PDA

View Full Version : Awarding Favor Points for Leveling

Eisforerock
10-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Just a couple or so.

As it stands, it can take days just to get +1

Sophia Dragonhunter
10-08-2009, 06:42 PM
I agree. Mafia Wars and FarmVille have this, and it's working fine.

Edit: And it should be pretty fair with everyone, since newer players level fast, they may be able to keep up with the older players who have been playing this game for months and gathering massive amount of favor points from dragons and demi-blessings.

supey
10-09-2009, 04:58 PM
agree
need it to get epic things

The Lord of the Files
10-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Favor points = Developer Income

Without a significantly more compelling reason than, "I want a more powerful character with less time spent playing", the Devs would be shooting themselves in the foot if they gave us favor points more often.

Not trying to be rude, or shoot you down out of hand, but think about what your suggestions mean to the developers before you make them, not just what they can do for your character.

Grimms AKF
10-09-2009, 06:53 PM
yea they already give you 20 at the start witch can go a long way.. if you don't stupidly spend them like i got a powerful gen. i whoop ass in battles an dragons but like my wife she did the name thing an sent me a energy pot>.>

supey
10-10-2009, 05:17 PM
what if all things need favor point
so devs will get more
and we only have to buy favor point

Kim Bradshaw
10-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Favor points = Developer Income

Without a significantly more compelling reason than, "I want a more powerful character with less time spent playing", the Devs would be shooting themselves in the foot if they gave us favor points more often.

I play Viking Clan, which gives one point per level, and I still buy 30.00 or so worth per month because I can't look at a new, super defense weapon without needing it... even though I have, with much agonized rolling around and squealing, resisted the last three because I am poor... spending all my money on stamina here in CA lately to polish off dragons, etc. Sure, the low levels get points fairly fast, but I am at level 210 in that game and only get one point every few days.

It really wouldn't cause a developer economic crisis if they gave a point away per level. It takes me forever to level these days, and I would still buy points for fabulous units and when that darned dragon has five minutes left on it, and I am out of stamina.

7t2z28
10-10-2009, 05:30 PM
You know what would be really cool? If they'd actually award you your favor points when you sign up and BUY stuff on their partner site list instead of just giving you the run around and BS requests for "transaction" summaries that you've already sent them.

The Lord of the Files
10-10-2009, 05:49 PM
... spending all my money on stamina here in CA lately...

o_O

Really?

Okay, lets look at that then...you're spending around $30 dollars a month because you're impatient. Not trying to offend, but that's what this amounts to. Lets say the devs start giving out one FP per level. Even if you only level up once every 6 days, that's 5 points a month you aren't spending money on. Then multiply that by however many other players have similar buying habits.

So, while 1 favor point for you at high level ups isn't much, and has little individual impact on developer revenue, it could have a huge effect cumulatively.

At 1 point per level a new player could have 70 points within two weeks, counting the 20 they start with, and assumning they don't get more from demis, or dragons.

What do the devs charge for favor points? I've never wanted to buy any, so I don't know. Better believe that the devs have a $ figure attached to favor points though, and they balance that against how many they give out for "free". Free meaning hours of playing time, ad revenue, and user-base growth through the notification deluge.

They want us all to play more, and pay more, not less. It's just good business.

Caitir Eavan
10-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Since I'm lazy, I just copy and paste what I've written somewhere else this morning:

I don't think there needs to be another way to get favour points. The devs give us enough for free (you can get them as dragon rewards too). They do not HAVE to give us any at all. It's just them being nice and giving those with little possibility to buy them the chance to still get lucky and have epic generals etc.
But over all - it's your stats that really count, not the one possible additional general you may get from favour points. If your stats are rubbish, you won't win just because you have Mephistopheles. In fact, I don't have him but I still win a lot!
If you want more favour points than what you get for free, then go and buy them. They are not essential to the game play. Nobody forces you to spend any money, but if you like the application and you can afford it, then instead of complaining about something that's completely free to you, why not buy some to support the devs and help them make the game better that way.

Kim Bradshaw
10-10-2009, 07:00 PM
you're spending around $30 dollars a month because you're impatient.

I completely understand that it is business. My point was ... I also know that people who are already paying for points will not stop because they get a point or two a week. I also know that the people who aren't paying for them now, aren't going to. *shrugs* They will complain about what they do not get for free, and do nothing else. Human nature.

I was the recipient of a mass email in a group affiliated with VC that was sent by a player just to slam another player for the fact that they had spent real money for 100 chieftans rather than recruiting them through the add me process. When I returned the email to tell the sender how inappropriate it was to slam someone who paid money so that he could continue to play for free, he honestly had no idea that people who bought points supported the game rather than just being 'cheaters'. I think the number of players who think this way would shock most of us. It doesn't even occur to them that someone has to get a paycheck out of these free games.

Now for the matter of impatience. Sure, of course I am impatient to a degree, but that is not why I buy points. I buy points simply because I am not willing to come to these boards, suggest all sorts of crap that the developers should be doing, and not support the effort that they are putting into the game. I buy points in this game, Viking and Fairyland every month to encourage the continuation and improvement of the games. (and Fairyland to help adopt rainforest.)

And yes, the points help when Joe X summons a dragon and then buggers off all weekend so that the 300,000 hit points I have put into a dragon are going to go to waste. Then, in the last ten minutes, when I am the only one trying to kill the darned thing, I can afford to keep refilling my stamina. *shrugs* That just makes good business sense too. :p :D

Sophia Dragonhunter
10-10-2009, 07:36 PM
I bet most of those who say "don't give us favor points, it's developer income" do not buy them anyways.

The Lord of the Files
10-10-2009, 11:19 PM
... I also know that people who are already paying for points will not stop because they get a point or two a week. I also know that the people who aren't paying for them now, aren't going to. *shrugs* They will complain about what they do not get for free, and do nothing else. Human nature.

Agreed. That's actually part of what I'm getting at. The current scarcity of FP's encourages new players, who do not share your healthy attitude toward supporting the
developers, to open their wallets. From a developers perspective it's financially counter-productive to make the only in-game resource with an actual cash value more common unless there is some mitigating factor that preserves their income. Hence favor points being available in dragon battles, which helped retain old players and attract new ones. The size of the player base has a direct relation to how much money flows to the devs, so that was a good trade off for them.

...I buy points simply because I am not willing to come to these boards, suggest all sorts of crap that the developers should be doing, and not support the effort that they are putting into the game...

I apologize for presuming to know your motivation. You are among a very small minority, one to which developers of free software owe an enormous debt of gratitude. Having gone back and looked at the suggestions you've put forward lately, it's clear that you actually put some thought into what you ask for, and what others ask for. I'm willing to bet that a lot of your attitude is shaped by being a creative worker yourself, as an author. You understand that entertainment has value, even when it's "free".

Regards,

G

The Lord of the Files
10-10-2009, 11:45 PM
I bet most of those who say "don't give us favor points, it's developer income" do not buy them anyways.

Guilty as charged. I don't send notifications, I block FB ads, and I don't pay for points. My in-game contribution to the developers is slightly on the on the negative side, because my character takes up server cycles and storage space without benefit to the devs through the channels through which they earn income.

On the other side of the coin, I am very conscious of how the devs make their money, what changes to the game may mean to them, rather than to the players, and how to analyze the relation between the two.

I do my level best to encourage those on the forum to see both sides of the issue when they ask for changes. It may be egotistical, but I'd like to think that making a contribution to the viability of the suggestions in this forum has value. I pay-to-play with my time, rather than my pocketbook.

Icefyre HD
10-11-2009, 04:15 AM
They aren't the first I've read saying this, but I can't believe anybody spending money to refill some replenishable stat...wow...but hey, more power to them. They are certainly more dedicated than myself, and however they benefit from opening their wallets is more than me. The only benefit I've ever been interested in for using favor points are the Generals, and possibly some magic (very less likely). Also, I don't have Meph either, but I love when I duel and win against those with the better General. Gives me a real appreciation for how I've developed, though I would kill to have one. Maybe someday I'll spend some money too...let's see what this economy is gonna do first. I've been patient, earned my favor points how they are currently awarded (love it when I catch 2 on a single dragon), and maybe someday I'll be just like those I envy slightly. :D That being said, I never expect anything from someone who puts in their time giving me something I can use for free. Doesn't mean I don't feel my 2 cents aren't free as well. I have been careful (I think) to never use the words must/should when speaking of the devs. I'm too appreciative. That's just me. :D

Kim Bradshaw
10-11-2009, 05:49 AM
I don't have Meph either, but I love when I duel and win against those with the better General.

Mephistopheles saved my butt early game. Tiny army, no equipment... he came in handy. That said, now at level 80 something, he means very little and hasn't for some time, so you won't miss him for long. :D

Kim Bradshaw
10-11-2009, 05:57 AM
I apologize for presuming to know your motivation.

:-) No worries... like all women, I am a mystery.

As for what people ask for... I took a little programming at DeVry... and when I read some of the suggestions posted here, I wince on behalf of what actually implementing the suggestion would take. However, I want to know what happened to my Keira soul... *ransacks CA looking for it*

Sophia Dragonhunter
10-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Hence favor points being available in dragon battles, which helped retain old players and attract new ones. The size of the player base has a direct relation to how much money flows to the devs, so that was a good trade off for them.

And don't you think it would encourage people to play every day if they were awarded favor points for leveling, since people would want to level as much as possible? More people playing everyday = more money for them then, no?

The Lord of the Files
10-11-2009, 11:05 PM
And don't you think it would encourage people to play every day if they were awarded favor points for leveling, since people would want to level as much as possible?...

Hmm. Maybe. I suspect that most players who would be swayed to spend more hours playing by the offer of free favor points are already pretty efficient with the time they spend in the game. There's a point of diminishing returns in the ratio of time spent to levels gained per day, and it's not hard to hit that point. As you level up past 50 and the xp differential increases, it gets even worse, with each level taking significantly longer to achieve, but mostly in terms of real-time, not so much terms of playing time.

With the limitations of point regeneration that we are working under, you can achieve just as much in two fifteen minute sessions as you could if spent several hours tapping your fingers staring at the timers and burning your points as soon as you gained them.

I wish we had access to the statistical breakdowns that the devs do. It's be fascinating to see how aggregate user behavior changes as we level up, in terms of how often we play, for how long, and how spending patterns change.

Caitir Eavan
10-12-2009, 06:55 AM
And don't you think it would encourage people to play every day if they were awarded favor points for leveling, since people would want to level as much as possible? More people playing everyday = more money for them then, no?

I wouldn't spend more time. Simply because there is only so much time to spend for people who also have a life outside CA. Which I do assume is most of us.

I also agree with all the the lord of the flies just posted.

Mytch
10-12-2009, 08:05 AM
I don't see why we should get them for leveling. We can already get them through dragons and demipoints without having to pay and they are gotten in reasonable enough amounts to make use of them here and there. If you want more favor points - buy them. Reward yourself for leveling.

sfgiantsfanmike
10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
You know what would be really cool? If they'd actually award you your favor points when you sign up and BUY stuff on their partner site list instead of just giving you the run around and BS requests for "transaction" summaries that you've already sent them.

This. Did a Disney promo and never saw the points even after I sent them what they asked for. Of course, they asked for something else and all of a sudden Disney is no longer co-operating (can't log onto site and they didn't have a password search last I checked...) so I can't get them what they're asking for...

::edit:: And, trust me, I've spent my fair share of money on this game. With the new general that came out I plunked down my $5 to get the required amount of Favor points to purchase her. It helps me game wise to have another general and it helps them keep this game, the best game on Facebook by quite a bit that I've played, supported. It just seems to me that the offers are sketchy all over Facebook games. I've had to put in SO many requests to get my points/credits from games and now I've finally come across everyone's worst nightmare when it comes to them: not get credit and stuck paying for something you may have put off until later.

Black@smith
04-13-2011, 09:47 PM
that's a little bit unfair to the PvP people, since these type only levels 2 or 3 times a week once they reach 200 level.

There should be another easy way to get favor points, there are too many monster hunters just because of the difficulty in getting the f/p. and the monster hunting is not the attracting point of the game. who the hell log in once a day just to dump all energy and stamina into a big monster?

but if we want to play guild, which is a very good thing they added, we should be able to get more favor points easily so that we can focus on team work. Nowadays there are people in a guild that does nothing because they can't beat anyone from another guild.

Fortevn
04-13-2011, 10:37 PM
You know, it's not that hard giving us 1 FP every time we level up, it encourages people to play. And the more people playing, the better. I say a balanced player can reach lvl 300 in months, but lvl 1k isn't easy. And we all know with the brilliant chests even someone with 9k FP will spend them all in 1 evening. Many games do this and they have a good community.

Farming monsters is also good, but what I'm saying is the amount of FP this game take, let's face it, it's all about the chests. And each month you may want to pay 60 FP for 2 generals. Or even more if their equipments are good.

that's a little bit unfair to the PvP people, since these type only levels 2 or 3 times a week once they reach 200 level.
There is no such thing as "fairness" in this world.

chowmein123
04-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Holy Necromancer o_O!

J.Smullins
04-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Wow this thread again.

Any way unlike the other games mentioned they they give you other ways to earn more then one per level up. And if memory serves they only do it one every other level up.

Even a pvper can farm them in this game. Many do just that. No need to be handed more. In fact I got 5 this week alone and was not even trying.