PDA

View Full Version : hey admin.....what about laying siege??????

The Knights who say Nee
10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
The problem of finding peeps to fight, and also the problem of chain attacking could be partly resolved..... I posted this on a chain attacking thread

with my above post in mind and reading the thread title "Suggestions" what about this.....

the guy chain attacking me is using all of his stamina to gain bp's, I fully understand this and his tactics because the attacks are like clockwork (every 5 minutes) now I've hidden he's going to get borred and start looking around for someone else, he will check every now and then to see if I'm back, then it will start again, I can take the attacks all day long, its only when he logs in on full stamina he kills me (3 times now).

how about giving the chain attacker the option of laying siege at my keep with some of his forces!!!!!

he has 182 valour knights and 319 phynioxs, he could be given the option of leaving part of his force outside, say half for arguements sake! he could then go on his way with less forces taking smaller pray, when I come out he get a notification, and I get the chance of a small scurmish against lesser forces, he could then return with all his army.......

anyway seige was a major part of warfare and its not in this game!!! just a thought.
Edit/Delete Message

and got this reply............

That's a good idea. I would recommend posting it in a new thread rather than leaving it buried in this thread about chain attacking, though. I would also recommend fleshing out the idea a bit. How about these ideas? Perhaps allow siege to be laid to a hidden player. Laying siege would mean that you yourself would be unable to hide (go below 10 health you're always available for attack regardless of online or offline status) for the duration of the siege. It would also mean that your army would fight at only 70% strength - after all combat calculations are made, a 30% penalty would be applied to both your attack and defense rolls against any player OTHER than the one you were laying siege to. However the instant that the player you were laying siege to reached 10 health and came out of hiding you would automatically initiate an attack (possibly even a series of attacks) at 100% of your regular strength. All penalties to your attack/defense rolls would be canceled and the siege would be over.

I'm not going to flesh it out as I'm new to the game and dont pretend to know what I'm on about......and being told I've had a good idea is enough for one year Lol

But how about it? as an idea? oh and Neeeeeeeee

Kim Bradshaw
10-12-2009, 06:11 PM
with a couple of significant issues:

1) Isn't there enough bullying in the game already without allowing these players to set up camp on a smaller, less able player? Consider the plight of the level 80 player who has dueled their way up to High Commander and recruited an army of 250 during their 3 months playing CA... and the level 163 High General who has been playing the game for 8 months and thus has been able to amass more demi-power items, a full 501 army and the money to outfit this army.

How long do you think that level 80 player is going to stick with Castle Age once that High General is camped out on his doorstep chaining him down to nothing every single time he logs on? Once people find easy targets, they hate to let them go. Why take a chance on losing a fight to a player your own size and strength?

What if the person isn't hiding? What if they just happen to have no more health after fighting a bunch of battles against many different targets and then putting some stamina into a dragon?

Too, if people are not on at the same time, your idea doesn't quite work, unless I misunderstood part of it. Someone in Asia is camped outside my keep and is fast asleep when I log on in Canada, how can they take advantage of my 'coming out of hiding?'

There are enough ways for chain attacking players to find their victims and take them out without making it easier for them by letting them, in essence, stalk other players.

The only way I could get behind this idea would be if the defending player had some sort of bonus... the same bonus they would have had in the real world with walls etc.

This leads to the second issue:

2) This sort of idea would eat up a metric buttload of server space and computing resources. It just isn't practical if the developers are in the position of making logged off players inactive due to resource issues. In Viking Clan, my health regenerates and people can attack me once it crosses a certain threshold even after I am logged off, but this game is not able to do that.

This is a game with a lot of different players playing it with vastly different styles, different agendas, different amounts of time they can play it, etc. It has to work for all of them, not at all an easy task for the developers.

thc
10-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I like the idea. But how about this:
Higher level players (say over 100) can lay siege to lesser levels.
Making them like the Dragons, etc.
You have 24 hours to rally your caste age friends of lesser levels to defend your keep and defeat the higher player.

By putting themselves out there as monsters the higher levels could be rewarded with Favor Points and Battle Points.
Or you could add a Siege point system.
Successfully completing a number of sieges would yield a new status or quest, etc.

Maybe it could be tied to completing the quests in a realm. Tie it to a Demi power type or something.

Food for thought.

The King
10-13-2009, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=thc;34031]I like the idea. But how about this:
Higher level players (say over 100) can lay siege to lesser levels.
Making them like the Dragons, etc.
You have 24 hours to rally your caste age friends of lesser levels to defend your keep and defeat the higher player.

I like this Idea!!!! hope this one goes through !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

The Lord of the Files
10-13-2009, 12:46 PM
...Consider the plight of the level 80 player who has dueled their way up to High Commander and recruited an army of 250 during their 3 months playing CA... and the level 163 High General who has been playing the game for 8 months and thus has been able to amass more demi-power items, a full 501 army and the money to outfit this army...

Hmm. Couldn't this problem mitigated, potentially, if the seige battle takes into account the gear and creatures of all the players invovled in the battle?
Somewhere in the level 80 players army of 250 is likely to be a player with enough battle rank and wigdets to make up for the disparity, at least in theory, no? There's no way for the attacker to know what she's really up against.

...The only way I could get behind this idea would be if the defending player had some sort of bonus... the same bonus they would have had in the real world with walls etc...

I think this idea has been floated before, letting people fortify thier "kingdoms", land, etc. If siege warfare was put into the game, it would breathe some life into that idea.

......This sort of idea would eat up a metric buttload of server space and computing resources. It just isn't practical if the developers are in the position of making logged off players inactive due to resource issues.

That would be my main arguement against the seige idea as well. It would be a pretty compelling change to a basically stagnant battle sytem if it were done properly, but a "metric buttload" is putting the requirements mildly. ;)

If it could be done at all, I think there would be room for an option on the defenders part to just put up the drawbridge and wait the enemy out, without fighting. That's the benefit of a game where you don't have to worry about supply lines or travel time. You can just sit behind your walls and blow razzberries at your attacker if you don't want to come out and play.