(1) When should I buy 1 property vs 5 or 10 at a time? This is a simple calculation to describe but a bit harder to put into the spreadsheet.
(2) If a high priced property has a slightly better ROI than a low priced property, when does it make sense to buy a cheaper property with lower ROI because it is possible to reinvest the income while waiting to accumulate gold for the larger purchase? This is a harder question and I don't know how to answer it, much less put it into a spreadsheet.
From a practical perspective these are questions that are important primarily to low income players.

The only time it makes sense to buy properties 1 at a time is when your income is low compared to the property's purchase price. That can happen even with moderate income levels since the property prices become so inflated. If your hourly income is low enough that you have to wait a long time to afford 1 of a property then the income gains from buying one at a time outweigh the cost penalty. If you ignore the 'cash on hand' value, there are only 4 variables: Current Purchase Price, Price Increment for each property owned (which is apparently 10% of the base price according to your spreadsheet), net Current Income from all properties and New Properterty Income from the property you are about to purchase. (Current Purchase Price) / (Current Income) gives you the Number of Hours to Wait to purchase ONE property. If (Number of Hours to Wait to purchase ONE) * (New Property's Income) is greater than the Price Increment then it makes sense to buy just one property. For Small Towers up to Castles that cutoff is about 5 hours. For Lake Fortresses it is more like 8 hours. For Sky Sanctuaries it is about 12 hours.

The bad news is that I don't know how to put that information into a simple display.
Also, there are some complications, which is one of the reasons I'm not quite sure how to implement it. The decision making does depend on how much gold you have on hand. If you have enough on hand to buy in multiples of 10 then you should always buy in multiples of 10 reagardless of your income. If you have enough gold on hand to buy 5 but your income level is 'low' enough that the strategy suggests buying one at a time then you should usually buy 5 immediately. The most complex question is if you have almost enough on hand to buy 5 (or 10) but your income suggests buying 1 at a time. I'm not sure how to model that. If you are 'close' to being able to buy 5 (or 10) you should wait and do so, if you are not 'close' you should buy one at a time. Unfortunately I have not found a way to determine what is 'close'.

I hope that makes sense. It is not a huge problem with the spreadsheet, but the question about buy 1 and reinvesting the income vs waiting to buy 5 or 10 is going to keep coming up which is why it would be nice to be able to answer it in the spreadsheet.

That last complication won't affect people who play regularly.

liebneraj
10-25-2009, 03:16 PM
post the document on google docs.

tribal
10-26-2009, 02:06 PM
so is some1 skilled enough in excel to adjust the spreadsheet so its totally correct? It would be nice to have a fully working file then

Dragon451
10-26-2009, 06:34 PM
You probably have your computer set to hide know extension types. The icon however should still be an Excel one for the file itself.

I wish it was this simple, but i have the setting set to show all extensions, and the unzipped file doesn't have one, just trying to open it in excel gives me a workbook with a bunch of junk text. Like when trying to open a binary file in Notepad. I've even tried renaming it to have several excel extensions. still doesn't work. Ah well. Cash isn't to important to me right now anyway, i have a $36,578,470/h income