PDA

View Full Version : Mastering Siege Link Trading

Splarticus
06-19-2010, 12:35 AM
Here's the fastest way I've found to complete the siege engines by trading links:

Set up:
1. Get a browser with tabs for windows. Any modern browser should do.

2. Install a program or tool on your browswer that will automatically "linkify" URLs. Linkification add-on for Firefox or Linkification (http://download.cnet.com/Linkification-for-IE/3000-12512_4-10820807.html) for Internet Explorer will do this. Another alternative is to create a linkify bookmarklet. Here's a bookmarklet from Hrafn:

- Right click on your bookmarks toolbar. (Ctrl-B will show it if it's hidden)
- Select the Add Page option to add a new Bookmark
- For the name enter "Linkify"
- For the URL, copy and paste everything from this code block:

Here's the code:

javascript:(function(){var D=document; D.body.normalize(); F(D.body); function F(n){var u,A,M,R,c,x; if(n.nodeType==3){ u=n.data.search(/https?\:\/\/[^\s]*[^.,">\s\)\]]/); if(u>=0) { M=n.splitText(u); R=M.splitText(RegExp.lastMatch.length); A=document.createElement("A"); A.href=M.data; A.appendChild(M); R.parentNode.insertBefore(A,R); } }else if(n.tagName!="STYLE" && n.tagName!="SCRIPT" && n.tagName!="A")for(c=0;x=n.childNodes[c];++c)F(x); } })();

And now, you can press one button to linkify every request for favor on a monster.

These tools will save you from constantly having to change your copy/paste from the monster you want to visit, back to your monster you want them to click on.

3. Pick a site to shorten the URL so that it doesn't get cut off at the text limit for the monster chat. Tiny URL works fine. Edit: Some people may avoid shortened URLs, since they can't see where the URL goes to, so it may be better to put in the full link. YMMV.

4. Test your shortened link to make sure it works, and is a siege link, not just a link to the monster! Siege links have "&action=doObjective" in them. You can loose a lot of stamina that is never returned if your link doesn't work.

Ready to start trading links? Ok!

Step 1: Find some "fresh" monsters that are trading sieges. The Help me with Monsters forums here are a good source. Go to the latest post on one of the currently popular monsters - Azriel right now - and click on some of the recently posted monsters - preferably within the last hour - to open them in a new tab. If you don't mind other people joining your battle, then post your monster in the appropriate "Help me with Monsters" forum as well.

Step 2: Paste your link into the CA monster chat box of the monster you've just sieged. Typical format is, "45th PRTF: your_tiny_URL_linkhere." Some people instead post the RTF link in the CTA message on FB instead of the CA monster chat. If you try that, let me know how well it works.

Step 3: Using Linkification, open all of the other fresh links from other people on that monster in new tabs. I usually define fresh as less than 30 minutes old. If you go longer, then you can get more links, but it will take some people longer to return your click since they may have walked away or gone to bed/work/bowling, etc. As much as possible, remember the links you click on by picture, or name, or URL. Not required to remember them all, but it will save you some clicking if you remember some. Once you've clicked all the fresh links, close the tab.

Step 4: Move on to the next tab, and repeat from step 2. IF you see that you've already sieged this monster, then you only have to look down to where you posted PRTF last time for the fresh links. Eventually, all the links will be sieges you've already visited or not fresh.

Step 5: Go back to your keep, and immediately pay back any favors that have been given to you. You will have a lot of FR links coming in from the monsters you clicked on and some PRTF mixed in from people who followed your links on other pages. Click on all the links that don't say FR and have a number. Change your message to, "87th! FR from: your_tiny_URL_linkhere" It's important to give your link when you return a favor, so that other people searching for sieges to trade will also send favors to your monster when they look for links to trade.

Step 6: Wait an hour or two, and return any new PRTF on your monster, and then repeat from Step 1.

Notes:
- Don't return favors for people who don't give the number of their siege before their link. It's not perfect, but a siege number is a reasonable confirmation that someone clicked on your monster and isn't just scamming clicks.
- Some people post links that make you directly attack their monster, instead of siege links or monster page links. Chain those people.
- If you're feeling kind, you can correct the links for people who post bad siege links. If you open the monster but don't siege it, then add "&action=doObjective" to the end of the URL. If you open the person's monster list instead of the specific monster, then add "&mpool=1" for bosses, "&mpool=2" for dragons/serpents, and "&mpool=3" for world monsters.

Doiron
06-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Personally, I will never follow a tiny URL or other url shortener because I can't trust where they go. And really, there's no need. Spend 10 seconds getting your message right instead.

I will, however, give the benefit of the doubt if the number isn't in front of the PRTF.

zserg
06-19-2010, 04:51 AM
I agree with Doiron on tiny url's.I don't like to click those just because they might be attack links and with the new 50 stamina buttons,I just don't wanna take any risks.Btw afaik as long as you simply put a number then prtf + full link, you'll never get your link cut off (except for raids---that's the only place where I understand the use of tiny urls)
I'm not sure what linkification is, but this is how I do it. I simply select the url I want to assist from the chat box, drag it from there to the browser's address bar, and the browser then just opens(or w/e the proper term is) that link.
Anyway, these are good tips, personally when I start assisting people I check all the world monster pages.From the ones that are popular I assist the first 2 pages and from the others just one page.

BobicusTheConqurer
06-19-2010, 06:31 AM
I agree with Doiron on tiny url's.I don't click those just because they might be attack links and with the new 50 stamina buttonsI've grown more cautious about *******'s ever since some smart aleck redirected me to a p.o.r.n site in one. I didn't know how to report him, but I did chain him daily for the next 2 weeks.

As for the 50 stam links, I can think of absolutely no better way to get taggers and chainers into you or your buddies battles.

And to add to what OP said, You don't have to wait a couple of hours to start returning clicks, usually 5 or 10 minutes will do, always leave a fr with your return favor. I have found you should be able to generate around 45 clicks per hour doing this at a cost of 40-50 stam. I'm an old guy so I don't move all that quick, I suspect if you were younger and faster you may be able to 60-70 clicks per hour on a good day.

Splarticus
06-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Dunno. I've clicked over a thousand links in the past two weeks, and only once did a URL lead me to auto attack a monster. I immediately chained the offender till he was at low HP or dead and wrote him a nasty note in the monster field. He was hiding for at least a week afterwards.

I don't think that's a big problem since people can police it by chaining and otherwise expressing their displeasure. I appreciate the smaller links since they're easier to click on with Linkification.

BobicusTheConqurer
06-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Dunno. I've clicked over a thousand links in the past two weeks, and only once did a URL lead me to auto attack a monster. ...About the same here. I use to use the smaller links, but when the forum banned them in the 'Help me with my monster' threads, I quit using them and now just post out the large link now. The larger links aren't that much more trouble, and the number of people responding to the redirect links is growing smaller as time goes by.

Deriam
06-19-2010, 10:52 AM
go to ******* and enable the preview option, it lets you see the extended url before you have to click, sure it takes a bit longer, but it does allow you to trust the ******* posters, also it allows you to know who to chain without having to waste 50 stamina

edit: haha t i n y url is censored even when not an acctual link xD

Death of Rats
06-19-2010, 11:16 AM
The full links can be truncated. Everything after the mpool=# can be removed. Also, twt=bossname_img& is also unnecessary. Additionally, the http://

Therefore, any boss in mpool=3 (World Monsters) can have a URL that looks like this:
apps.facebook.com/castle_age/battle_monster.php?user=FBID&action=doObjective&mpool=3

Where FBID is the summoner's Facebook id number.

feathin
06-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Dunno. I've clicked over a thousand links in the past two weeks, and only once did a URL lead me to auto attack a monster. I immediately chained the offender till he was at low HP or dead and wrote him a nasty note in the monster field. He was hiding for at least a week afterwards.

I don't think that's a big problem since people can police it by chaining and otherwise expressing their displeasure. I appreciate the smaller links since they're easier to click on with Linkification.

I love the shortlinks since they're so much faster, and allow you to write a nice message instead of wasting space. As such I'll preferentially click shortlinks, so people using the full link may miss out on my click. I'm sure I've followed over a 1000 shortlinks and I don't recall ever finding an intentionally bad one, whether it be to attack a monster (which would be a stupid thing to do as you'd fill up with taggers and lose the battle) or a redirect to an outside site.

I think people who only rtf to full links should mention that in their posts outside their monster, so shortlink users don't waste stamina on their fearful hides. All we're trying to do is save THEM time.

Frank Cadena
06-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Ah... There are people out there, and I use the term loosely to be polite, that use shortened URLs to link you to scam sites that can get you infected, make you spend FP on potions and other vanity items, and generally be a nuisance. After hearing about that, I avoid links that are shortened if I don't know where they go, even from people I trust.

Splarticus
06-20-2010, 12:08 AM
As feathin mentions, not returning a favor because someone used an tiny URL with PRTF on your monster seems overly phobic. The person did spend a stamina point on your siege. If you don't want to follow tiny urls to post a PRTF, that's your own discretion, I guess.

I've been using the approach described above for weeks, and only once, shortly after I started, did someone post an attack link. To be fair, I don't think it was hidden behind a tiny url. I didn't know to check back then, so I clicked the URL without looking for the attack part.

zserg
06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Well in the end whether you use tiny url's or large links is irrelevant(i said i didn't like tiny url's but I still return them), and I think people should really read this and learn how to get the sieges launched.I've seen many battles that with 40 or 50 hours left barely have one siege launched which is ridiculous.

Spellfire
06-21-2010, 05:30 PM
I prefer to click army member CTAs and post the rtf, if needed as comments. You can type as long as you want in the CTA comments and they can become nice conversations at times :D

Additionally they don't scroll off like the monster chat and my army member will respond the rtf instead of the summoner since they CTAed.

Rutherford
06-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Awesome article!

Google Chrome users can Linkify with a short Javascript bookmarlet.

1. Right click on your bookmarks toolbar. (Ctrl-B will show it if it's hidden)
2. Select the Add Page option to add a new Bookmark
3. For the name enter "Linkify"
4. For the URL, copy and paste everything from this code block:

javascript:(function(){var D=document; D.body.normalize(); F(D.body); function F(n){var u,A,M,R,c,x; if(n.nodeType==3){ u=n.data.search(/https?\:\/\/[^\s]*[^.,">\s\)\]]/); if(u>=0) { M=n.splitText(u); R=M.splitText(RegExp.lastMatch.length); A=document.createElement("A"); A.href=M.data; A.appendChild(M); R.parentNode.insertBefore(A,R); } }else if(n.tagName!="STYLE" && n.tagName!="SCRIPT" && n.tagName!="A")for(c=0;x=n.childNodes[c];++c)F(x); } })();

And now, you can press one button to linkify every request for favor on a monster.

You'll still need to be careful about what URLs you click, and make your own judgement calls with regards to acceptable levels of risk.

Happy Assist Clicks!

Death of Rats
06-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Rutherford, do you know if there is a similar option for Firefox and/or IE?

zserg
06-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Use the linkification add-on for firefox as Splarticus mentioned in his first post. I actually didn't know such an add-on exists before reading this thread

Death of Rats
06-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Use the linkification add-on for firefox as Splarticus mentioned in his first post. I actually didn't know such an add-on exists before reading this thread

I installed that Firefox add-on, but it doesn't seem to work. I never have any luck with add-ons. :(

zserg
06-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Try double clicking the links even if they are not highlighted

Death of Rats
06-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Try double clicking the links even if they are not highlighted

That worked. Not very intuitive. Oh, well. Glad it works.

Splarticus
06-22-2010, 04:46 AM
@ Death of Rats - Linkification makes a little round icon down in the lower right-hand corner of Firefox. It's greyed out when Linkification is off. If you click on that so that it's green, the links should be hyperlinked. Keyboard shortcut for same is Ctrl + Shift + L.

@ Spellfire - I would think switching back and forth between the FB CTA and the CA monster pages would slow down the link trading quite a bit. Can you do that quickly?

@ Rutherford, bookmarklets should work for all browsers, although I'm not sure if the particular one you posted has chrome-specific code in it. If someone can test and post if it works on Firefox or IE, that would be great.

Thanks!

Death of Rats
06-22-2010, 05:07 AM
@ Death of Rats - Linkification makes a little round icon down in the lower right-hand corner of Firefox. It's greyed out when Linkification is off. If you click on that so that it's green, the links should be hyperlinked. Keyboard shortcut for same is Ctrl + Shift + L.

@ Spellfire - I would think switching back and forth between the FB CTA and the CA monster pages would slow down the link trading quite a bit. Can you do that quickly?

@ Rutherford, bookmarklets should work for all browsers, although I'm not sure if the particular one you posted has chrome-specific code in it. If someone can test and post if it works on Firefox or IE, that would be great.

Thanks!

Just tested Rutherford's in Firefox. It works there.

And thanks for the help. Will make that chore a bit faster.

Splarticus
06-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Edited for clarity and added steps to fix broken siege URLs for those feeling kind.

Mods, can we get this added to the informational threads post?

Rutherford
01-25-2011, 04:25 AM
http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=129782713729580&v=app_6261817190

This facebook app is called Need Clickers and I am in love. I think of it like a Stamina bank for launching siege weapons. You put some Stamina in when you have some extra. You take 20 out at a time in the form of pre-traded links.

They give you 100 for signing up. You can "win" a free one every so often on a dead link (which nice people will report as expired). But that doesn't happen a lot because you get to pick how many assists you need up to 20 at a time and you get to see the profile picture of every person who helped out.

I will never trade the old way, and more people using this thing will just make it work better.