PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Castle Age

Pages : [1] 2

CChafee
10-06-2009, 10:21 AM
To my Castle Age Friends,
Today, I will be selling off all my goods, filling my coffers, and making my character an easy target for all, and then removing the application from my facebook account within the few days. If I am in your army – you should probably remove me. I will not be sending or receiving any more gifts from this application. In a month or so I may even remove any of you in my “Friends List” that I haven’t had further contact with.
I have strong convictions about my marriage and protect the trust my wife has in me voraciously. She is my best friend and accountability partner. I have an agreement with her about my computer usage and online activities. I also have an agreement with God and myself to live out Scripture as closely as I can. Yesterday my wife saw one of the graphics for the characters in the game and it caused her concern. I do not purchase games with certain body images for women because of my addictive nature, past behavior patterns, and my young daughter. When she saw such an image on the computer screen it caused her to ask a question. I didn’t think anything of it at first, but as I prayed about it and was able to mentally go through all the images of the female characters in the game I realized the there had been a shift. Fanciful characters with traits like blue skin and hair where being replaced with those of a more Anglo or Caucasian decent, with large busts and very scantily clad. This is too close to the line that I have agreed not to cross.
Some may think this is silly or close minded – that’s ok. Like I said, it’s a an agreement I made with God, my wife, and myself. 1Thessalonians 5:22 tells me to “Abstain from the appearance of evil”. Therefore, to avoid even looking like I’m doing something I’ve agreed not to do – I’m removing myself from Castle Age.
I bid you all “Good Journey” and “Happy Questing”.

Jennifer Charpentier
10-06-2009, 10:40 AM
I would like to echo Cedric's concern about the changes in the female characters. Why are they becoming more Anglo and appearing to be one body type?

Originalfox
10-06-2009, 12:08 PM
For goodness sake this is as far as I can tell a harmless game. I can see your wifes point about the obsessional and addictive aspects that may well prevent you from interacting with your wife and family as much as you should. But that is down to the individuals priorities to come up with some piece of religious scripture from whatever source is bonkers. To make out that the images in the game are evil is again.........bonkers
:eek:

Seth
10-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Just leave, I don't care, why bother posting? Why I bother replying? What a waste of time.

CORaven
10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Maybe you should spend less time watching **** and playing Castle Age. :P

On a more serious note, I am looking over the old CA art and I cannot see the changes you are referring to. Any who have changed, with the expection of Celesta (and for better imo) have the same style and skin exposed.
If you liked the game so much, and wanted to keep your promise as you see fit, I would suggest that you write (or request someone to write), a greasemonkey script to either block the images or replace them with more suitable substitutes.

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Just unplug your network, brother. If temptation knocks that loudly, and your ears are so willing to hear it, then dropping out of Castle Age is a token gesture at best. I suspect that you are conflating the symptom and the underlying issue, but you choose your own path.

If your intent is to protect your daughter from images that "objectify" women, then you've a lot more pressing concerns than Castle Age. She's already bombarded with them daily in western culture. Putting the time and effort into building and reinforcing her sense of self-worth is infinitely more effective than trying to keep her in a bubble. What happens when she grows up, and the bubble pops? You should be encouraging her to ask questions, and using every one of them as an opportunity to teach her.

And, for the sake of arguement, why doesn't the male stereotype in the game bother you as much as the female? They are all portrayed as killers. The whole game centers around wanton conflict and slaughter, in fact.

Best of luck in our modern world,

-T.L.o.t.F.

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 01:08 PM
I would like to echo Cedric's concern about the changes in the female characters. Why are they becoming more Anglo and appearing to be one body type?

One word:

Demographics

mrrar
10-06-2009, 01:16 PM
this thread could potentially be epic.

also

lol Anglo or Caucasian descent.

lolololol.

Jehann
10-06-2009, 01:21 PM
One word:

Demographics

1. There are quite a few women who play this game, and yeah, I for one find the Barbie doll figures of the female characters annoying. Can't there be one woman in this game who has reasonable proportions??

2. Are you suggesting that white men are not attracted to busty women with brown skin? Because that's absurd.

My guess is that it hasn't even occurred to the DEVS to bring some diversity to their characters. The "default" if you will, in most fantasy games, comics, etc. is the busy white woman. But do you honestly think fewer people would play the game if that were changed? Do you play to stare at cartoon women, or because you enjoy the battles, dragon fights, and quests?

It might attract more people to the game if the characters represented a larger fraction of the world than western Europe.

BONNIE PETTINGILL
10-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Oh for heavens sakes its a Damn Game, if you dont like it get off of it... you downloaded it... im a grandma and love it...and made many new friends on it..:rolleyes:

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 01:46 PM
1. There are quite a few women who play this game, and yeah, I for one find the Barbie doll figures of the female characters annoying. Can't there be one woman in this game who has reasonable proportions??

2. Are you suggesting that white men are not attracted to busty women with brown skin? Because that's absurd.

My guess is that it hasn't even occurred to the DEVS to bring some diversity to their characters. The "default" if you will, in most fantasy games, comics, etc. is the busy white woman. But do you honestly think fewer people would play the game if that were changed? Do you play to stare at cartoon women, or because you enjoy the battles, dragon fights, and quests?

It might attract more people to the game if the characters represented a larger fraction of the world than western Europe.

I agree with you. What I'm saying is this:

The majority of *new* players coming in to castle age are 18-34 year old males. This is due to the fact that the majority of gamers are still in that category, and a very large portion of facebook users are as well.

From a developers perspective it's a question of return on investment, and it looks something like this:

1. What images are likely to maximize the uptake of new users, based on the target audience and historical data demonstrating the most attractive images to that audience.

2. Is the current graphics package effective, from an uptake perspective, and how have past changes to it effected our revenue?

2. Will a statistically significant portion of our revenue (user base) be lost if we do nothing to change the status quo?

3. Will a our revenue increase significantly enough, assuming a given game change, to make it worth the investment in making that change?

4. Have our competitors made changes similar to those being proposed, and how have those changes effected their user-base, statistically speaking.

There's more to it, of course, but those are the basics. Again, I agree with you, but the devs work on this game to make money. There's very little room for altruism in software development, even less in the gaming industry, and almost none in a market like facebook.

It's about numbers, plain and simple; Demographics.

-T.L.O.t.F.

Mazkal
10-06-2009, 01:49 PM
So what the OP is saying is that women are evil? A semi naked image on a computer is temptation towards evil? Doesn't this strike anyone as absurd?

So the OP has night time fun in the dark and fully clothed?

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 01:54 PM
So what the OP is saying is that women are evil? A semi naked image on a computer is temptation towards evil? Doesn't this strike anyone as absurd?

Well, perhaps he thinks his reaction to those images is evil.

Religion isn't my cup of tea at all, and worldviews like the one the OP appears to hold are a large reason for that, but I can see how he might arrive at his belief.

Genevieve
10-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Yes my thoughts exactly “Abstain from the appearance of evil” pointed at an attractive image of a woman. How unusual. I guess that makes sex evil and large breasts evil, and PLayboy is EPIC EVIL, what century were we in again?

I feel sorry for your wife is she feels threatened by pics on a game. It is just someones art. The female heros are strong and even fight like men. I thought Sex and the City cleared up that it is ok to be sexy, strong and smart!

There is worse stuff in the world to worry about.

Mazkal
10-06-2009, 02:07 PM
I guess that makes sex evil and large breasts evil, and PLayboy is EPIC EVIL, what century were we in again?

This is exactly the point I was trying to get across in my semi-subtle way.

I have never understood how religion and religious people could believe or promote sex as being evil. It is a natural act practiced by all forms of life in one way or another. How is reproduction bad? How is practicing the act of reproduction bad? Murder, war, general bloodshed is evil... not sex.

Lacuna
10-06-2009, 02:20 PM
If you have enough time to worry about if the pictures of some female characters in a fantasy game represent all aspects and fractions of races, looks ect. you certainly have too much time....

As for the characters being mainly West European or Western style....half of them has pointed elvish ears....how in the world is THAT western????? And as a lot of the characters have some kind of elvish/mystical background, that explains them being white...or better: Pale! Elves are ususally pale (even compared to West Europeans^^) They've been "invented" like that. Other cultures have their own myths and mystical creatures with own distintive looks. If a game would be set in that kind of background, nobody in their right mind would complain about the characters there being "too sunburned" or the lack of any other culture.
And, may I add...Castles, like the ones in Castle Age and the whole medival background and the Middle Ages are typical European. So why shouldn't all or the majority of characters be like that too? (In that kind of background, of course). (The only diverse thing that would fit into the Medival context would be a persian/arabic character)

As for somebody quitting the game because he believes that's the right thing to do, it's probably for the better.
Of course, the images of the female characters aren't evil...but some people might find them tempting in a way or another...And that might lead to something which is in their belief an evil thing. Plus, if so a small thing like not playing a game might in the improve a marriage, it's worth it. Especially if said person has had a history with spending too much time in front of the computer instead with family...

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 02:28 PM
This is exactly the point I was trying to get across in my semi-subtle way.

I have never understood how religion and religious people could believe or promote sex as being evil. It is a natural act practiced by all forms of life in one way or another. How is reproduction bad? How is practicing the act of reproduction bad? Murder, war, general bloodshed is evil... not sex.

At the risk of setting off a bomb in this thread, I'll give your question a shot:

Historically speaking, organized religion has made a concerted effort to control the act of reproduction among it's adherents, both to increase the number of practitioners of a given religion, and to maintain cohesive family units that can contribute to the continuity of the religion. It's particularly prevalent in patriarchal religions, where a married female was historically seen as property, and an unmarried one was either on her way to an arranged marriage complete with bride-price, or on her way to being outcast.

The easiest way to do achieve that control is to define "good" sex and "bad" sex in terms that are internally consistent with the teachings of a given religion. Judeo-christian belief starts off with that indoctrination in chapter one. It's one of the basic tenets of the creation story. Nudity = Shame.

As for war, it's been rolled into most religions from the beginning as a perfectly acceptable, even glorious, part of the mythos. Given the condition of the world at the time most modern day religions were founded, it's not surprising; Interpersonal and societal violence was endemic in the ancient world.

-T.L.o.t.F.

spud the 2nd
10-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Dam I missed the semi-naked art work, I must have to much Stamina and fight to many Dragons:D

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Dam I missed the semi-naked art work, I must have to much Stamina and fight to many Dragons:D

Hell, the dragon is TOTALLY naked! You pervert!

Samuel The Impatient
10-06-2009, 02:54 PM
The thing I don't understand is when people complain about other people showing more skin, but have nothing to say about the rampant murder in games.

Monsters can be people too. Look at all these dragons that we're killing. We're taking them away from their homes in a sudden and kind of violent way. They first just sit in your keep, confused about what is going on, then we attack them, and they attack back to defend themselves. Once we kill them, we take their stuff, and then do our best to slay all of their family members, starting with aborting baby dragons while they're still in the egg to summon other dragons.

Not that I have a problem with any of this (it's just a game! Not reality!), but I find it strange that you think cleavage is the most offensive thing in this game.

HouseNdaHouse
10-06-2009, 03:26 PM

yes, plz more asian, black, and latino goddesses are needed. For the whole "buffet" effect!

Computer addiction is quickly becoming one of the key stresses in a marriage. So is texting. Good for you bro! cya ... or not. ;)

Tobec
10-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Ahh, to jump into the firestorm.....

I understand the OP's orginal point. He desires to only respond sexually to one source, his wife. While I admit in this world that this is close to impossible, I think this is an awesome ideal to try to live up to. Kinda hard to cheat if the only one you want is the one you have.

As for sex being good and such, I'd say it depends. Sex with your marriage partner, great. Sex that breaks this marriage bond? That's evil. You are breaking a promise, and betraying someone who you pledged your life to. As for more casual sex, I see several problems with it, such as when the girl gets pregnant, and the guy leaves her. This creates single parent families, which typcially means a more difficult life for this new family, and not fair to the child. It certainly changes the life of the new mother, and she probably will have great difficulty in her own life and improving her situation, now that she is responsible for a child. This is to say nothing of the emotional pain inflicted on the now abandoned mother, and the cost to those around her. Sex can have very powerful consequences, which is why religion advocates for sex within marriage, as this is the arraignment most suitable to meet these challenges.

As for the castle age art, I've always found fantasy art of females to be ridiculous. I wish castle age would be more reasonable in their art, but I don't expect them to. Sure, it won't matter to most, but it will appeal to a small percentage, and that's how advertising works. It convinces a small portion of those who see it to modify their behavior, probably less than one in a hundred, but that's still a huge number of people.

BTW, rock on, Cchafee, I respect the choice you made in putting your wife and family first. That's the kind of men we need today.

tsukiyomi
10-06-2009, 03:46 PM
if the images/art bother you that much,.. but you love playing the game , then you can simple turn off the "load images" option on you browser when you will play castle age... you can still play the game the way it is - however you won't be seeing any piece of art...the background is black too and sometimes the links blend with it, you have to highlight the page so you can see them... all you can see are text ..after you've done what you're supposed to-do...simply turn the load images on..again :)

slosh
10-06-2009, 03:47 PM
With all this all I can think about is:

"Where are you now?"

====== /===\ |====\ /====\ /====\ |====\ /===\
|| | | | | | | | | | | | |
|| | | | | | | | | | | |
|| | | | | | | | | |====| \___
|| | | | | | | | | \
====== |====/ \====/ \====/ | | |
| | | |
\===/

Akai
10-06-2009, 03:47 PM
More power to you OP

Jehann
10-06-2009, 04:22 PM
If you have enough time to worry about if the pictures of some female characters in a fantasy game represent all aspects and fractions of races, looks ect. you certainly have too much time....

Too much time? Really? When I have two daughters at home with lovely brown skin, and the only princesses they ever see in the store are pale white with ridiculous bodies? And if they grow up to share my love of the fantasy genre they will never see any characters that look like them.

Look, I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, and I'm certainly not calling for proportional representation of all races. But a few darker skin tones would not be that difficult for the Devs to incorporate. It would certainly be a nice change, would hardly drive away the 18-24 year old male demographic, and might actually attract some new players.

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Too much time? Really? When I have two daughters at home with lovely brown skin, and the only princesses they ever see in the store are pale white with ridiculous bodies? And if they grow up to share my love of the fantasy genre they will never see any characters that look like them.

Look, I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, and I'm certainly not calling for proportional representation of all races. But a few darker skin tones would not be that difficult for the Devs to incorporate. It would certainly be a nice change, would hardly drive away the 18-24 year old male demographic, and might actually attract some new players.

Well said, Jehann. Now we just need to find some creative commons artwork and an amenable artist for the devs to work with. If we can show them that it's possible to do it for free, I bet they'll at least give it a shot long enough to determine if the change benefits the bottom line or not.

I think cost will be a stumbling block if free isn't available...I know that I'd charge a pretty penny for my artwork if a developer wanted to use it for a game like CA. After all, the art IS the face of the game, the rest of it is just math homework.

queen cj
10-06-2009, 05:08 PM
For goodness sake this is as far as I can tell a harmless game. I can see your wifes point about the obsessional and addictive aspects that may well prevent you from interacting with your wife and family as much as you should. But that is down to the individuals priorities to come up with some piece of religious scripture from whatever source is bonkers. To make out that the images in the game are evil is again.........bonkers
:eek:
What ever happened to tolerance? I feel that Americans will tolerate (or appear to for appearances sake) anything.......except Christianity expressed. If you are gay, jewish, muslim, Indian, agnostic, or anything else it's 'fashionable' to accept them and defend them, but let someone express Christian faith and "oh , they are that crazy right wing". You all have been brainwashed by the media into this stance, and I for one think it's shameful. Obviously, I'm a woman and I have very much noticed the change in the characters. We used to see perhaps the top half of an elf, etc. in appropriate dress for the character, now they are full barbie bodies dressed in shreds of cloth. I know it's for the guys, good lord, could you ever see a woman go into battle dressed in that manner? Dead in 2 seconds. Where's this armor you buy for them?? I BOUGHT Illusia because I thoiugt she looked like a warrior, helmet and all.

I LOVE this game, but I won't let my husband play it either. He has the same problem with exposure to ****; it's like being an alchoholic, get into a little, and he would dive in full steam ahead. It doesn't really affect women.Needless to say, my 17 year old son also can't play.

I'm getting really TIRED of the perfect barbie doll bodies displayed; it's really hard on women to meet these expectations of men now that want that perfect scantily clad body. The pressure is tremendous. I'm over 50, and a techie, so I don't give a rip; but many younger women really have image issues. Let's see some ripped scantily clad guys too; oh.....they don't do that.

Ragnar
10-06-2009, 05:11 PM
The fantasy genre draws the vast majority of its artifacts, critters, and characters more or less directly from Celtic storytelling mythology. There are some exceptions (mostly Hungarian - e.g., Baba Yaga), but 99% of contemporary fantasy storytelling comes straight off the Isle.

This is not to say that there isn't fantasy genres outside of "things that are based directly or indirectly on Find mac Cumail, Cú Chulainn, and the aes sídhe", as many cultures have rich fantasy storytelling domains (the Chinese, Indians, and Japanese spring immediately to mind), but in the context of *feudal* style fantasy storytelling, you're pretty much looking at white (Irish) pagan traditions, at least as they're popularized in the west.

I've seen some pretty good cross-cultural fantasy, but it's definitely the exception to the rule; usually non-Anglo characters or concepts are ridiculously underdeveloped and serve as stereotypical exotic spice instead of interesting in the literary, "contributing fully to the context of the story" sense.

It's far less interesting to me to see the game peppered with different images of non-Anglo characters than it would be to see an interesting *storyline* with non-Anglo characters. If representation of alternative cultural fantasy icons is a desirable goal, just painting someone brown is actually masking the problem instead of making anything better.

So, yeah, don't really care that much in this particular context (it is, after all, *not* a major cultural artifact itself).

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 05:26 PM
The fantasy genre draws the vast majority of its artifacts, critters, and characters more or less directly from Celtic storytelling mythology. There are some exceptions (mostly Hungarian - e.g., Baba Yaga), but 99% of contemporary fantasy storytelling comes straight off the Isle.

This is not to say that there isn't fantasy genres outside of "things that are based directly or indirectly on Find mac Cumail, Cú Chulainn, and the aes sídhe", as many cultures have rich fantasy storytelling domains (the Chinese, Indians, and Japanese spring immediately to mind), but in the context of *feudal* style fantasy storytelling, you're pretty much looking at white (Irish) pagan traditions, at least as they're popularized in the west.

I've seen some pretty good cross-cultural fantasy, but it's definitely the exception to the rule; usually non-Anglo characters or concepts are ridiculously underdeveloped and serve as stereotypical exotic spice instead of interesting in the literary, "contributing fully to the context of the story" sense.

It's far less interesting to me to see the game peppered with different images of non-Anglo characters than it would be to see an interesting *storyline* with non-Anglo characters. If representation of alternative cultural fantasy icons is a desirable goal, just painting someone brown is actually masking the problem instead of making anything better.

So, yeah, don't really care that much in this particular context (it is, after all, *not* a major cultural artifact itself).

Ragnar for the cultural anthropology win. Good points.

Ragnar
10-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Historically speaking, organized religion has made a concerted effort to control the act of reproduction among it's adherents, both to increase the number of practitioners of a given religion, and to maintain cohesive family units that can contribute to the continuity of the religion. It's particularly prevalent in patriarchal religions, where a married female was historically seen as property, and an unmarried one was either on her way to an arranged marriage complete with bride-price, or on her way to being outcast.

A concerted effort? Really? I think you need to do a lot more research on organized religions before you should be tossing around characterizations like that. Not that I necessarily disagree, but that's a pretty broad statement to make without a lot of work to back it up.

The cohesive family unit bit I'll buy, but "controlling the act of reproduction" is a weak contemporary retrofitting of history. At the founding of most of today's major organized religions, controlling the act of reproduction had nothing to do with increasing followers of a religion, but instead providing clear inheritance. Family wealth and entitlement passed from one generation to the next via marriage and birth. The only reason why you wanted to control reproduction was to guarantee that the wealth and entitlement stayed with the clan, instead of being usurped by other power structures.

I think you're conflating "organized religion" with a number of other cultural constructs that developed in parallel. Most of the things you're talking about (like property rights ownership and inheritance) are only correlated with the rise of organized religion. Married females were actually historically seen as belonging to their husbands (in some sense; property rights conceptually didn't exist at that point) well before the rise of even *disorganized* religions.

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 05:43 PM
A concerted effort? Really? I think you need to do a lot more research on organized religions before you should be tossing around characterizations like that. Not that I necessarily disagree, but that's a pretty broad statement to make without a lot of work to back it up.

The cohesive family unit bit I'll buy, but "controlling the act of reproduction" is a weak contemporary retrofitting of history. At the founding of most of today's major organized religions, controlling the act of reproduction had nothing to do with increasing followers of a religion, but instead providing clear inheritance. Family wealth and entitlement passed from one generation to the next via marriage and birth. The only reason why you wanted to control reproduction was to guarantee that the wealth and entitlement stayed with the clan, instead of being usurped by other power structures.

I think you're conflating "organized religion" with a number of other cultural constructs that developed in parallel. Most of the things you're talking about (like property rights ownership and inheritance) are only correlated with the rise of organized religion. Married females were actually historically seen as belonging to their husbands (in some sense; property rights conceptually didn't exist at that point) well before the rise of even *disorganized* religions.

Well, such is the nature of a forum post...a very complex question that would take a major research effort and several doctoral dissertaions to answer in a truly coherent and nuanced fashion, boiled down into a hideously simplified couple of paragraphs. I wasn't trying to provide the end-all answer, trust me. Even attempting to answer this kind of question in the first place has to be approached as a masochistic exercise in constructive pedagogery; Sketch an outline, make a few assertions based on accepted wisdom and a study of history, and confront the questioner with a less than complete answer. They either pick up the topic and look into it further to see if you're right, out of true curiosity, or they change the intellectual channel to something less imposing.

Your points are all perfectly valid. I didn't approach the issue of proto religions or animism and their related sexual politics becaus it was outside the scope of my attempt to encourage further thought on the topic in the real world. Do you really think anything I said was fundamentally incorrect? Are you willing to draw a firm dividing line between religion, politics, and the development of patriarchal cultures in pre-history and in early recorded history?

Regards,

Geoffrey

Ragnar
10-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Do you really think anything I said was fundamentally incorrect?

Dunno, I'm not going to stick my neck out that far :D Cultural anthropology, as fascinating as it is, ranks below IS, mathematics, philosophy, and general science in my reading list right now (although now that I'm ahead on work for the first time in a month, so I'm going back to finish the second half of "Guns, Germs, and Steel" hopefully tonight).

Are you willing to draw a firm dividing line between religion, politics, and the development of patriarchal cultures in pre-history and in early recorded history?

I don't know if I'm willing to draw a firm dividing line between those things in *contemporary* history, so your proposition isn't necessarily invalid. I always get antsy when I see those sorts of statements, though, since people who don't have *any* sort of background in cultural anthropology usually take a statement like that and run off the end of the earth with it.

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 06:03 PM
...The only reason why you wanted to control reproduction was to guarantee that the wealth and entitlement stayed with the clan, instead of being usurped by other power structures...

Yes, exactly. And the clan, as unit, was tied in with the religious system, so the benefit is two-fold; The clan retains it's power, and thus the religion retains it's power via it's connection with a progressively more wealthy and powerful clan. It's a self reinforcing cycle. It seems to me that to try to deny an active awareness of this factor on the part of early religious leaders is to impart some incredibly altruistic motivations to our forbears. It's all about organization and maintenance of power. Calling that power "control" is hardly a step in seven-league boots.

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Dunno, I'm not going to stick my neck out that far :D Cultural anthropology, as fascinating as it is, ranks below IS, mathematics, philosophy, and general science in my reading list right now (although now that I'm ahead on work for the first time in a month, so I'm going back to finish the second half of "Guns, Germs, and Steel" hopefully tonight).

I don't know if I'm willing to draw a firm dividing line between those things in *contemporary* history, so your proposition isn't necessarily invalid. I always get antsy when I see those sorts of statements, though, since people who don't have *any* sort of background in cultural anthropology usually take a statement like that and run off the end of the earth with it.

Yum! Guns Germs and Steel is a great book.

As for running off with ideas, I completely agree. I promise I'll never found a religion, or stand for public office. I'm in the Army anyway, so I've already crossed both those potential careers off my list; Authority is a trap for the self-obsessed, as far as I've seen, and I'm far too egotistical to ever admit that I could be self-obsessed. :D

Kim Bradshaw
10-06-2009, 06:38 PM
... from what I figured would peter out with a few, stop your whinging comments.

On the depiction of women in the game.... sure, it's annoying. I said a few choice words when the fully clothed Celesta was changed out for a bikini model. However, *holds up a picture of Zarevok* who thinks this would work? *Laughs her ass off* Sure, if your goal is to be a tiny-headed statue on the battlefield who just stands there while the enemy smacks at you until they exhaust themselves and you can declare victory. Could he even lift that sword? Or turn his head? Too funny.

Women should ask for their warriors to at least be wearing enough to avoid dying of hypothermia the first three days of campaign, or perhaps even to take a glancing sword blow or two. However, the men should also be asking for depictions of the male characters that are more than gigantic shoulders and tiny heads... gosh, what does that say about men? All muscle, no brains? The point is, it IS a game, and I suggest that if the images offend you, draw up some new ones and email them to the Devs for their perusal.

If your son is playing this game and becomes addicted to ****, how is that the games fault? Seriously... sure, the images are not positive ones necessarily, but there must be other influences in his life that can more than counterbalance them. Same goes for daughters and self-esteem issues... sit with her and laugh at the unrealistic silliness of the chick in chainmaille thing.

Even more importantly, as has been brought up before... are you discussing the culture of this game that encourages killing, and beating weaker, less capable opponents into dog treats over and over so that you can gain money and battle ranks? It is a culture that encourages cyber-bullying and to my mind, that is a much greater concern. Again, however, it is a game, and to take any aspect of it too seriously is to place far too much importance on it.

I am an artist and a writer and try to deal with the stereotypes in my own small way. So, that is my standpoint. If you don't like it, do something about it. Change it, or walk away as the initiator of this thread is doing.

queen cj
10-06-2009, 07:00 PM
The thing I don't understand is when people complain about other people showing more skin, but have nothing to say about the rampant murder in games.

Monsters can be people too. Look at all these dragons that we're killing. We're taking them away from their homes in a sudden and kind of violent way. They first just sit in your keep, confused about what is going on, then we attack them, and they attack back to defend themselves. Once we kill them, we take their stuff, and then do our best to slay all of their family members, starting with aborting baby dragons while they're still in the egg to summon other dragons.

Not that I have a problem with any of this (it's just a game! Not reality!), but I find it strange that you think cleavage is the most offensive thing in this game.
I agree about the violence; in this game however no blood is seen, the violence is so remote it really just seems llike a TV show. I've seen games, Mafia wars for one, that I WILL NOT play. I get their posts from friends. Knifing people, putting out a 'hit' on someone, "whacking " them.....really???? and the graphics are, well, graphic. Not my cup of tea.

mrrar
10-06-2009, 07:04 PM
I agree about the violence; in this game however no blood is seen, the violence is so remote it really just seems llike a TV show. I've seen games, Mafia wars for one, that I WILL NOT play. I get their posts from friends. Knifing people, putting out a 'hit' on someone, "whacking " them.....really???? and the graphics are, well, graphic. Not my cup of tea.

lol. cute.

7 They fought against Midian, as the LORD commanded Moses, and killed every man. 8 Among their victims were Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur and Reba—the five kings of Midian. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. 9 The Israelites captured the Midianite women and children and took all the Midianite herds, flocks and goods as plunder. 10 They burned all the towns where the Midianites had settled, as well as all their camps. 11 They took all the plunder and spoils, including the people and animals, 12 and brought the captives, spoils and plunder to Moses and Eleazar the priest and the Israelite assembly at their camp on the plains of Moab, by the Jordan across from Jericho. [a]

13 Moses, Eleazar the priest and all the leaders of the community went to meet them outside the camp. 14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army—the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds—who returned from the battle.

15 "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them. 16 "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the LORD in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the LORD's people. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=numbers%2031

Oh and let's not forget the classic:

8 O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is he who repays you
for what you have done to us-

9 he who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+137&version=NIV

queen cj
10-06-2009, 07:10 PM
... from what I figured would peter out with a few, stop your whinging comments.

On the depiction of women in the game.... sure, it's annoying. I said a few choice words when the fully clothed Celesta was changed out for a bikini model. However, *holds up a picture of Zarevok* who thinks this would work? *Laughs her ass off* Sure, if your goal is to be a tiny-headed statue on the battlefield who just stands there while the enemy smacks at you until they exhaust themselves and you can declare victory. Could he even lift that sword? Or turn his head? Too funny.

Women should ask for their warriors to at least be wearing enough to avoid dying of hypothermia the first three days of campaign, or perhaps even to take a glancing sword blow or two. However, the men should also be asking for depictions of the male characters that are more than gigantic shoulders and tiny heads... gosh, what does that say about men? All muscle, no brains? The point is, it IS a game, and I suggest that if the images offend you, draw up some new ones and email them to the Devs for their perusal.

If your son is playing this game and becomes addicted to ****, how is that the games fault? Seriously... sure, the images are not positive ones necessarily, but there must be other influences in his life that can more than counterbalance them. Same goes for daughters and self-esteem issues... sit with her and laugh at the unrealistic silliness of the chick in chainmaille thing.

Even more importantly, as has been brought up before... are you discussing the culture of this game that encourages killing, and beating weaker, less capable opponents into dog treats over and over so that you can gain money and battle ranks? It is a culture that encourages cyber-bullying and to my mind, that is a much greater concern. Again, however, it is a game, and to take any aspect of it too seriously is to place far too much importance on it.

I am an artist and a writer and try to deal with the stereotypes in my own small way. So, that is my standpoint. If you don't like it, do something about it. Change it, or walk away as the initiator of this thread is doing.
I think you missed the point entirely. Either you aren't a man; or you aren't facing reality. Come on. All men are visually stimulated, that's why there's a gazillion sites and magazines devoted to **** for guys, and very little for women. In that frame of mind, all men are "alchoholics" when it comes to , um, viisual exposure. If an alchoholic goes into a bar and someone buys him a drink and puts it in front of him, and he drinks it....who's responsible for him falling off the wagon? essentially he is; but the drink was just put in front of him without his request...it's too tempting.

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 07:16 PM
...Come on. All men are visually stimulated...

Well, not all men. Blind men, for instance, escape that pitfall.

;)

Genevieve
10-06-2009, 07:18 PM
You won't let your 17 year old play CA because it is ****?

I am stunned.

I just had a quick flick through the heros photos and most of them are fully clothed. Just 2 without much on and maybe Celestia. Ive seen famous artworks with less on. This is silly.

Caitir Eavan
10-06-2009, 07:18 PM
I think you missed the point entirely. Either you aren't a man; or you aren't facing reality. Come on. All men are visually stimulated, that's why there's a gazillion sites and magazines devoted to **** for guys, and very little for women. In that frame of mind, all men are "alchoholics" when it comes to , um, viisual exposure. If an alchoholic goes into a bar and someone buys him a drink and puts it in front of him, and he drinks it....who's responsible for him falling off the wagon? essentially he is; but the drink was just put in front of him without his request...it's too tempting.

Don't generalise men like that. Just because a man finds the pics nice to look at doesn't mean they'll go do weird things. My fiance (who doesn't play the game, who also happens to be a Methodist Local Preacher with plans of training to be a Deacon or even Minister... just to point out that not all Christians are like the person who opened the topic, though I respect his decision if that's what he feels happy about) has downloaded the pics to our computer because he likes them. So what? I know I can trust him. I know he is strong enough not to 'fall to temptation' or whatever you'd want to call it. If you think all men would give in and do all sorts of things just from seeing a couple of vague drawings of slightly undressed women, maybe you've met the wrong kind of men.

Genevieve
10-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Hell if my husband DIDN'T like seeing good looking women I would be worried! :D

queen cj
10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Yes my thoughts exactly “Abstain from the appearance of evil” pointed at an attractive image of a woman. How unusual. I guess that makes sex evil and large breasts evil, and PLayboy is EPIC EVIL, what century were we in again?

I feel sorry for your wife is she feels threatened by pics on a game. It is just someones art. The female heros are strong and even fight like men. I thought Sex and the City cleared up that it is ok to be sexy, strong and smart!

Again, a woman's view. 99% of us just don't get it; because we look at soft and hard core **** and just say "whoo hoo" and close the page. Men LOVE the feeling they get when looking at this stuff; and it they go for harder and harder ****; because it's there! Eventually they act it out; check how many high "preachers" and men of God that have been brought down by it. Most say "oh, they were a hypocrite to begin with". Stop being judgemental. Not so, most started out with a real desire to help people; but got sucked into the **** black hole and started having affairs to act it out. Yeah, there's a lot of bad stuff in the world. But just like drugs, it starts somewhere, and those who can't resist; well, down they go. Don't stick your head in a hole in the sand when it comes to understanding the male nature; we have our weaknesses too that we need help with. How many really lovely young women have you seen who just can't resist the bad boys? They want to help them, mother them, change them. Just ain't going to happen; but they continue over and over to try. Wake up girls, men don't need another mother, they want an intellegent, independent wife.

Trust me, I did research in this area.

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 07:29 PM
...Women should ask for their warriors to at least be wearing enough to avoid dying of hypothermia the first three days of campaign, or perhaps even to take a glancing sword blow or two. However, the men should also be asking for depictions of the male characters that are more than gigantic shoulders and tiny heads...

ROFL! Too right! Men should be asking for this too. It's hardly fair that the female generals get away with breezy summer outfits while the men clatter around in stifling hundred-pound husks of of oxidizing steel. :D

Kim Bradshaw
10-06-2009, 07:33 PM

....Actually, queen cj... I think you missed what I was saying. Using your analogy, it isn't the drink's fault that the alcoholic drank was more my point. Removing alcohol does not eliminate addictive behavior... it just transmutes into other forms. For example, overeaters who have bariatric surgery and become alcoholics. If people are worried about the images causing addictive behaviour, they have to take steps to deal with that just as they need to take steps to help their spouses or kids avoid alcoholism or treat it. And of course, part of that is avoiding the problem, thus the thread's originator making the right choice for him by walking away.

I agree with some reservations about what drives men, but that wasn't my point either. I was saying, there are unrealistic depictions of both sexes here as well as lack of depiction of other skin colours, etc., but we have choices: play the game making ourselves and those around us aware of the fact the depictions are unrealistic, work to change them, or walk away.

If the game is negatively impacting someone, they should absolutely choose to walk away if that is what is best for them.

And of course the Devs are going to play to the fact that men are stimulated visually as they are the majority of players. They are counting on the drawing nature of the female images... they want a great deal of play, and are banking on the fact that the images will draw men back to a much greater degree than they will repel female players. I am not denying that, or human nature. None of what you commented on was what I was trying to say, so I apologize for not making myself clear.

queen cj
10-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Don't generalise men like that. Just because a man finds the pics nice to look at doesn't mean they'll go do weird things. My fiance (who doesn't play the game, who also happens to be a Methodist Local Preacher with plans of training to be a Deacon or even Minister... just to point out that not all Christians are like the person who opened the topic, though I respect his decision if that's what he feels happy about) has downloaded the pics to our computer because he likes them. So what? I know I can trust him. I know he is strong enough not to 'fall to temptation' or whatever you'd want to call it. If you think all men would give in and do all sorts of things just from seeing a couple of vague drawings of slightly undressed women, maybe you've met the wrong kind of men.
Again, head in the sand. Most guys start off being able to handle stuff, and of course they are trustworthy, you love them. But if you keep on telling yourself no problem, and he dissapoints you; don't blame him. Men are just built that way. Believe me, I've talked to a lot of really good men in my research, but all are stimulated visually. And when hardcore pics left in a room, upside down, ALL took a peek; and then some. It's just being realistic and helping your guy; it's tough for him that you think he's perfect when it comes to ****; because at some point, he's not going to be perfect. Almost all guys have some episode in their life with it; some escape, some don't. Even my Dad, a preacher, said that in his forties he went through a 6 month period where he got more and more involved with looking at ****ography; it changes your mind and what you want; he certainly didn't want my mom during that time. He avoided her, but he pulled out of the hole (with God's help) and realized he was human and could fall. Even Joseph got into trouble with Pottifor's wife; she tried to pull him into bed with her, and pulled off his tunic. What did he do? Tell her no and explain why he couldn't? Just try to be polite and then excuse himself, kiss her a little then extract himself? NO. He RAN...fast. He knew he couldn't control himself and needed out NOW.

Caitir Eavan
10-06-2009, 07:41 PM
whatever research you#re doing...

There's nothing wrong with men wanting sexual things. They're meant to like that sort of stuff - for reproduction purposes.
And I DO disagree - even if every man goes through phases of liking ****ographic pictures, that does not mean that they would betray you in any way. Let them go window shopping, as long as they come home for the rest.

queen cj
10-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Hell, the dragon is TOTALLY naked! You pervert!
Ha! You're right. Completely unclothed, the little dragon pervert. <lol>

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 07:45 PM
...Wake up girls, men don't need another mother, they want an intellegent, independent wife...

I think your view of men's propensities is generally viable, but I fear you're overstating the case somewhat in generalizing across the gender in regards to ****.

By your logic, it seems as though what we would really want would be an intelligent, independent **** star.

I'm pretty sure that's not what allmen want, since it isn't what I want. We may be simple creatures, but we're not so basic that we can all be stuffed into the same pigeonhole based on a simplification of our desires.

Regards,

Geoffrey

Anraiki
10-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Control Issue here? Couldn't you at least make a deal with your wife instead of going the one way road?

queen cj
10-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Hmmm. Sex can be a powerful weapon, and evil. Haven't you seen how many politicians and preachers are ruined because of affairs? John Edward couldn't run for dogcatcher right now. I'd say that's pretty powerful. Sex in marraige, or a commited relationship is great, and FUN I might add <g>....but just try cheating on your wife, and her finding out, and I think you'll find out just how "evil" she thinks it is............

Kim Bradshaw
10-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Wow, I am glad that I am female then, because if you are a man, you are doomed.

*shakes head* The point is that the game is not responsible for men wanting to look at women or ****. The vast majority of men are not pathetic victims of their hormones and sex drives. Come on, what do they do when they have to go to work, tape **** inside their hardhats, or jackets?

How do they get anything done at all with all the **** in the world? Day-um... it sucks to be them, I guess.

My separated husband had a smart, independent wife but wants a mother. Connection to the separation thing, maybe? Definitely, because I refuse to be his mother, his keeper, etc. Don't pigeonhole all we women, either.

Lord of the Files... braille ****? An untapped market, maybe?

Pillowpants
10-06-2009, 07:53 PM
EPIC LOL @ OP! HAHAHAHAHAHAhAh! Castle Age is the DEVIL's toy hahah!

http://www.bradsburgers.com/images/thread%20delivers.jpg

Jehann
10-06-2009, 07:55 PM
By your logic, it seems as though what we would really want would be an intelligent, independent **** star.

This gave me a chuckle.
:p

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Hmmm. Sex can be a powerful weapon, and evil...but just try cheating on your wife, and her finding out, and I think you'll find out just how "evil" she thinks it is...

I dunno CJ...

I have a hard time seeing the physical act itself as evil. It's the emotional betrayal invelved that would get me.

I suspect that my wife could entertain thoughts of slitting my throat in my sleep if I ever cheated on her, and I can't say I'd blame her. By the same token though, I don't think she'd be any less hurt if she caught me kissing another woman. She might well think that betraying her was an evil thing to do...that wouldn't surprise me at all in that situation, but the sex itself as evil? Hard to swallow.

queen cj
10-06-2009, 07:59 PM
At the risk of setting off a bomb in this thread, I'll give your question a shot:

The easiest way to do achieve that control is to define "good" sex and "bad" sex in terms that are internally consistent with the teachings of a given religion. Judeo-christian belief starts off with that indoctrination in chapter one. It's one of the basic tenets of the creation story. Nudity = Shame.

As for war, it's been rolled into most religions from the beginning as a perfectly acceptable, even glorious, part of the mythos. Given the condition of the world at the time most modern day religions were founded, it's not surprising; Interpersonal and societal violence was endemic in the ancient world.

-T.L.o.t.F.
I'm not really disagreeing with anything you said, the dark ages were...dark. There were so many horrible things done also in the name of Christianity that it makes me sick. That doesn't mean modern day Christians adhere to those fundamentals thoiugh. i mean, we dropped the inquisition <g> with the exception of perhaps Monty Python; and all that witch burning; well, we don't do that anymore either. Come on, things change. However, the core, the kernel, the basic truth of Christianity has survived and has nothing to do with all the barbaric topics you expressed.

As for that being your defense of sexual, um, freedom...again, if you are married, just give it a try. I guarantee women think differently. It's just the way WE are built; and has nothing to do with ancient history. As for the nakedness = shame, well, how many times have you walked around town butt naked? Anyone? Why not? We're afraid of people judging us, or our bodies. We would feel ashamed.

HouseNdaHouse
10-06-2009, 08:00 PM

Don't you know that Europe was the ONLY continent with people on it until just recently??? WTF Noob... read your history ... the only blacks I know of are the Orikai minions of Sarumon the white...hahahaha black slaves of a white wizard how did they get away with that one?

Anyway, since ALL movies are based on true fact I think all medieval and fantasy movies should only involve white people, except for the black side kicks that always die, and the evil minions that always seem to be really tan! Or the evil female witches that always seem to be asian.

queen cj
10-06-2009, 08:03 PM
I dunno CJ...

I have a hard time seeing the physical act itself as evil. It's the emotional betrayal invelved that would get me.

I suspect that my wife could entertain thoughts of slitting my throat in my sleep if I ever cheated on her, and I can't say I'd blame her. By the same token though, I don't think she'd be any less hurt if she caught me kissing another woman. She might well think that betraying her was an evil thing to do...that wouldn't surprise me at all in that situation, but the sex itself as evil? Hard to swallow.
You're getting close to getting it....in the female mind; sex can't be divided from the feelings of betrayal;.....or commitment. They are one and the same. Remember Lorena Bobbit? She didn't slit his throat........

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Come on, what do they do when they have to go to work, tape **** inside their hardhats, or jackets?

...OH ****

You figured out the great dark secret of Manhood. We're doomed.

Too late, Playboy is already available in braille. I never bought a copy though; I can't read braille, and I'd really miss all those insightful articles.

Kim Bradshaw
10-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Anyway, since ALL movies are based on true fact I think all medieval and fantasy movies should only involve white people, except for the black side kicks that always die, and the evil minions that always seem to be really tan! Or the evil female witches that always seem to be asian.

DANG IT! Geez, thanks House... now I have four novels to completely rewrite. You couldn't have mentioned this 400,000 words ago?

*grumbles and stalks off to start rewriting for all white characters... save for the dead black sidekick, asian witch and really tan bad guys.*

While, I'm at it, I'm changing all the girls into bikinis and the men into gigantic robot-statue suits.

queen cj
10-06-2009, 08:10 PM
lol. cute.

7 They fought against Midian, as the LORD commanded Moses, and killed every man. 8 Among their victims were Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur and Reba—the five kings of Midian. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. 9 The Israelites captured the Midianite women and children and took all the Midianite herds, flocks and goods as plunder. 10 They burned all the towns where the Midianites had settled, as well as all their camps. 11 They took all the plunder and spoils, including the people and animals, 12 and brought the captives, spoils and plunder to Moses and Eleazar the priest and the Israelite assembly at their camp on the plains of Moab, by the Jordan across from Jericho. [a]

13 Moses, Eleazar the priest and all the leaders of the community went to meet them outside the camp. 14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army—the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds—who returned from the battle.

15 "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them. 16 "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the LORD in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the LORD's people. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=numbers%2031

Oh and let's not forget the classic:

8 O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is he who repays you
for what you have done to us-

9 he who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+137&version=NIV
You really don't see the difference between a nation attacking another and an individual "whacking" another person? <murder>

queen cj
10-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Wow, I am glad that I am female then, because if you are a man, you are doomed.

*shakes head* The point is that the game is not responsible for men wanting to look at women or ****. The vast majority of men are not pathetic victims of their hormones and sex drives. Come on, what do they do when they have to go to work, tape **** inside their hardhats, or jackets?

How do they get anything done at all with all the **** in the world? Day-um... it sucks to be them, I guess.

My separated husband had a smart, independent wife but wants a mother. Connection to the separation thing, maybe? Definitely, because I refuse to be his mother, his keeper, etc. Don't pigeonhole all we women, either.

Actually, **** is a big problem in the workplace. I had to install LOts of control software on the servers to keep it out; and still sometimes some guy manages to drill through; and he's fired immediately. Corporations aren't taking kindly to you viewing **** on the job; although it's interesting you mentioned construction workers...ha! the guys on construction around her, when the lunch break happens, take their lunch out the lunchbox along with the **** mag. No talking, but the portapotties stay full........<g>

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 08:15 PM
...That doesn't mean modern day Christians adhere to those fundamentals thoiugh...

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that they did. It's just part of the christian literature, and part of the history of the faith. I was speaking from a historical perspective.

...As for that being your defense of sexual, um, freedom...again, if you are married, just give it a try

I don't remember approaching the topic of sexual freedom at all in that post. I'm hardly likely to ever use religious teaching as a basis for justifying anything...I'm an agnostic, and I really can't stand hypocrisy.

...As for the nakedness = shame, well, how many times have you walked around town butt naked...

I was using that in context though. It wasn't walking around town, it was (supposedly) the only two human beings on earth, several thousand years before the creation of the first pair of boxer briefs, being suddenly forced to feel shame at their natural condition.

And to answer your question, once, but not all the way around the town, I was too drunk for that much walking.

queen cj
10-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Actually, **** is a big problem in the workplace. I had to install LOts of control software on the servers to keep it out; and still sometimes some guy manages to drill through; and he's fired immediately. Corporations aren't taking kindly to you viewing **** on the job; although it's interesting you mentioned construction workers...ha! the guys on construction around her, when the lunch break happens, take their lunch out the lunchbox along with the **** mag. No talking, but the portapotties stay full........<g>
Also, good for you. Like I said, females have a load of faults too, but thank goodness some of us have 'evolved' into that strong independent female (I'm a VP of my coporation and my husband loves it)

At the risk of lots of flames, I'd say the one fault females can't seem to escape is our mouths. Gossip, dissing, pissing off your husband so bad that they just leave the room, etc. I'm a master of the sarcastic retort, and not proud of it. It just slips out....but I'm trying. My husband helps...when it's too sharp he just says "really???" and I back off the cutting remarks.

queen cj
10-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that they did. It's just part of the christian literature, and part of the history of the faith. I was speaking from a historical perspective.

I don't remember approaching the topic of sexual freedom at all in that post. I'm hardly likely to ever use religious teaching as a basis for justifying anything...I'm an agnostic, and I really can't stand hypocrisy.

I was using that in context though. It wasn't walking around town, it was (supposedly) the only two human beings on earth, several thousand years before the creation of the first pair of boxer briefs, being suddenly forced to feel shame at their natural condition.

And to answer your question, once, but not all the way around the town, I was too drunk for that much walking.
OO you bad boy...ok, I had a college meltdown too. As for meeting God nude, well,, according to the bible it was only after Satan visited them and they found out about evil that they felt ashamed. You are right, in a perfect world, there wouldn't be any.

queen cj
10-06-2009, 08:41 PM
DANG IT! Geez, thanks House... now I have four novels to completely rewrite. You couldn't have mentioned this 400,000 words ago?

*grumbles and stalks off to start rewriting for all white characters... save for the dead black sidekick, asian witch and really tan bad guys.*

While, I'm at it, I'm changing all the girls into bikinis and the men into gigantic robot-statue suits.
Ha! Now come on.....the men have to be scantily clad too...where's the eye candy for us <not>

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 08:56 PM

Don't change a thing, we'll leave it as is, call it "progressive fiction" and make a mint off the controversy.

*rubs hands*

It'll be a gold mine!

Jehann
10-06-2009, 08:56 PM

Don't forget the magic <insert person of color here>, the font of all wisdom!:rolleyes:

Archon JR
10-06-2009, 09:01 PM
It always amazes me that sex is considered more evil then violence. A couple of pictures of people that are not real, they are cartoons, can cause you to become addicted to ****, brake up a marriage, and destroy woman’s self esteem. WOW THESE LITTLE PICTURES HAVE THAT MUCH POWER. It’s a game if you can not tell the difference between a game and reality, PLEASE turn the computer OFF. GET HELP !!!! :eek:
As for queen cj suggestion about the eye candy for you …why not lets us guys also get problems with our body image. FAIR IS FAIR.
:D
It’s a game enjoy it and go with the flow as it changes and evolves there are bound to be some miss steps but in the end it’s the journey that makes it worth playing.

Luxor The Moonprince
10-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Entertaining thread - usual mixture of well presented argument interspersed with ignorance and "righteous" injustice.

This thread has moved on somewhat from the original closed minded compliant .tho

(IMO - even tho I regard religion as a crutch for the weak minded - (now Iv got the insult out of the way..) - why not regard it as a minor test of your convictions? I'm sure you guys believe in something like resisting temptation or something like that - there you go - CA brings the church into your own living room...)

Im wasting my time, and keystrokes.

But if anyone can be bothered I would recommend researching Richard Dawkins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dawkins

You will learn alot about religion if you do...

KFC
10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Richard Dawkins....isn't that the dood that used to run the Family Feud game show? =P :p:D

Akai
10-06-2009, 10:18 PM
My mind just exploded.

The Lord of the Files
10-06-2009, 10:44 PM
My mind just exploded.

And now we know...

Every time a child asks a question, somewhere, a gamers head explodes.

Let this be a lesson to us all.

Everything Zen
10-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Why even post this in the first place, is it part of some almighty plan so your wife will let you back in bed with her? Seriously, if she is that uptight about a cartoon picture in a game, then she (and ultimately you) has much, much bigger self-esteem problems. My guess is that she has issues with her own appearance whether justified or not.

Fair warning, next time you are having sex and scream the name Morrigan then she will divorce you, and quite frankly you will be better off without her controlling every little aspect of your life to ease her deep rooted self hate.

DAGON
10-06-2009, 11:41 PM
I feel so sorry for people who have issues with their self -image and with nudity and sexual expression. There is obviously some deeper issue here, the gentleman has his reason's for leaving, and I respect his decision and his point of view as an adult human -being. I know where I stand and am completely comfortable with this game as a diversion and a form of entertainment. I hope the OP and his wife and child find happiness in whatever life they choose, and I hope they wish the same for everybody here. Only when another's point of view is forced upon me or others do I have an issue with it. Live and let live. As for the depictions of the characters in the game, if anyone out there is really getting any thrill off viewing them, WOW, you have a very low threshold for stimulation. These are cartoonish images, and for me they barely register as I play the game. This discussion is interesting, but not entertaining, and since that is what I am here for, back to the battle!

mrrar
10-07-2009, 01:23 AM
You really don't see the difference between a nation attacking another and an individual "whacking" another person? <murder>

attacking another nation?

Moses demanded that the israelites kill all men, women, and children, except virgin females (who would all be children, remember.. ;) ) and to take them, **** them, and sexually enslave them.

The other describes the bashing of infants heads on stones in vengeance-- Psalms was 'written' by David, the noble [warrior] King.

Murder is far less of a sin than what they demanded.

I certainly wouldn't condone the mafia, but to suggest that violent stories, when the Bible is filled with God demanded (and acting out on or having his agents act out on) genocide... The bible is not wholesome. History is not wholesome. Embracing that fact is okay. It's good.

It's like the way Europe bans the selling or picturing of Nazi imagery. It's doing nothing more than hiding the problem, making it so people won't face it.

Let me put it to you another way. When you and your guy have a problem, what's a more effective means for dealing with it? Sitting down and talking about it? Or avoiding mentioning it and pretending it never happened?

The latter is exactly what this-- pretending violence doesn't exist, or pretending it isn't prevalent through the Bible-- is.

But being willing to discuss it in frank contexts allows you to cope with and understand it, as well as make the choice, recognize, how horrible it is.

Those movies, like the untouchables, where sure violent things happen but it's all for the greater good? Or movies that glorify the Mafia, in which no one really gets hurt, they just sorta get roughed up... that's harming society. But if you have a game that clearly illustrates these are _bad people_...

Eh.. in conclusion? it's a game. It's a story. If you can't determine the difference between story and real life, then you have bigger problems. If your guy has that difficulty, or your children, I strongly and very seriously recommend you get them psychiatric help. Because that's a really, really bad state of being.

;)

Caitir Eavan
10-07-2009, 06:25 AM
You're getting close to getting it....in the female mind; sex can't be divided from the feelings of betrayal;.....or commitment. They are one and the same. Remember Lorena Bobbit? She didn't slit his throat........

...you sure are obsessed with ****ography, and with generalising all men and women.
Just as I disagreed with you about all men eventually going to betray their wifes - I strongly disagree with this. A lot of women - me included - do not AT ALL think that sex and betrayal have anything to do with each other. Just because you sleep with someone doesn't mean they're going to jump into the bed with the next best person after you. That's ridiculous.
I don't think you're right about sex and commitment either. Personally, I'd have to agree there, because I disagree with sleeping around... and feel you should stick with one partner. But I know women who have one night stands just as much as men do. No difference there.

Also, while we're all discussing how it may be morally evil on religious grounds to be looking at comic pics of some women... anyone notice that IF you wanted to leave the game because you're Christian, it should be because we have to worship demi gods? (...you shall not have any other gods besides me).

Luxor: haven't read the book he wrote, but had a look at it once - I don't think you can convince anyone who believes with something like this book. Because for everything he writes that proves that God doesn't exist - I could tell you why it shows he does. Interesting discussion material though.

tela
10-07-2009, 06:27 AM
I just saw the full picture of Kiera fighting with her gianormous mammaries, legs open, massive thighs, and rather phallic cod piece... and I thought to my self, I'll bet that's the very picture his wife saw. I have to say I do find it kind of offensive. Not enough to stop playing; but it does make me wish the Devs could make better choices on images. Not to mention it looks like some cheap anime rip off and not consistent with the other art.

Oh, and I love Richard Dawkins - but somehow don't think he would love the artwork either.

Luxor The Moonprince
10-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Just because you sleep with someone doesn't mean they're going to jump into the bed with the next best person after you. That's ridiculous.

Thats where I am going wrong then. You learn something new every day..

Also, while we're all discussing how it may be morally evil on religious grounds to be looking at comic pics of some women... anyone notice that IF you wanted to leave the game because you're Christian, it should be because we have to worship demi gods? (...you shall not have any other gods besides me).

Interesting point which I had failed to pick up on. I suppose since CA is "only a game" the religious minded amongst us have the right to be selectively outraged...

Luxor: haven't read the book he wrote, but had a look at it once - I don't think you can convince anyone who believes with something like this book. Because for everything he writes that proves that God doesn't exist - I could tell you why it shows he does. Interesting discussion material though.

I don't think RD has had much success in re-educating religious people either. But I don't think in fairness he really wants to. He has had more success in driving out religious doctrine from schools - and it matters more there. I approve of this whole heartedly. Young impressionable minds do not need to have their heads filled up with mumbo-jumbo in principles that are not built on facts - but instead built on faith.

School is for learning. You learn through observation. You observe by denoting the affects of a hypothesis or experiment has by pursuing the empericial facts.

Religion has no place in any of the above. I has - and always will do - hung onto a semblance of respectability my barging it's way into society and demanding to be heard above all other counter arguments.

And I have had to delete the rest of what I had written. Whilst I believe it - many would find it offensive. That is not my purpose - but the whole idea of religion offends me from start to finish - so maybe I had the right. I don't know...

Joybug
10-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Personally I'm not a fan of any religion that is THAT oppressive. People that are easily offended shouldn't be on the internet in my opinion. If you are still thinking like you are in the middle ages and can't handle the visual of a cartoon character then you should stay away from technology altogether.
I do commend you on standing with your wife how ever psycho she (or both of you) might be. Seriously, no one who plays is going to give a damn about the reasons why you quit; except maybe to mock you. Posting all that was just a wast of everyone's time. Just go away and fade into obscurity...I hope she at least will keep you warm at night.
http://roguejew.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/muslim11.jpg
"Religion - oppressing the masses for thousands of years"

jkarenbenson
10-07-2009, 07:50 AM
It is such a shame that God, and Christians get such a bad wrap. The true culprit is RELIGION. take religion out of the picture, and you have a reason to find God.
As far as ****...the problem is not in the art work, but the eye of the beholder.You can't be offended unless you allow yourself to be offended, ( some people are more easily offended than others) so do what you need to do. and lastly, yes they could be a little more modest in their choices. iI like to PLAY the game, not get all worked up over the pictures.

Caitir Eavan
10-07-2009, 08:33 AM
I don't think RD has had much success in re-educating religious people either. But I don't think in fairness he really wants to. He has had more success in driving out religious doctrine from schools - and it matters more there. I approve of this whole heartedly. Young impressionable minds do not need to have their heads filled up with mumbo-jumbo in principles that are not built on facts - but instead built on faith.

School is for learning. You learn through observation. You observe by denoting the affects of a hypothesis or experiment has by pursuing the empericial facts.

Religion has no place in any of the above. I has - and always will do - hung onto a semblance of respectability my barging it's way into society and demanding to be heard above all other counter arguments.

And I have had to delete the rest of what I had written. Whilst I believe it - many would find it offensive. That is not my purpose - but the whole idea of religion offends me from start to finish - so maybe I had the right. I don't know...

I was brought up atheist, so never got any of that religious education in school - and even though I believe in God now, I agree with you that it shouldn't be that big in schools. (I took philosophy lessons instead - highly recommend that!) Children should learn about religion in Sunday School at their Church. With the multi-cultural society that we live in, having specific lessons for each faith wouldn't work, so you end up just getting the Christian one. School is just not the place for those teachings.
Though we still do live in a Christian country (at least for those of us in the UK or similar...) - as such, there still should be Christmas holidays, holiday activities (I think it's ridiculous of some to try and ban schools from singing Christmas songs... my parents always did and still do celebrate Christmas just as a get together for the family with all the songs and a tree and everything else - you don't have to be Christian to have some fun).

I'd be quite interested in the rest you had written *lol*:o

Lacuna
10-07-2009, 08:34 AM

First of all, English is not my native language, so I can't really always express myself politically correct and it's too much trouble for me, so I won't bother. Please don't be offended.

Second, you read my post till the end, so you should understand my argument. And in case I didn't bring the point across good enough. Ragnar made a fantastic post on page 3 of this thread to bring his point across and that's exactly what I've been trying to say:
The whole medival/elvish/celtic/kind of Lord of the Rings fantasy story comes from Western Europe and was invented during a time when Western Europeans were the only ones living here. If you're aiming for that kind of context, of course all your characters would look like that and there would be nothing bad about it. Unless you're aiming for a cross-cultural story, I think it would only be a false sense of political correctness if you placed a black, Latin, Asian ect. character in such a story.
I would not mind more cultural diversity in CA, but I don't think it is necessary and from the context this games comes from, it's totally acceptable for me.

Third, if you wish for your children to understand and live diversity and learn from it, then you should make sure that they experience it. And, sorry to say that, that's your job. Not the entertainment industry's. If you wish for your children to listen to a story in which the hero/princess is not white, than look for story from a different culture!
Then your children will understand that there is diversity and that a princess can have whatever skin color/cultural background/religion there is and the will understand and learn to accept that some stories are simply set in a different culture and learn to accept that this is the reason that the hero/princess in that particular story is from that particular culture and not neccessarily from their own.
But presenting them something that's probably not the most widly-spread story (like the princess being white with ridiculous proportions) is primarily your job as a parent (if I'll ever have children I would certainly see that as my job) and not somebody else's. And it is possible because such things exist. Unfortunately, it just takes more time to find them.

So yes, to me complaining and worrying about the lack of cultural diversity in games (as long as they are set in a specific context) is a waste of time.

Children should learn about religion in Sunday School at their Church. With the multi-cultural society that we live in, having specific lessons for each faith wouldn't work, so you end up just getting the Christian one. [...]

Disagreed.
Schools are supposed to behave neutral with the topic of religion and teach it in a neutral way. I'm from Germany, Religion is a subject at school here and it's even compulsory till you turn 14. Of course, only if you are of any faith.
Most of the time, when I was at school, it was only catholic and protestant (yes, in seperated classes, even though most people here don't care about that^^). Islam lessons at school are still a rather controversial topic, but they will be introduced. And I agree with that. (Muslim children, children of other religions and non-believers had something called "Ethics" during that time)

Because the people that teach at "sunday school" are usually not neutral and not educated like school teachers. So why in the world would we have such people educating children in such a sensible topic like religion?
If the sunday school teacher is a tolerant, moderate believer, he will teach that way and educate children to be open-minded about religion.
If the sunday school teacher is a hardcore fundamentalist, he will educate children that way and the probability is pretty high, that children will adapt that point of view.

A school teacher would be educated and required to teach in a moderate open-minded fashion. Teaching religion at school doesn't mean that you tell people what to believe in. It's more about presenting aspects and teaching the lesson behind the story and once you're older there's a lot of controversial discussion.
I dropped out at the beginning of 10th grade, spent 11th grade in America and took philosophy during 12th and 13th grade (which I can highly recommend) since either philosophy or religion is still required (You are given a lot of choices between A and B like that in German highschool^^).
I think there should be religion lessons and there should be lessons for every faith and at some point there should be lessons that teach you about relegions other than yours. So you can learn the principals of a different religion and once you understand them, you can better understand different religions.

avacado333
10-07-2009, 08:54 AM
This is awesome. I dont understand why **** is so wrong. I cant believe people are even comparing the pictures of the characters on this game to it. That's just ridiculous 8)

Ar4i
10-07-2009, 09:00 AM
lol, if someone wants to enslave himself, his own mind and narrow his visions this is his choice.
Internet is a tough place for such people - very tough, because it does expose that the world has changed, because it does provoke a wider vision, because it offers information which is hardly censored.

There is nothing inappropriate in the art of this game, the reason why someone's children might ask questions and especially the reason why those questions aren't already answered or are even considered hard to answer are in their parents not on the screen.

Caitir Eavan
10-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Disagreed.
Schools are supposed to behave neutral with the topic of religion and teach it in a neutral way. I'm from Germany, Religion is a subject at school here and it's even compulsory till you turn 14. Of course, only if you are of any faith.
Most of the time, when I was at school, it was only catholic and protestant (yes, in seperated classes, even though most people here don't care about that^^). Islam lessons at school are still a rather controversial topic, but they will be introduced. And I agree with that. (Muslim children, children of other religions and non-believers had something called "Ethics" during that time)

Because the people that teach at "sunday school" are usually not neutral and not educated like school teachers. So why in the world would we have such people educating children in such a sensible topic like religion?
If the sunday school teacher is a tolerant, moderate believer, he will teach that way and educate children to be open-minded about religion.
If the sunday school teacher is a hardcore fundamentalist, he will educate children that way and the probability is pretty high, that children will adapt that point of view.

A school teacher would be educated and required to teach in a moderate open-minded fashion. Teaching religion at school doesn't mean that you tell people what to believe in. It's more about presenting aspects and teaching the lesson behind the story and once you're older there's a lot of controversial discussion.
I dropped out at the beginning of 10th grade, spent 11th grade in America and took philosophy during 12th and 13th grade (which I can highly recommend) since either philosophy or religion is still required (You are given a lot of choices between A and B like that in German highschool^^).
I think there should be religion lessons and there should be lessons for every faith and at some point there should be lessons that teach you about relegions other than yours. So you can learn the principals of a different religion and once you understand them, you can better understand different religions.

Funny you say that - I grew up in Germany - and my parents made sure we never had to attend any religious classes. We had to sit in some other classroom instead for that one hour. 'Ethik' is what I meant with philosophy... we discussed all sorts of philosophers, read quite a few theories.

I don't disagree with being taught about religion as such - if you are being taught about ALL religions. But as you say - it's divided into protestant and catholic in Germany (even though they're both Christian, you get two different teachings) - THAT is the kind of stuff that should happen at the churches that the children go to. But at school, give them all philosophy lessons and let them learn about the diversity of stuff that's out there. I can see what you say about fundamentalists teaching the children - but really, they are biased anyway because of the family they grow up in. If the parents are quite fundamental about it, they will bring their kids up that way anyway. Parents who are very open would realise if their Sunday School teacher had weird opinions and would do something about it. The type of Sunday School teachings usually reflect the type of Church you go to.

CChafee
10-07-2009, 10:08 AM
WOW – Pandora would be proud of what it appears I have done!
It appears that I need to be more thorough in my original posts into forums. I will attempt to clarify a few things that apparently I miscommunicated. There is no way I can appropriately respond to all these comments – I have to go to work sometime – but I will an attempt. Benevolent or malevolent I enjoyed reading them all.

For those offended, or at least irked, by my use of religious text in my original post – oh well. It’s who I am and what I try to guide my life by. Sometimes I’m successful, sometimes not. I was just giving credit to the Author of a portion of a text that seems to have been coming to mind a lot in my life lately.

I was playing CA on my laptop and my wife was across the room and saw the picture of Celesta popping up several times. From across the room it looked like a woman in a bikini – so she asked about it. I told her that the graphic used to be the one with the “blue lady” in it. She came across the room, looked more closely, and then walked away. No other comments were made by her. The evaluation of the rest of the graphics I did on my own. Part of the fact that I was able to bring them all to mind in detail made me realize how much I had been playing the game. As a professional in the graphics field, they are all well done and I can look at them on that level, much like a doctor looking at a human body. They are neither evil nor good in themselves, but if they look like a woman in a bikini, which I’ve agreed with myself and my wife not to intentionally go about viewing – then I will choose to look elsewhere.

As to just blocking the images – I used to. Due to cutbacks in my paycheck, we can no longer afford the filtered internet service that I had for all my home computers. So now, we are becoming more self-disciplined instead of relying on technologies. This may be why I did not discover CA until only a few weeks ago.

The Lord of the Flies – I think that you and I would have many good conversations. Unfortunately, computers and posting do not allow for all the nuances that would be required. Your demographics comments are insightful – and I do not fall within those parameters. We would not always agree, but that is what would make the conversations good.

I could not find the post again to give them credit for “It’s just a game”. I agree that’s why it’s really not that big of a deal for me to give it up. I know that most of the apps on facebook are social in nature and are designed to “link” participants together. I did not want someone else’s character to be adversely effected by my sudden stop in playing. Maybe that is a little egotistical to think I am “all that”, but I’ve been called worse.

Ok it has been an hour of re-reading, thinking and typing and I am not even close to responding to all the thread comments. I guess I will just have to let this go as well. I will probably be back to read more of this thread, but for those wishing to converse directly – just friend me.

Off to reality and work.

DinGa
10-07-2009, 11:37 AM
lol to this entire thread. If a person cannot contain themselves after looking at an image if a female with big pointy ears then there is something seriously wrong with that person. Why don't we just cover everybody head to toe in black robes so we'll never ever be seduced by the devil?!

The Lord of the Files
10-07-2009, 12:15 PM
WOW – Pandora would be proud of what it appears I have done!

Well, she could certainly sympathize. As long as there's something positive at the bottom of the box, and I suspect that the time you recover from the game can be put to a positive use spending time teaching your daughter.

The Lord of the Flies – I think that you and I would have many good conversations. Unfortunately, computers and posting do not allow for all the nuances that would be required. Your demographics comments are insightful – and I do not fall within those parameters. We would not always agree, but that is what would make the conversations good.

I think we might, yes. As for disagreements, that's what interaction is all about. If we agreed completely, we could just sit in silence...not much good on the internet, that. ;)

Angryhatter
10-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Today, I will be selling off all my goods, filling my coffers, and making my character an easy target for all, and then removing the application from my facebook account within the few days. If I am in your army – you should probably remove me. I will not be sending or receiving any more gifts from this application. In a month or so I may even remove any of you in my “Friends List” that I haven’t had further contact with.
I have strong convictions about my marriage and protect the trust my wife has in me voraciously. She is my best friend and accountability partner. I have an agreement with her about my computer usage and online activities. I also have an agreement with God and myself to live out Scripture as closely as I can. Yesterday my wife saw one of the graphics for the characters in the game and it caused her concern. I do not purchase games with certain body images for women because of my addictive nature, past behavior patterns, and my young daughter. When she saw such an image on the computer screen it caused her to ask a question. I didn’t think anything of it at first, but as I prayed about it and was able to mentally go through all the images of the female characters in the game I realized the there had been a shift. Fanciful characters with traits like blue skin and hair where being replaced with those of a more Anglo or Caucasian decent, with large busts and very scantily clad. This is too close to the line that I have agreed not to cross.
Some may think this is silly or close minded – that’s ok. Like I said, it’s a an agreement I made with God, my wife, and myself. 1Thessalonians 5:22 tells me to “Abstain from the appearance of evil”. Therefore, to avoid even looking like I’m doing something I’ve agreed not to do – I’m removing myself from Castle Age.

How do people like you manage to get by in the real world interacting with people who are still sane?

Everything Zen
10-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Moral of all this, bikinis are bad.

CORaven
10-07-2009, 12:45 PM
lol to this entire thread. If a person cannot contain themselves after looking at an image if a female with big pointy ears then there is something seriously wrong with that person. Why don't we just cover everybody head to toe in black robes so we'll never ever be seduced by the devil?!

Works in Islam.

The Lord of the Files
10-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Works in Islam.

Sure, if you're male. ;)

sfgiantsfanmike
10-07-2009, 01:09 PM
WOW – Pandora would be proud of what it appears I have done!...

I understand your stand. I, too, have similar convictions about these things. I'm not to the point of giving up Castle Age but would like to see better pictures of the ladies. Not all women, in fact most women, are not built like Keira or either Celesta and it would be nice if more place actually had closer depictions of what real women look like.

Not saying the pictures are evil, ect, but if they could cause you to stumble then I agree with your move. Right now I don't have a wife to think about in my decisions so right now I'm not at that same point you are. If I had a wife or even a finance... well, I don't at the moment so I'm not going to worry about what tomorrow may bring.

Anyway, thanks for sharing even though it did cause a bit of a whirlwind of positing in response. Lord bless thee and keep thee.

PawisBetlog
10-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Congratulations on this current step down the long depressing road of being wrapped around your wife's little finger.

If you someday grow a pair and realize your life is yours, we'll welcome you back (but with some ribbing of course).

Jehann
10-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Third, if you wish for your children to understand and live diversity and learn from it, then you should make sure that they experience it.

Which I do. I also advocate on behalf of more diversity in our society, which is why I feel the need to comment about the characterizations of the heroes in this game.

Frankly, I find it a bit amusing that the main defense of the artwork (besides "it's hot!") is that the game is based on Celtic/European mythology. Mythic warriors battling evil are somehow restricted to Celtic archetypes all of a sudden? How do you explain the presence of dragons, then, which are Chinese in origin?

The truth of the matter is that this game bears as much resemblance to primary European mythology as Santa Clause does to the legend of St. Nicklaus. How, exactly, would the game be harmed by adding some diversity to the characters?

The Lord of the Files
10-07-2009, 02:54 PM
...How do you explain the presence of dragons, then, which are Chinese in origin...

No disagreement with the rest of your post, but this isn't really an accurate statement.

Chinese dragons and European dragons have a different root mythology.

Europeans got them from the ancient Greeks, and they were an outgrowth of the mating between gods and man, and were almost exclusively evil.

The Chinese dragon was originally the equivalent of a chimera, with body parts from many different animals, and were benevolent.

They weren't both lumped in as "dragons" until long after their myths had solidifed within their respective cultures.

Jehann
10-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Chinese dragons and European dragons have a different root mythology.

See, hangin' around on the internet you learn something new every day!:cool:

Ragnar
10-07-2009, 03:21 PM
... is that the game is based on Celtic/European mythology. Mythic warriors battling evil are somehow restricted to Celtic archetypes all of a sudden? How do you explain the presence of dragons, then, which are Chinese in origin?

The truth of the matter is that this game bears as much resemblance to primary European mythology as Santa Clause does to the legend of St. Nicklaus. How, exactly, would the game be harmed by adding some diversity to the characters?

What he said about dragons :)

That wasn't supposed to be a "defense", per se. I was just pointing out that (in popular Western culture) mythic warriors battling evil *is* currently restricted mostly to Celtic archetypes. You're right, they're really bastardized, but they're still drawing the bastardization source material from Celtic archetypes.

This isn't to say that culturally speaking we shouldn't encourage fantasy writers/creators/whathaveyou from using non-Celtic archetypes. This topic has come up on multiple threads however, and the basic complaint is, "Everybody's white!" (not, you'll note, "Where is Atonga? Where is Gilgamesh? Why isn't the Sudarshana Chakra a drop?") and the basic corrective action is, "Paint somebody brown/black/yellow!" (not, you'll note, "Branch out and learn about other mythological heroes!")

So generally, the overall tone of the complaints makes me say, "Megh, they have a glimmer of a point buried in there somewhere, but if they don't care enough to actually learn about other mythological heroes, why are they complaining that the ones here are based on Celtic archetypes?"

Plus, it seems odd to single out a goofball privately maintained game (where the artwork is not a priority) for criticism, particularly if you're not offering any real solution.

Now, if someone came on the thread and said, "Hey, I came up with a new monster drop, and a new hero, and some cool items that are based on Vietnamese hero stories, here's a tarball with some art and specs, why don't you include that in the game"... that would be something contributory :)

Rhiannon Agrona
10-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Actually, there's a lot more to understand here and not to judge. Seems to me, that ppl don't understand or approve a reason based on a persons morality level and that, my friends, is personal for everyone. We can't judge someone by their decisions to quit the game or others can't judge us, who still play the game.

I think it's crucial to at least try to understand, that when there is talk about evil, it's not in the sense "half-naked women are evil", but in the sense that if You notice something having a bad influence on Your morals, then it might be "evil" on some level and You might wanna consider freeing Yourself from that kinds of feelings.

More importantly, ppl should understand, we are all different. More sensitive, more happy, more worried, more thoughtful, whatever. That's something we have to try to accept, even though we don't always understand. Some things that are rightful for another, might be very disturbing for someone. A very simple example is hunters, they live according to nature, hunt their food and the animals won't have to suffer in small cages all their life. At the same time they keep up the nature's balance, that ppl have already rocked. Whereas someone else thinks the only "humaine" meat is something from a big barn or some other thinks You'll have to survive with green grass only to be humaine.

I wish those of us, who bothered to use time to read and answer, would also find time to do something that changes the world to a better place. Only chit-chatting here and arguing for nothing, is a waste of time. Go out, act nicely, help ppl, be polite, protect children, elderly ppl and the weak and change the world. Be happy, don't pick on others and:

Don't say what You're thinking about. Instead, think what You're about to say!

Jehann
10-07-2009, 03:46 PM
What he said about dragons :)
Now, if someone came on the thread and said, "Hey, I came up with a new monster drop, and a new hero, and some cool items that are based on Vietnamese hero stories, here's a tarball with some art and specs, why don't you include that in the game"... that would be something contributory :)

Well, I'd love to do that, if I had any artistic talent whatsoever. ;)

I don't think it's unproductive to request the artists (and I'm not one, not by a long shot) to at least consider mining some other cultures for heroes. Why, for example, couldn't Dragan be a fierce Maori warrior, with the requisite weapons? The "Seven Blades of Sano" screams out for a Samauri character, don't you think? Why, not have a blue general modeled after Krishna? Or an elephant headed demon? Anansi the spider? There are rich Native American traditions that could easily be pulled into the game as well.

All it takes is a little imagination.

Lacuna
10-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Which I do. I also advocate on behalf of more diversity in our society, which is why I feel the need to comment about the characterizations of the heroes in this game.

Frankly, I find it a bit amusing that the main defense of the artwork (besides "it's hot!") is that the game is based on Celtic/European mythology. Mythic warriors battling evil are somehow restricted to Celtic archetypes all of a sudden? How do you explain the presence of dragons, then, which are Chinese in origin?

My argument is not primarily trying to defend the artwork. From the cultural background...I don't care, cause to me it's just a typical fantasy game with a lot of elves and the whole medival setting and comic style drawings. As I said before, half of the characters look elvish and elves usually are pale. I don't associate that with any culture existing in reality.
I'm a girl and I don't have any issues with my looks, so I don't care about the female characters being to sexy and oddly proportioned. I have a laugh about it and that's it. I wouldn't waste my time with a guy that thinks all girls should look like that and fortunately most guys don't think that.
I would not mind or complain about heros from a different than the more western culture for those heroes that are human to be included in the game and be portrayed. The game would not be better or worse in that case. I just don't feel like the way it is now is wrong or does discriminate other cultures. It's perfectly acceptable because of the context it comes from.

What I'm complaining about is people screaming "What? They are all white! That's not right! We need pictures of Asian/black/Latin ect. heros in there! Otherwise it's unfair!" And they do so without thinking about that this game is most likely based on a mythology that comes from a "white" culture.

And on a sidenote: If this was a ninja game, do you think there would be anybody complaining about the heroes being all Asian? I guess not...
So why are people complaining here again?

Jehann
10-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Pointing out that the illustrations are all white, and don't reflect the diversity of cultures that could be mined for the game is hardly "screaming." There are non-western and non-white players here. A simple suggestion to the developers to consider expanding the horizons of the artwork is just that - a suggestion.

Lacuna
10-07-2009, 04:09 PM
C'mon please allow me to exaggerate a little....and not all of them are politely pointing out.

I know that not everybody playing this game is from the same culture. I'm just saying that the game is all right and fun and enjoyable without representing a diverse spread of the world population. And I think that it shouldn't be more enjoyable because of the looks and cultures of the heroes, but some people make it sound like it is and that bothers me.
It would be more interesting with more diverse heroes/villains/creatures with unique abilities from more cultures. And maybe add a little info about the characters and where they come from.
Yes, it is ridiculous that a character with the rather Asian name of Shino doesn't look all that Asian. But I think this game really is diverse....not in terms of cultures of course... But we have humans/demons/elves/ ect.

DinGa
10-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Congratulations on this current step down the long depressing road of being wrapped around your wife's little finger.

If you someday grow a pair and realize your life is yours, we'll welcome you back (but with some ribbing of course).

hahahahahahahaha

Lori
10-07-2009, 05:49 PM
How big do breasts have to be, in order for them to then be evil?

I'm concerned for myself, what if I'm seen in my bathing suit...will I cause irreparable damage to someone? Are only small breasted women in snow suits good?

Women are NOT evil because of the way they look. This line of thought has been the cause of many deaths...that is evil.

DinGa
10-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Evil is a word everybody is scared witless of, much like the word racist. They do anything they can to avoid being called evil even if what they have to do is completely and utterly ridiculous (like quitting a time filling game application on a social networking site). It gets banded about so much by people who use it to scare people into their way of thinking, much like certain members of all organised religion.

avacado333
10-07-2009, 08:02 PM
hahahahahahahaha

Totally.:confused:

Smexasaurus
10-07-2009, 08:50 PM
This is prob the most interesting thread I've seen in this forum. :) I have read through al of the post, and I'm actually aghast at the mindset of some people o_O. I'm just going to lay down my opinion and let me just put a disclaimer that nothing i say is meant to be personal. its just a summation of the feeling i get after reading what everyone said. sorry for the wall of text ahead :p

__________________________________________________ _______________
On cultural diversity

Firstly, on the fact that most characters are of "anglo descent". A game has to know what its trying to get to. Things like fairies and knights belong to one genre, and things like samurai and ninjas belong to quite another. it would be an epic failure if the next epic monster summon is Snow Black and the seven chinese looking dwarfs. It just doesn't fit. Fact is that this is CASTLE AGE in case anyone failed to notice, with an medieval-like era setting the backbone of the game. It aims at a niche of culture, and is right to do so. Globalisation DID NOT HAPPEN in that time, and trying to incorporate elements to attain "diversity" is just a lame joke.

This reminded me that some1 claimed to preach diversity to the children, and yet the only example she cited about dragons is horribly wrong. Dragons are symbol of luck and prosperity in the east, and talks about slaying dragon would simply be crazy talk. The ones that we are slaying, are the fat lizards that the medieval knights love to (claim to) slay. They are more often refered to as wyrms in older texts, and are definitely not part of an asian influence. google some pictures on dragons to see how different the two types of dragons look. Trying to add in half baked elements of cultural diversity would surely end in disaster. for e.g., if you had made the dragon we are slaying "more chinese looking" for the sake of racial diversity, you would actually end up offending a lot of chinese instead.

As it is, Castle Age knows its target mythology, and its target audience, and there is sufficient diversity as it is already without the impression of trying too hard. If you think this cultural influence is limited and lacking, you should try to find other games to balance it out yourself. What many are asking for is rather akin to asking for Chinese food in an Italian restaurant.... it just doesn't fit. Fettucini in black bean sauce = epic fail.
On realism of game characters

Secondly, asking for realism in a fantasy game is like asking a goat to lay golden eggs. I understand the concept of credible character designs, but not everything has to make sense. For all you know Celesta has a magic armor that can repel physical attack, and exposure of more skin gets her closer to nature where she draws her power from (yada yada insert more silly geeky fantasy crap). If you are asking for realism, then we would end up with a very boring looking game. i mean, how realistic is an army of 501 fiery phoenix? wat happens when it rains???? If you worry about things like this, go play "office relations age" or something. pretty sure someone wd make agame like that soon =_="""""""

The angle that we should approach this matter is one of decency. That whether the design of the character is selling too much flesh. I do agree that the amount of cloth the females are given is on a downhill slide. In fact, it is also inversely proportional to the size of their bosom... But as of now its definitely not ****ography (O_______O)

On lewd imagery leading to men cheating

Thirdly, someone mentioned that lewd images invokes the imagination of men, leading on a downward spiral of ****o addiction, which in turn leaves them with a sexual appetite that cannot be controlled and therefore leads to the guy cheating on his partner.

I think that is a possible scenario, but to surmise that the cause of everything is because of the lewd images would simply be a fallacy. the given argument is simply a slippery slope argument of the worst possible situation.

it is akin to saying: fertilising land leads to increased productivity of the land. This increase crop yields of Malt. Malt is the main ingredient needed to make beer. beer is a source of addiction of alcoholics. Therefore fertilising land is bad because it leads to an increment of alcoholics.

Is the argument possible? yes. but does it make sense? NO!

sexual stimulation is ever present, no matter how restricted you are. someone sucking on a lolipop or licking an ice cream cone while fully clothed can give as much of a stimulation as hardcore ****. In fact, repeated exposure to sexual stimulus innundates you making you less vulnerable to that stimulation. If you hide in a hole and try to avoid all female forms, pretty soon a couple of oversized oranges can make you tinking of cleavage. Men have sexual urges and needs, and it is these needs that makes us stimulated from the imagery. Address the cause, not just the symptoms

Sexual content simply raises a guy's appetite for sex. It is largely dependent on how you act on it that matters. I could watch **** and decide its time for some fiery passion with my wife, or I could sit infront of the castle age page, ogle at the tiny image of an elf in bikini (roflmao) and think its high time i should cheat on her.

Does it not happen to you to realise its not the media exposure, but the content of your character that matters here?

I've had two long distance relationships in the past, and I've always had a fair share of female attention (hope this doesn't sound like a brag, its not meant to be one). Long distance relationships are about as trying on the cheat-o-meter as you can get, and i am proud to say that i actually withstood the temptation (ya, its worthed it). And strangely enough, **** actually helped me to NOT cheat, instead of the other way round.

I think its all a matter of moral fibre and self control. Human makes mistakes, and its comforting to find a blame because it makes you feel better. But finding a scapegoat simply means you aint man enough to own up to you own mistakes and take control. do not blame the media, blame your own lack of integrity.

On religious perspective of good and evil

I will try to take on a logical view on religion, and attempt to maintain religious bashing to a minimum since I am an atheist. I'm actually an atheist trying to find God, but the irony is that the more I read up on religions the less I believe in a divine being :(

I am assuming that there is only one or two (is two blasphemy to some ppl? sry if i offend) at the end of the day. There is no telling which is the true one, if there's one at all, but it definitely means that most religions are false since so many contradicts each other. So pls keep an open mind, and think about what i'm about to say with reference to the religions you DO NOT believe in. people gets defensive and will not listen to reason when they are being attacked =p

There seems to be a common ground that religions teaches people to be good. This is by and large a good thing so long as no injustice is suffered in the process.

Any successful religion requires a few things :1) to preach ppl to do good, 2) coincide and even aid certain political party at the time of founding (crusades, jihad etc), and 3) a means to encourage spread of the religion, often for the purpose of a greater good. any major religions we see today definitely contains these three elements at some point of their history.
preaching to be good is of utmost importance since it helps maintains law and order within the country and people. Thats why religions cannot preach wrong doings if it wanna last... because the ruling government shuts them down.

So if you are part of a religion that is not true at the end of the day (sucks to be you, but it has to be someone right? all the religions in the world can't be right), uninspired by a divine being, and yet needs to spread the word of good, what do you do? you conform to the concurrent paradigm on whats good and evil, and establish that followers do good based on this principle. Logical, and well meaning.
Problem is, these well meaning but misguided religions persist through time, and there's something called paradigm shift. As people progresses, they learn more both culturally and scientifically. Now we understand that there's something called evolution... that Homosexuality has links to genetics and therefore natural... that polygamy is bad because women has rights too.....
The religions not guided by a divine being, has no means to read ahead of time and access such powerful knowledge. Therefore what was good a few hundred or even a few thousand years ago maybe good during that time, but not now.
yet ppl in those religions still maintains that the religion is the truth, and try to use their holy scriptures and adapt to the modern time. But gaps remains, what with discouraging the use of contraceptives, ban on gay marriages etc. recently there's even a suspension of a school band from performance because their T shirts supposedly encourages evolution. ridiculous stuff.

therefore in trying to preach and do good, the false religions causes more harm than good. Now take a VERY bold step back, and hypothesise, assuming if you religion happens to be a false one, how many ppl you are oppressing simply because you base all ur actions on some outdated ancient text?

thats painful.

YouReallySuck
Looks like a lot of people got baited by a troll.

Smexasaurus
Religions in schools

Teaching religion in schools is a good thing, since it opens the child's mind and expose him/her to a myriad of doctrines and provide an informed choice.

The problem though, is that it is impossible ot be unbiased in the teaching. For eg. who is the best person to teach abt christianity? prob a pastor or a priest. I wouldn't trust just any teacher to teach a correct and educated doctrine of a religion unless they are deeply involved in it. but anyone who decides to devote their life to the religion is most probably going to try convince the students that their way is the truth. The only empirical and unbiased way to do this then, is to expose the student to a myriad of different religious figures, being taught by monks, rabbis, priests, pastors, lamas etc etc (and even athetists maybe). But thing is, this is simply impossible since they student will not have enough time for core curriculums such as maths science language and history.

so any indoctrination of religion either implies a biased propagation of one or two major religion, or is reliant on someone who doesn't know enough of everything and yet try to teach it. In fact, that said someone will prob have his own views anyway and would therefore still be biased.

The only way religious education in school makes sense is that: parents understanding that learning about a religion in school is to be perceived as a coercion to belong to that religious group. The students are then provided a choice as to either learn abt that religion, or take up another non-religious subject. (Thats why the model in Germany mentioned in the thread makes so much sense :D)

Jimk
10-07-2009, 10:26 PM
I will now explode my belt bomb because I find your western culture evil.
Rational thought has no place in this discussion!!

Archon JR
10-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Smexasarus just wanted to tell you that I thought your post was very well thought out and I believe very rational. I am impressed how well you were able to put forth you views. I also have to say I agree with you almost 100%.
I hope that rational thought will always prevail over uncontrollable emotions and believes. We all have to try to keep an open mind to the possibilities that just because we believe something that it might not be true or that it might not be what another believes. We can all live side by side by just accepting that there is not just one path we all have to follow. Live your life as you see fit and let others live theirs, as long as they are causing no one else harm, what does it matter what they believe. Take responsibility for your own actions and don’t blame others for what you have done. If you are swayed by another’s point of view or life style it’s not their fault, it just means that you truly did not believe what you said you believed. Change is not a bad thing, so stop being afraid of it. That’s just my point of view, hope it makes some sense to someone else, and if it does not.... that’s ok too. ;)

Genevieve
10-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Thank you Smex for saying what I wanted but didn't bother as being female I was only going to be shot down - you don't understand men blah blah... oh but I DO! And by the way, women need stimulus too; a whole new thread there! A few nuns posting on this thread that men are this and that, very generalised! A castle age image is to a **** addict the same as a glass of wine to an alcoholic. Its down to the individual.

Telling someone they can't look at sexy images, for example your husband or your son will ensure they will go behind your back having been made to feel dirty and guilty for what is only natural.

Talking about different faiths is pointless because those who have faith... have faith! I gave up on that one a long time ago. But as to why the OP mentioned his faith I don't understnad as that is really not our business. I think the word evil should be banned worldwide. Both sides of the war think the other is evil so we must all be evil. Its just a trigger word.

And now I think a child must have asked another question because my head is also about to explode!

The Lord of the Files
10-08-2009, 12:03 AM
...i mean, how realistic is an army of 501 fiery phoenix? wat happens when it rains???? If you worry about things like this, go play "office relations age" or something.

ROFLMFAO! That's the funniest thing that's been said in here all day!

Smex,

Please forgive me for snipping all your actual content out and just getting a laugh. I've already expended about as much intellectual juice on this thread as I can bear. That said, I did read your whole post; You make some good points, a few of which hadn't yet been made at one point or another in the thread, either obliquely or explicitly. You and I agree on a lot.

One thing that kills me though...you went to all that effort to be coherent and thoughtful, laid it all out so nicely...and then you used "ppl" over and over...

I was in tears of laughter by then end, my friend.

The Lord of the Files
10-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Thank you Smex for saying what I wanted but didn't bother as being female I was only going to be shot down - you don't understand men blah blah...

There was a bit much of that earlier, wasn't there? We'll we wouldn't have all shot you down.

You have to remember, all men already know that there are no women on the internet anyway; It simply wouldn't even have occurred to us to claim you couldn't understand men. :D

Smexasaurus
10-08-2009, 05:59 AM
awww thanks guys feel the love :)

just saying what i had in my mind... and i know how much typo and grammatical errors i make, so if i dun partition the wall of txt everyone here wd rather quit castle age than read my post :D

Cheryl
10-08-2009, 07:32 AM
This message is to the guy who started this thread and to his ball and chain.

Firstly there was no real need for you to write this post. You could've just written a private message to the people in your army and left, but nooo you had to post in the forum and make a big deal and bring god into the equation.

shame on you. i bet god has more important things on his/her hands than to deal with such a trivial thing.

everyone is different deal with it. everyone likes different things, deal with it. hell it be oh so boring if we were all the same. obviously the developers made the game the way it is cause it is mostly due to the fact that this is how they evisaged it and we shouldnt be critical about it.

As my dad would say...." either **** or get off the pot " you dont have to stay and play and quite frankly to let your wife dictate to you what you can and cant do is ridiculous.

grow some common sense would the both of, geez.....you make it sound like everyone is evil and you two are perfect because you give up something that is trivial in the biiger scheme of things and bring god into something when god doesnt need to be.

grow up

Darren
10-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Come on... over 100 replies. This is an awesome thread. Better than someone asking how to summona a dragon etc that has been asked/ answered countless times or a moan about someone only hitting a Keira once. It is a General Discussion board after all.

Ragnar
10-08-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't think it's unproductive to request the artists (and I'm not one, not by a long shot) to at least consider mining some other cultures for heroes.

Sure, I don't see that as a bad thing either. I hope nobody got an impression otherwise :) Mining other cultures for heroes is a great idea.

I just haven't seen anybody actually *ask* for that yet. Like I said, the "ZOMG everyone's white!" people just ask for Asian, African, or Eurasian body styles. As if painting Celesta brown is somehow a cultural good, in and of itself, because of the color change.

"I want to see brown people" isn't a substantive critique; in fact, it trivializes the problem you think you're trying to solve (disparate cultural identities). Solve the actual problem, instead of changing cosmetics.

Put another way... don't those commercials that just show a black woman, an Asian man, an elderly white-haired Caucasian, and a pair of Arabic children... irritate you? As if the totality of the cultural mix of the world can be boiled down into a set of (all still beautiful, of course, we'll ignore the fact that many people are unattractive) smiling people all endorsing some stupid product?

If they changed half of the characters to be something other than white, a great many of the people who are currently complaining would stop complaining. Isn't that... just utterly lame?

The Lord of the Files
10-08-2009, 03:26 PM
If they changed half of the characters to be something other than white, a great many of the people who are currently complaining would stop complaining. Isn't that... just utterly lame?

C'mon Ragnar, you know that band-aid solutions are the meat and potatoes of the post-gold-master development cycle.

We don't call them "patches" for nothing.

;)

Jehann
10-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Put another way... don't those commercials that just show a black woman, an Asian man, an elderly white-haired Caucasian, and a pair of Arabic children... irritate you?

Yes, but not as much as commercials (or movies, tv, etc) that show only Caucasians in what should be a diverse setting. Like a high school, or walking down the streets of NYC. :rolleyes:

I agree with you they shouldn't just paint a few characters brown and be down with it. But consider this a gentle request that the devs look into some other cultures for legendary warriors. :)

Ragnar
10-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Globalisation DID NOT HAPPEN in that time, and trying to incorporate elements to attain "diversity" is just a lame joke.

Hm; are we a medieval game, or a feudal game? Most people would peg feudal games as existing about in the time frame of 800-1400 AD on the outside, with 1000-1215 AD as the time of "real" feudalism (William the Conqueror making a good bookend on one end, and the Magna Carta signaling the beginning of the end on the other).

Right in there we've got The Crusades. And whatever else one might say about the Crusades, they were all about bringing back eastern loot. We've got big bad Genghis Khan. In 1279, the Mongol Empire (living on past Mr. K) extended all the way into Poland and Hungary thanks to Ögedei.

So, uh, yeah. Globalization *did* happen at that time, bit time. Saying that it didn't is silly; there were certainly Asians and Arabs and Africans and Hindus and Jews engaged in trade with "the West" in that period. You might not have seen very many in the small village where you grew up, but in all the major trade centers (i.e., where I'd be building *my* castle if I actually were my character) they'd be remarkable but not unheard of.

There's no reason why you couldn't have emissaries from the East, religious figures calling for crusades against neighboring empires, etc., in this game.

But you would actually have pretty good storytelling skills to make it fit without it just being a bolt-on that everyone would laugh at, "OMG they added ninjas?!?"

Jehann
10-08-2009, 06:23 PM
I think trying to make a fantasy game "realistic" with respect to feudal Europe is a bit silly, anyway. As it is, not all of the characters have European derived names. ("Shino", "Sano" and "Riku"??) And then there are the "elves" with pointed ears and purple hair!

Any resemblance the game has to an European and/or Celtic mythos is due more to the high fantasy genre that appeared in the 60s thanks to Tolkien, than to any effort to remain "true" to one particular culture or archetype.

Of course, Ninjas would be out of place, both thematically and in terms of technology. But other types of characters could be easily incorporated without changing the nature of the game, or feeling "forced in." Lilith and Riku still have vaguely Asian features. Why not Sano or Shino, as well? Why couldn't Cid be modeled after a Moor?

etkunkle
10-08-2009, 08:01 PM
OH MY ****** GOD!!!!!

this is so retarded

hey how about people stop putting in there two cents on this absolutely ridiculous subject and answer peoples questions on other threads

i mean seriously......

120 posts.....

is it really that big a deal

free country...... boobs and skin...... you dont like it your a quier.......end of story

Kup
10-08-2009, 09:03 PM
I wasn't sure what happened when the art changed, It seems like it was the same time I left the first region for the second area. I thought that perhaps the art changes as you progress through the game, to explain the passage of time.

I liked the old art, and kind of miss it, but then I have only seen it for the first few generals.

Ragnar
10-08-2009, 09:09 PM
this is so retarded

What are you, 12?

hey how about people stop putting in there two cents on this absolutely ridiculous subject and answer peoples questions on other threads

So... many... self-referential jokes! HELP ME!

etkunkle
10-08-2009, 09:30 PM
actually i'm 10 thank you very much

Mega-Douche
10-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I agree. I too am leaving this game once and for all. This is smut plain and simple.

Ragnar
10-08-2009, 09:40 PM
actually i'm 10 thank you very much

That's no excuse for poor punctuation skills.

Edit : removed swearing

Ah, the undying contempt of today's youth. I confess, you wound me. My self-esteem is shattered. The cloud of disillusionment has been removed from my eyes by your pithy commentary. Truly, I am a worm, of no account! My intellect is small, and my constitution weak! My linguistic skills lack depth, and my imagination is that of a small woodland creature with a head injury!

Off I dash, to throw myself bodily off the cliffs and smash my worthless self against the rocks of the valley floor below! Adieu, all! May you find your internet trolling no longer impeded by my odious presence!

Jehann
10-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Off I dash, to throw myself bodily off the cliffs and smash my worthless self against the rocks of the valley floor below! Adieu, all! May you find your internet trolling no longer impeded by my odious presence!

Alas, poor Ragnar. I knew him well.

Smexasaurus
10-08-2009, 10:07 PM
nooooooooooooooooooo *quits castle age in emo-ness*

Darren
10-08-2009, 10:15 PM

like.... what do I do with all this money ? ... yawn
How do I summon a dragon ? .... yawn

Questions written by people too lazy to figure the game out themselves or too lazy to read the help section or search for their answer in another thread. This one is way more interesting. It got your interest.

Everything Zen
10-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Shino looks black or does that not count for some reason? And what about Vanquish? Looks like a black chick with blonde hair to me.

Smexasaurus
10-09-2009, 01:08 AM
nah.... anything less than Dante isn't black :p

I agree with Darren... most of the threads in the forum comprises nice ppl answering the same questions over and over again....

this is like the only active thread that stimulates brain cells :cool:

The Lord of the Files
10-09-2009, 01:20 AM
...I agree with Darren... most of the threads in the forum comprises nice ppl answering the same questions over and over again....

this is like the only active thread that stimulates brain cells...

Some of the suggestion threads are decent, but they die out fast if you try to get people to actually think about the ramifications of what they are asking for. Very few people consider the way that the change they are asking for would fit in with the existing system, or how it might impact the developers in terms of a basic cost/benefit approach. They want more powerful characters, rather than a more compelling game. Most of it turns out to be:

"Hey, can I plz have more faver pnts and a free pony and a flamethrowur cuz I'm like entitled and stuff since I play this free game an all I think the devs should totally cater to my every whim even if it means they have to werk overtime for free and buy ten nu servers to calculate the damage dun by all the new stuff I want and stuff okay thanks l8rz. oh and p.s. ur ideas are dum cuz i don't get it."

And no, I swear I'm not bitter about it, or anything like that.

HouseNdaHouse
10-09-2009, 01:25 AM
This thread turned from...

"Cya guys...gotta go cuz my wife thinks I'm in love with the Castle Age art. The bottle of lotion and box of tissue next to the computer didn't help my argument...anyways...g2g cyaz."

Then someone turned it into...

"WTF religion is blah blah blah blah..."

Then someone turned it into...

"We need black people and latino people and asian people in fantasy games cuz this stuff is racist..."

Let me tell y'all the cardinal rule of posting:

1. Never discuss religion... ever... no one wins.
2. Never discuss racial prejudice...no one wins.
3. Never discuss politics... no one wins.

PPL posting here are already disobeying 2 out of 3 of the things they should NEVER POST ABOUT. This is what your argument looks like...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/wfg-dude/thatsgonnahurt.jpg

The Lord of the Files
10-09-2009, 01:34 AM
1. Never discuss religion... ever... no one wins.
2. Never discuss racial prejudice...no one wins.
3. Never discuss politics... no one wins.

Or, you could say that everyone who got a laugh or a moment of reflective thought from this thread got more out of it than they would have if we had all just said:

"Okay dude, have a nice life, sorry you won't be playing anymore."

Frankly, your "rules" are just boring, no offense intended.

HouseNdaHouse
10-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Or, you could say that everyone who got a laugh or a moment of reflective thought from this thread got more out of it than they would have if we had all just said:

"Okay dude, have a nice life, sorry you won't be playing anymore."

Frankly, your "rules" are just boring, no offense intended.

Finally the truth is out!! You weren't saying goodbye! Otherwise "goodbye" "cya" would be good enough to you and then you are officially buh bye.

You just wanted to STIR THINGS UP with a spammy post! Well done... however, next time just admit you wanna stir things up and spam away! Don't veil your attempts at "mental stimulation" as a heartfelt goodbye.

P.S. if your wife is truly upset with your computer addiction (doubt you are even married BTW)... I found a girl for you:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/wfg-dude/normal_3_1224286288_5465193.jpg

The Lord of the Files
10-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Finally the truth is out!! You weren't saying goodbye! Otherwise "goodbye" "cya" would be good enough to you and then you are officially buh bye.

Um....yeeeeeaaaah.

Did you READ any of this thread? I'm not the OP.

HouseNdaHouse
10-09-2009, 01:48 AM
Um....yeeeeeaaaah.

Did you READ any of this thread? I'm not the OP.

You got me... I just saw your name 5,000 times and confused you with the OP. You just like spamming and hearing yourself (so to speak) talk/type.

That's ok... we need ppl like you to keep dumbass posts like this at the top of the forum.. Spam away my friend.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/wfg-dude/lol.jpg

The Lord of the Files
10-09-2009, 01:51 AM
...P.S. if your wife is truly upset with your computer addiction (doubt you are even married BTW)...

And, since my wife isn't here to defend herself, I'll say this:

She's an anthropologist, an agnostic, and thinks **** is amusing and stupid.

The Lord of the Files
10-09-2009, 01:54 AM
You got me... I just saw your name 5,000 times and confused you with the OP. You just like spamming and hearing yourself (so to speak) talk/type.

That's ok... we need ppl like you to keep dumbass posts like this at the top of the forum.. Spam away my friend.

Once again, anon delivers. I had no idea that they let you out of /b/ already. What was it, time off for good behavior?

;)

javaguru
10-09-2009, 02:02 AM
And, since my wife isn't here to defend herself, I'll say this:

She's an anthropologist, an agnostic, and thinks **** is amusing and stupid.

Tell your wife to take a position, either you believe in Santa Clause or you don't. :)

The Lord of the Files
10-09-2009, 02:06 AM
That's science for you...until there's conclusive evidence for santa or against him, it doesn't really matter what you believe, so why bother wasting all that energy forming an opinion?

:)

danelee34
10-09-2009, 03:15 AM
Dumbest thread ever. Time for ****.

Smexasaurus
10-09-2009, 04:52 AM
Santa Claus is a product of commercialism... He used to be dressed in either of red, blue or green, but coca cola made sure that only red represents santa now.
The government should have done more to interfere with a MNC driven cultural erosion....

*taps fingers and wait for politics discussion now:cool:*

Bill
10-09-2009, 09:22 AM
These naked dragons are hurting my feelings ... and ... they look too caucasian, especially those ancient red ones!:p;)

(Ever thought the thread starter has posted this as a joke?)

Mega-Douche
10-09-2009, 09:33 AM
These naked dragons are hurting my feelings ... and ... they look too caucasian, especially those ancient red ones!:p;)

(Ever thought the thread starter has posted this as a joke?)

You, kind sir, are full of bologna and so are your theories. I challenge you to a duel. Meet me on CastleAge. Once I best you two out of three I shall never sign on... ever... again.

The Lord of the Files
10-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Santa Claus is a product of commercialism... He used to be dressed in either of red, blue or green, but coca cola made sure that only red represents santa now.
The government should have done more to interfere with a MNC driven cultural erosion....

*taps fingers and wait for politics discussion now:cool:*

Count me out on that one; I'm a federal employee. We don't talk about politics. ;)

Mega-Douche
10-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Count me out on that one; I'm a federal employee. We don't talk about politics. ;)

So you're a mail man? Military? Men in black?

Caitir Eavan
10-09-2009, 03:00 PM
...or he could just be a guinea pig... ever watched G-Force?

(btw. you need to allow people to leave you comments if you want visitor messages answered... lucky I got your facebook ID and could write something on your game comment wall)

Tyler Long
10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't care about politics.

The Lord of the Files
10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
So you're a mail man? Military? Men in black?

Military, and therefore also a guinea pig.

Kim Bradshaw
10-09-2009, 06:56 PM
On the original topic of this thread... I have just launched my Kiera battle... and oh my goodness... she's a freak. Each individual thigh is bigger than her torso and twice as wide as her waist. One of my army members and I have decided that the reason her bosoms are globular and go east and west (or north and south) is because they are the result of helium implants.

She should pretty much end the worry about inappropriate female images. She is so far from a female image that she's funny as heck.

Now I just wish we had a "sneak femoral artery" attack option. She'd be down in one.

chupacabra
10-09-2009, 06:59 PM
On the original topic of this thread... I have just launched my Kiera battle... and oh my goodness... she's a freak. Each individual thigh is bigger than her torso and twice as wide as her waist. One of my army members and I have decided that the reason her bosoms are globular and go east and west (or north and south) is because they are the result of helium implants.

She should pretty much end the worry about inappropriate female images. She is so far from a female image that she's funny as heck.

Now I just wish we had a "sneak femoral artery" attack option. She'd be down in one.

pure. awesome.

The Lord of the Files
10-09-2009, 07:01 PM

I know what you mean...I'm still waiting for the devs to fix the
"SLAY THE ANCIENT RED DRAGON" button. It still doesn't work!

;)

Mega-Douche
10-10-2009, 02:07 AM

Hahahaha, sucks for you. What branch? What MOS? Don't tell me you're a truck driver or an x-ray technician.

The Lord of the Files
10-10-2009, 02:21 AM
Hahahaha, sucks for you. What branch? What MOS? Don't tell me you're a truck driver or an x-ray technician.

Bah, no way; The truck drivers keep getting blown into meaty chunks by IED's, and the x-ray techs end up with aggressive multi-organ cancers.

You couldn't pay me enough to do either one.

Army, 25F, Network Switching Systems; We just get targeted by insurgents constantly because we're not any where near as heavily armed as Infantry units, and without our gear the battle planners, the supply chain, the air cover, and the artillery support can't talk to each other.

It's not as rambo-sexy as the gunbunnies who roll around in APC's with automatic grenade launchers and anti-tank rockets, but it's a living.

Great job security, as long as you don't get shot in the face, or bleed out in some back alley or lonely mountain pass. Beats freelance graphic design, that's for sure.

Mega-Douche
10-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Bah, no way; The truck drivers keep getting blown into meaty chunks by IED's, and the x-ray techs end up with aggressive multi-organ cancers.

You couldn't pay me enough to do either one.

Army, 25F, Network Switching Systems; We just get targeted by insurgents constantly because we're not any where near as heavily armed as Infantry units, and without our gear the battle planners, the supply chain, the air cover, and the artillery support can't talk to each other.

It's not as rambo-sexy as the gunbunnies who roll around in APC's with automatic grenade launchers and anti-tank rockets, but it's a living.

Great job security, as long as you don't get shot in the face, or bleed out in some back alley or lonely mountain pass. Beats freelance graphic design, that's for sure.

Ironic how you make claim that you're not rambo-sexy yet your entire post was laden with suggestions of combat hardships... Thanks for serving-next brew would be on me if I wasn't just some online mega-douche.

If you leave the army, adjusting back to civilian life takes a good two years. I recommend listening to Enya-if you don't want to download Enya for fear of being called a sissy, just call your local DMV and wait on hold for a good 30 minutes. It takes the edge off.

Kjeldor
10-10-2009, 01:25 PM
epic troll post

The Lord of the Files
10-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Ironic how you make claim that you're not rambo-sexy yet your entire post was laden with suggestions of combat hardships... Thanks for serving-next brew would be on me if I wasn't just some online mega-douche.

If you leave the army, adjusting back to civilian life takes a good two years. I recommend listening to Enya-if you don't want to download Enya for fear of being called a sissy, just call your local DMV and wait on hold for a good 30 minutes. It takes the edge off.

The irony was entirely intentional, I assure you. ;) The truck drivers and x-ray techs get a bad rap, as do most non-combat types. I've never really understood that, as they get the big black pretty frequently. If I were an insurgent, I'd much rather attack a lightly armored and armed column of vital support vehicles than a roaming infantry patrol bristling with fiery death...

As for Enya, it's too late, already got it; And Enigma, Shakespeare's Sister, Tori Amos, and the Sneaker Pimps. I don't mind if the knuckle-draggers think I'm a sissie...without me they can't make phone calls, check email, or talk to their loved ones back home; they keep their disdain pretty well masked. :D

javaguru
10-11-2009, 12:51 AM
This thread got heavy way too quick. I've murdered people and it's a personal journey....was my murder justiified? Killing someone...was it validated by the state...doesn't make much difference if you're a "deep thinker."

The Lord of the Files
10-11-2009, 01:13 AM
..was my murder justiified? Killing someone...was it validated by the state...doesn't make much difference if you're a "deep thinker."

All too true.

The King
10-11-2009, 08:34 AM

Yes i agree, with you, and have read all the post here, i believe you have done right as i my self "singal" should be doing the same, as yes i am a believer but i dont go to church, this game dose take away your family time and slowly poisons you life over a period of time, thats what the Devil dose, he deceives, tempts us, and blinds us from the good that God has for us, theres nothing better than being in Gods presents, where peace, freedom, healing is. Those who disagree with me, that is your choice and leve it at that, living in fear of the unknown eats you life away, id know where id rather be ;) good on ya mate you did right!! and me, ill still play because its where i am in life,, nothing!! thats me,, so i play this keeps me busy. Hay! the Devil is real and so is God! ;)

weymouth
10-11-2009, 06:14 PM
All i can say Cedric is :-
"This above all else, to thine own self be true,
Then it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not be false to any man"

Good Luck in your life, And I applaud you for having the courage of your convictions xx

bigfish41day
10-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Sorry, just my 2 cents worth..... Chinese saying: 1 type of rice can feed 100 type of different ppl.. (direct translation). Point is this.... let there be free choice and freedom of expression. One hundred ppl can either hv 1 view or 100 views depending on the subject matter. So, just quit castle age and get on with yr relationship with your wife and kids. This game is just for fun. there is no obsence nor nude pics. The artist are just trying to depict the characters in an attractive and acceptable image.
So.... relax, shut the acct and inform your clan members... :-)

Aupherizon
10-12-2009, 07:15 PM
theres nothing better than being in Gods presents,

I don't know if I'd like to be in one of God's presents... never know who he's gonna give it to.

And dude, you're seriously depressed. You are obviously something, as nothing is non-existence. The question is do you believe God made you? If you do, then you are something to God and therefore not simply a nothing.

oO☼ﬞ Tricᶄsy-TriӾie ☼ﬞOo
10-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Ahh, to jump into the firestorm.....

I understand the OP's orginal point. He desires to only respond sexually to one source, his wife. While I admit in this world that this is close to impossible, I think this is an awesome ideal to try to live up to. Kinda hard to cheat if the only one you want is the one you have.

As for sex being good and such, I'd say it depends. Sex with your marriage partner, great. Sex that breaks this marriage bond? That's evil. You are breaking a promise, and betraying someone who you pledged your life to. As for more casual sex, I see several problems with it, such as when the girl gets pregnant, and the guy leaves her. This creates single parent families, which typcially means a more difficult life for this new family, and not fair to the child. It certainly changes the life of the new mother, and she probably will have great difficulty in her own life and improving her situation, now that she is responsible for a child. This is to say nothing of the emotional pain inflicted on the now abandoned mother, and the cost to those around her. Sex can have very powerful consequences, which is why religion advocates for sex within marriage, as this is the arraignment most suitable to meet these challenges.

As for the castle age art, I've always found fantasy art of females to be ridiculous. I wish castle age would be more reasonable in their art, but I don't expect them to. Sure, it won't matter to most, but it will appeal to a small percentage, and that's how advertising works. It convinces a small portion of those who see it to modify their behavior, probably less than one in a hundred, but that's still a huge number of people.

BTW, rock on, Cchafee, I respect the choice you made in putting your wife and family first. That's the kind of men we need today.

pfaw, and poppycock!

Fact is, its hard to cheat if one of you is a damned cartoon!

Get real people!

oO☼ﬞ Tricᶄsy-TriӾie ☼ﬞOo
10-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Yes i agree, with you, and have read all the post here, i believe you have done right as i my self "singal" should be doing the same, as yes i am a believer but i dont go to church, this game dose take away your family time and slowly poisons you life over a period of time, thats what the Devil dose, he deceives, tempts us, and blinds us from the good that God has for us, theres nothing better than being in Gods presents, where peace, freedom, healing is. Those who disagree with me, that is your choice and leve it at that, living in fear of the unknown eats you life away, id know where id rather be ;) good on ya mate you did right!! and me, ill still play because its where i am in life,, nothing!! thats me,, so i play this keeps me busy. Hay! the Devil is real and so is God! ;)

then you can go away too!

wyer
03-14-2010, 06:03 AM
Originally Posted by The King View Post
theres nothing better than being in Gods presents

I don't know if I'd like to be in one of God's presents... never know who he's gonna give it to.

And dude, you're seriously depressed. You are obviously something, as nothing is non-existence. The question is do you believe God made you? If you do, then you are something to God and therefore not simply a nothing.

roflmao!!!
I came to this thread from a link in the hall of fame and this post made me laugh so hard I thought I was going to pee my pants. This is an epic reply if ever there was one!

Erevis Cale
03-14-2010, 06:07 AM
IMHO religion is a form of slavery, 1 group of people trying to rule how others live. If somehow this game has gone against the "Scriptures" then id like you to point out in what part of the bible the word digital even pops up.

wyer
03-14-2010, 06:13 AM
IMHO religion is a form of slavery, 1 group of people trying to rule how others live. If somehow this game has gone against the "Scriptures" then id like you to point out in what part of the bible the word digital even pops up.

Ha! Preach on! How about...ummm...groups in CA trying to do that? Huuuh?

(Devils advocate here:D)

Erevis Cale
03-14-2010, 06:14 AM

Wouldnt know about the FB groups i only joined 2 for the mass add and dont deal with them after that.

The Lord of the Files
03-14-2010, 06:15 AM

*snort, giggle*

oh noes. I didn't think this thread would actually come back to life.

What have I done?

Erevis Cale
03-14-2010, 06:18 AM
*snort, giggle*

What have I done?

In response to your comment Files i went back and relized that Im preaching to a guy who quit back int Oct 2009. My Bad!!

Captain Ron
03-14-2010, 06:27 AM
Epic thread.....that is all.:D

MajorTomSawyer
03-14-2010, 06:31 AM
*snort, giggle*

What have I done?

BANNED!

and thanks for the epic laughs, my coworker is looking at me like I am crazy

Erevis Cale
03-14-2010, 06:32 AM
Epic thread.....that is all.:D

You forgot the ignorant, as in epic ignorant thread.

wyer
03-14-2010, 06:36 AM
Hey it had it's moments. I loved the "presents vs presence" reply. Classic.

Erevis Cale
03-14-2010, 06:37 AM
[QUOTE=wyer;680947]Hey it had it's moments.QUOTE]

This is how I feel about religious practices.

tecvoid
03-14-2010, 08:03 AM
i dont know about you but i ONLY play castle age for the masturbatory possibilities. dont tell my clan i said that shhhhh

Erevis Cale
03-14-2010, 08:07 AM
i dont know about you but i ONLY play castle age for the masturbatory possibilities. dont tell my clan i said that shhhhh

Ya and I like to watch!!!

ZORG
03-14-2010, 08:41 AM

Best wishes. and God Bless you, Brother!

Naga
03-14-2010, 08:42 AM
I'm not within the 16-25 or whatever that "Demographic" is, but let me just say one thing:

IF I WANTED TO SEE REALISTIC, PROPORTIONAL, PROPERLY CLOTHED FEMALES, I COULD JUST STEP OUT OF THE HOUSE ANY FREAKIN TIME.

When I play a FANTASY game, I want the females to be impossibly beautiful with impossibly generous boobies and booties. Please listen to me, dear developers.

In exchange, the males, well, they can have 8-pack abs and all the biceps in the world, all the more power to them EVEN THOUGH I KNOW I WOULD NEVER LOOK AS RIPPED AS MALEKUS. I'm secure and happy enough with my flabby body and my lovely love handles, especially now that my BSI has exceeded 6.

I will not protest even if I will never have Percival's torso, Mephi's big red fist, or Chase's boyband looks.

Fair enough? :D

tecvoid
03-14-2010, 08:45 AM
my clan is gang-banging a dragon right now!! 90 on 1 wow

archaeon
03-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Well, I might not be as ripped as malekus, the warrior, but I'm quite happy with my body image. I don't think it's too bad.

solkyro
03-14-2010, 09:07 AM
this is extreme necroposting :D

and i loved this thread!!!!

MarcuzZ WeReWuLvE
03-14-2010, 06:14 PM
A word of warning to the devs. Pls do not release anything hobbitsh for they r evil and disturbing. and also cuz they have uber hairy toes. and also cuz they are ghey n cheaters. doing so will result in your untimely n horrific expiration. you haf been warned. kthxbye~

Fippy_Darkpaw
03-14-2010, 06:47 PM
The game is based on:

- violence
- sorcery
- pagan gods

But the "evil" thing about it is boobs? :confused:

Steel Archangel
03-14-2010, 06:51 PM
The game is based on:

- violence
- sorcery
- pagan gods

But the "evil" thing about it is boobs? :confused:

From the OPs statement, it would seem that past issues with addiction make the breasts and such a more serious issue than you believe them to be.

There are a number of reasons for this which I will not discuss on a public forum, for fear of reprimand, or simply offending OP.

However, if due to past events and circumstances that person believes that the correct decision to be made in order to protect his family is to leave CA, then so be it.

It doesn't matter if you or I agree with him, just that what he does is (in his mind, at least) the right thing to do. :)

TanithTT
03-14-2010, 07:37 PM

Too late! That's too good an admission NOT to be posted on [DSC] Forum ;) :D

Edit - and duly posted ;)

Jstar
03-14-2010, 08:34 PM
I didn't bother reading after the first page, but imo the OP has the right to his own beliefs, and he has the right to state why he is leaving to his friends...without being bombarded or ridiculed for it.

Maybe he could have put it in a PM, but if he's got alot of friends on his list, one general purpose post might have been quicker.

To the OP, good luck in your endeavors :)

studentochaos
03-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Isn't it obvious that this isn't a "real" post? The guy has two posts on this forum but he feels the need to say goodbye in a preachy manner about how people should reconsider their source of entertainment. Seems like a bit of a call to convince people to stop playing that is phrased in such a way that it won't get bounced by the mods.

Maguita
03-14-2010, 08:54 PM
I only have to say that this IS JUST A GAME! For the love of Azeron! A GAME!

Now god will send me to hell for pray to Azeron? 0_0

This post made my day!

Jstar
03-14-2010, 08:57 PM
about how people should reconsider their source of entertainment

Sounded to me like he was speaking strictly for himself....

Now god will send me to hell for pray to Azeron?

Ya just never know....;)

Jstar
03-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Oooo! and before the mods lock this one down...I win! :D

Steel Archangel
03-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Oooo! and before the mods lock this one down...I win! :D

Fail. I win!

Maguita
03-14-2010, 09:21 PM
A couple of pictures of people that are not real, they are cartoons, can cause you to become addicted to ****, brake up a marriage, and destroy woman’s self esteem. WOW THESE LITTLE PICTURES HAVE THAT MUCH POWER. It’s a game if you can not tell the difference between a game and reality, PLEASE turn the computer OFF. GET HELP !!!!

I´m really scared :(... in any moment i will find my husband in bed making a threesome with Lotus and Sylvanas...0_0!!! Their boobs are bigger than mine! :(

Jstar
03-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Fail. I win!

ARRGGHH! I been caught out LOL

in any moment i will find my husband in bed making a threesome with Lotus and Sylvanas...0_0!!! Their boobs are bigger than mine!

No need to fear..just use the eraser tool in Photoshop.

Steel Archangel
03-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Lotus AND Sylvanas???

...I need to fan myself down. I seem to be overheating...:o

Maguita
03-14-2010, 09:38 PM
No need to fear..just use the eraser tool in Photoshop.

I have a better idea, i will use it to get my boobs bigger! :D

Lotus AND Sylvanas???

...I need to fan myself down. I seem to be overheating...:o

RFLMAO!

Steel Archangel
03-14-2010, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=Maguita;685230]I have a better idea, i will use it to get my boobs bigger! :D

No need for that! Just join in the fun! :D

mflintjer
03-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Oh for heavens sakes its a Damn Game, if you dont like it get off of it... you downloaded it... im a grandma and love it...and made many new friends on it..:rolleyes:

GO G'MA!! WOO-HOO!! Hang in there kiddo!!

Now, for the guy that started this....hang on, I need to reach into my wallet and pull out my....BU*****IT!! Card...

Dude, LOTF said it best, and I quote:

If your intent is to protect your daughter from images that "objectify" women, then you've a lot more pressing concerns than Castle Age. She's already bombarded with them daily in western culture. Putting the time and effort into building and reinforcing her sense of self-worth is infinitely more effective than trying to keep her in a bubble. What happens when she grows up, and the bubble pops? You should be encouraging her to ask questions, and using every one of them as an opportunity to teach her.
Get a grip on reality man. If you want to claim that "holier than thou" crap...why did you even start playing this in the first place?? MAGIC is heresy!! And to propagate such heresy is blasphemy!!

BWAH HA HA HA HAAAAAA!!! Thank you for the laugh...

Glad my parents had enough foresight not to narrow my literary choices...otherwise JRR Tolkien and Terry Brroks and Terry Goodkind would never have crossed my eyes...and thank GOD they (the authors mentioned) did!!

**shaking my head as i walk away**....mumbling half-aloud...just no accounting for some people's KIDS!!....mumbling...Sheesh, they don't listen...mumbling more...they think they KNOW it all!!....DAMN KIDS!!

Valiant Flame
03-14-2010, 10:38 PM

After reading 21 pages of this, I have come to my decision...

Time to bump the boobs thread!

InvisibleChicken
03-14-2010, 10:43 PM
I think i got lost on my way to the Female Generals and their big boobs thread :D

LadyLynne
03-14-2010, 11:36 PM
In my own unprofessional opinion....I think Gorlak is hot!!!! Maybe I should quit the game too...as I'm a Grandma...:D

Zidovain
03-14-2010, 11:57 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/game_over_tshirt-p2356317596346971623y69_400.jpghttp://rlv.zcache.com/game_over_tshirt-p2359688741600657064uvk_400.jpghttp://irintech.com/x1/images/jean/game_over_marriage.jpg

oO☼ﬞ Tricᶄsy-TriӾie ☼ﬞOo
03-15-2010, 12:05 AM
who the hell dragged this thread out of the depths?

dragonlady67
03-15-2010, 03:07 AM
Well, I know that one step of addiction counseling is remove yourself from what tempts you. If this bothers you that much and could interfere in your married life due to too much time on PC, I understand and good luck with your decision. I know that my house is a mess right now 'cause i've been rushing home from work to come play and talk to ya'll. :)

BTW, this is what I found on a website at s^xual recovery.com
It states:

Some signs of **** addiction can include:

An inability to stop the behavior (s) and use despite previous attempts
Anger or irritablity if asked to stop
Hiding or attempting to keep secret all or a part of the use
Continuing the behavior despite obvious consequences – like a relationship or job loss
Getting lost in the problem of **** use - i.e. Spending more time than intended, losing time

And here's the help:
Below are listed a few tips for dealing with **** addiction:

Getting blocking software for the computer
Putting up inspirational pictures around the computer (kids, people you love etc.)
Moving the computer to a public space in the home – not in a den or bedroom
Having an addiction prevention plan – to carry out when tempted
Knowing the signs of **** addiction – both the general signs and those specific to you
Knowing the stages of **** addiction
Making good use of **** addiction resources like 12-step meetings, sex addiction professionals and online recovery support groups
A commitment to breaking addition has to be renewed one-day-at-a-time, it can be a set-up for the addict to think of it as forever!

cuy50
03-15-2010, 03:07 AM

I dunno, but I just finished beating off for 3 hours to the amazingly sexy female characters of this game. These drawn characters are just oh so arousing!:eek:

dragonlady67
03-15-2010, 03:16 AM

Amen to that one. I feel your pain. Anthrax, H1N1, non-FDA approved blood tests, .....

Oh, and BTW, we in the medical field will always have jobs. :) Now, tell me what some of the field guys are going to have as jobs in civvie world?

Hmmm, tank driver = NY cabbie?

Nope, if you're smart when u join, make sure u pick a field that equates to a civilian job.

My .02

dragonlady67
03-15-2010, 03:44 AM

holy cow! Just saw this and went back to read the post date. Why didn't one of you SMACK me before I posted all my looooong helpful advice? :eek::eek:

oO☼ﬞ Tricᶄsy-TriӾie ☼ﬞOo
03-15-2010, 03:51 AM
holy cow! Just saw this and went back to read the post date. Why didn't one of you SMACK me before I posted all my looooong helpful advice? :eek::eek:

OMG I almost peed laughing so hard at that! :D

hide in the castle
03-15-2010, 03:55 AM

good for you i suppose. to each his own and i wish u the best in all u do.....

airdan
03-15-2010, 03:59 AM
You have issues OP.

CA is the least of your worries.

and lol.

Alanon
03-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Wow this thread is so OLD :rolleyes:

oO☼ﬞ Tricᶄsy-TriӾie ☼ﬞOo
03-15-2010, 04:08 AM
I dunno, but I just finished beating off for 3 hours to the amazingly sexy female characters of this game. These drawn characters are just oh so arousing!:eek:

Oh. I should have known Wyer was responsible for this LOL

juli&richard
03-15-2010, 04:08 AM
Why waste our time telling us you are leaving you sad sad sad sad person go read your scriptures.

cuy50
03-15-2010, 04:11 AM

That's all me. Cuy50, trolling since...for quite a few years.;)

Koz
03-15-2010, 07:39 AM

I agree with you 200%
The OP's claims are just ridiculous. Dude, if you are having ..um.. "feelings" by looking at these artwork of fictitious women, then trust me, CA is the last of your concerns. You need serious therapy for that man. :D

Jstar
03-15-2010, 07:44 AM
HOLY CRAP!! 10-06-2009???!

*feels soooo stoopid.*

ZORG
03-15-2010, 08:24 AM

ponder.......

[Turks] Rude
03-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Hmmm...lets think about this for a moment...

CA is a game...nothing more, nothing less.

Does it violate ANY moral code? NO! (The deaths of these poor pixels MIGHT offend some people)

You sound like the same people who think reading Harry Potter teaches kids real sorcery. Get a grip!

And finally...

Carlin's Third Commandment: Keep thy religion to thyself!

jaadkins2006
03-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Wow, just how addicted to **** was the OP? I want to know if they just did the random check one out here and there or if they were spending every waking moment watching it. Lol, if CA pics are too hot for him, I hope someone monitors his tv time at night when the Girls Gone Wild infomercials start coming on.

*edit*

really? I can't say ****ography? Can I say smut films or dirty movies?

Maguita
03-15-2010, 11:37 AM
HOLY CRAP!! 10-06-2009???!

*feels soooo stoopid.*

Who cares the date? This is the best post ever!

jaadkins2006
03-15-2010, 11:43 AM
My mother tongue is Spanish. Please excuse my English

Darn. I have certain agreements with my goldfish about my computer usage, so now I have to quit the forums due to my "mind in the gutter" personality because you used "mother" and "tongue" in the same sentence. Oh cruel world and my domineering gold fish.

Maguita
03-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Darn. I have certain agreements with my goldfish about my computer usage, so now I have to quit the forums due to my "mind in the gutter" personality because you used "mother" and "tongue" in the same sentence. Oh cruel world and my domineering gold fish.

LOL!!!
blablabla

Thanos
03-15-2010, 03:51 PM
What ever happened to tolerance? I feel that Americans will tolerate (or appear to for appearances sake) anything.......except Christianity expressed. If you are gay, jewish, muslim, Indian, agnostic, or anything else it's 'fashionable' to accept them and defend them, but let someone express Christian faith and "oh , they are that crazy right wing". You all have been brainwashed by the media into this stance, and I for one think it's shameful. Obviously, I'm a woman...

Are you serious??? Are you a muslim/indian/native american/lesbian/black/etc. woman?

What world do you live in? Go talk to the visible minorities in the US outside major urban centers such as NYC/SF, etc. and ask them if they feel accepted or at the very least, tolerated? Leave your bubble and ask around. You'll notice a very different perspective on what it is to be a visible minority.

Defyeler
03-15-2010, 04:46 PM
This whole thread is just one lmfao moment. One of my good friends is a Priest and needless to say devout Christian. He has saturday AD&D groups so he can get more youngsters in his church. He understands it's just fantasy and a GAME. In his own words. "it's the path you walk. The life you live. The faith and love you have in Him and your family."

The man is well adjusted in his beliefs, and in what is right, wrong, and what is purely fantasy.

Erevis Cale
03-15-2010, 04:49 PM
This whole thread is just one lmfao moment. One of my good friends is a Priest and needless to say devout Christian. He has saturday AD&D groups so he can get more youngsters in his church. He understands it's just fantasy and a GAME. In his own words. "it's the path you walk. The life you live. The faith and love you have in Him and your family."

The man is well adjusted in his beliefs, and in what is right, wrong, and what is purely fantasy.

Well as I understand religion, it doesnt matter what you do in life as long as you ask for forgiveness on your death bed.

Mist
03-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Well as I understand religion, it doesnt matter what you do in life as long as you ask for forgiveness on your death bed.
Aren't catholics the only ones that have last rights ceremonies on someones death bed?

Erevis Cale
03-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Aren't catholics the only ones that have last rights ceremonies on someones death bed?

I dont know, I thought it was anyone who practiced Catholocism and Christianity.

Malroth
03-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Nope. Some believe that through acts you earn your way into heaven. Some believe "by grace through faith" you are saved. Some have confessionals, some simple prayer.

Ragnar
03-15-2010, 05:08 PM
The Catholics, the Eastern Orthodox, and the Anglicans practice "extreme Unction", or Last Rites.

I'm not aware of it being practiced in other denominations, but my comparative theology is rusty. Most of the other Protestant denominations wouldn't see a need for it necessarily.

These sorts of discussions always kill me, because most of the people harping on religion don't know the first thing about theology, and most of the people harping on secularism don't know the first thing about theology *either*. It's like watching an internet flame war about philosophy between a bunch of people who don't understand formal logic.

Bill
03-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Best thread ever!! Thanks for reviving it!! Still see two possibilities:

1) The OP is a genius and should be awarded for the best joke in Castle Age. Seriously, he should get some free Favor Points if he's still playing (which is possible since it's a joke). Seriously, this guy is a true artist!!

OR

2) The OP needs serious therapy! And i hope he got some by now, since the thread is so old. I can see some serious obsessions, and i'm not talking about the female characters and their boobs, but about religious delusion and craving for (negative) attention.

Since the OP has made only 2 posts, my bet is for the first.

The Hatter
03-16-2010, 04:54 AM

Within Christianity that would be a seriously flawed, fundamentally erroneous understanding.

The Hatter
03-16-2010, 04:55 AM
Rude;688409']Hmmm...lets think about this for a moment...

CA is a game...nothing more, nothing less.

Does it violate ANY moral code? NO! (The deaths of these poor pixels MIGHT offend some people)

You sound like the same people who think reading Harry Potter teaches kids real sorcery. Get a grip!

And finally...

Carlin's Third Commandment: Keep thy religion to thyself!

Placing aside the fact that all sorcery, wether in a game or no is forbidden to the Christian.

The Hatters first commandment, keep thy atheism to thyself.

rklhughes
03-16-2010, 05:58 AM
Ah hell, I may as well take a break too, just equip mercedes, and come back in a few months to see the awesome stock pile of gold you will have :)

Death of Rats
03-16-2010, 06:03 AM
Ah hell, I may as well take a break too, just equip mercedes, and come back in a few months to see the awesome stock pile of gold you will have :)

Be careful around her. She has boobs.

The Lord of the Files
03-16-2010, 01:53 PM

My fault, actually. I voted for it and linked it in the "Best Threads Hall of Fame"

Don't blame wyer...I claim the credit all for myself. :D

bronko
03-16-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm not within the 16-25 or whatever that "Demographic" is, but let me just say one thing:

IF I WANTED TO SEE REALISTIC, PROPORTIONAL, PROPERLY CLOTHED FEMALES, I COULD JUST STEP OUT OF THE HOUSE ANY FREAKIN TIME.

When I play a FANTASY game, I want the females to be impossibly beautiful with impossibly generous boobies and booties. Please listen to me, dear developers.

In exchange, the males, well, they can have 8-pack abs and all the biceps in the world, all the more power to them EVEN THOUGH I KNOW I WOULD NEVER LOOK AS RIPPED AS MALEKUS. I'm secure and happy enough with my flabby body and my lovely love handles, especially now that my BSI has exceeded 6.

I will not protest even if I will never have Percival's torso, Mephi's big red fist, or Chase's boyband looks.

Fair enough? :D

but but i want that big fist being named bronko i find it hard to get my littel hand around it while looking at half naked cartoons

wyer
03-17-2010, 01:52 AM
My fault, actually. I voted for it and linked it in the "Best Threads Hall of Fame"

Don't blame wyer...I claim the credit all for myself. :D

You are so damn noble.

The Lord of the Files
03-17-2010, 01:55 AM
You are so damn noble.

Comes with the job, don'cha know.

And Legends gotta watch out for each other. ;)

wyer
03-17-2010, 01:58 AM
So true. And Dragoqueenie is with us now too..boy things should get shook up good now!

GypsyKing
03-17-2010, 05:12 AM
You go grandma :) Perhaps the CA theme is based around King Arthurs time and place (England) and caucasion women wore bustiers (medieval wonder-bras), caucasion men wore armor, shields and weapons, and the poets wrote of duels, conquering dragons, and winning the affection of the opposite sex. This "theme" is what intrigues many people.
Variety is good, but I don't work for CA. If you and a bunch of people write to the designers of the game and ask them nicely for what you want, you might get it.... Then again, you might not. It's up to them.

GypsyKing
03-17-2010, 06:13 AM
The place is England. The year is 787. :) The knights of the round table and King Arthur defend Camelot, traveling the countryside in search of the holy grail. You are immersed in this realm while playing CA, like it or not... Fantasy based, scantily clad fair maidens in bustiers (see: medieval wonder-bra), kings and queens, princes and princesses, knights and damsels riding horses in England and the surrounding areas. Fighting dragons, looting their gold, valiant duels, armies going to war, it's all part of the world of CA. It's meant to be entertaining, fun, and visually pleasing.
I would be happy to see crazy old hunchbacks and wicked witches with broomsticks, but the designers of CA choose what appears in the game. Good luck finding a game that has regular old Joe and plain looking Jane fighting dragons. It's true, they helped defend castles and fight wars, but fantasy stories don't often find them as the focal point/eye candy that draws a crowd.

Commander-Tidus
03-17-2010, 06:49 AM

You da man! I definitely agree with your decision. I'm glad to see other Christians playing this game. Take care and have fun! God bless. =)

crnickers
03-29-2010, 12:33 AM
It the man in question had a problem and felt he needed to deal with it in a certain way, I respect that. The game doesn't bother me, although I now understand that it does bother some others. Basically, even if I disagree with your beliefs, I defend your right to have them! If reading science fiction and fantasy corrupted me, then I'm already corrupted!