PDA

View Full Version : Guide for the busy player

verence
06-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi all.

I've been playing CA for about a month. I know I'm not an expert, but I have read the main guides in this forum (300, Lena and others) and I have an advantage over veteran gamers: I never knew the old rules of CA and only know the game as it is right now.

Here I'll try to offer a guide for players who don't have much free time to spare playing games on the Internet. I will assume they can play the game only once a day, for 30 minutes.

Corrections and suggestions are welcome, since I'm just at level 72 and have yet to fully understand many aspects of the game. Anyway, this guide is for beginners, and advanced aspects should be learnt as they play. Also, English is not my mother tongue, so please feel free to correct me.

OK, let's start.

What are the general objectives of the busy player?

As a busy player, you can only play the game once a day, for 30 minutes. So your objectives should be:

- Make the most of your playing time.
- Make the game work for you while you're away.
- Make sure other players don't take advantage of your work.

If you follow the next steps, you will reach those objectives.

What don't you need as a busy player?

You don't have the time to build a huge army. So you don't want to improve as an invader, you don't want to try to defend against invasions from other players, and therefore you don't want to spend your time and gold buying soldiers except for the quests.

Everyday actions

Here are the actions you should do every time you play. 30 minutes should be enough.

- Stash your gold in your treasury. This way it can't be stolen by other players while you are playing. If the 10% tax bothers you, just use Aeris as your General (if she's at level 4, the tax is 0%).

- Receive blessing from a Demi-Power of your choice. As you can read in the following messages, you could follow each path for a while to open the first quests (so you can get the free skill points from them), and then you should stick to one of the paths. For a busy player, I'd choose Azeron's path.

- Spend your energy.

- Spend your stamina.

- Whenever you turn level, distribute your skill points and spend your energy/stamina again.

- Improve your land for higher income, if you think it's convenient.

- Send/accept gifts to/from your friends.

- Make Mercedes your current General just before you leave. This way, you'll earn more gold every hour.

- Stash your gold again, and logout. Attackers can't steal the gold you earn every hour until you log in again.

How should you distribute your skill points?

You are a busy player and can only connect once a day, so you need the following:

- 300 energy.
- 300 stamina.

The reason is: it takes 25 hours for them to recharge. So, when you start playing everyday, you will have plenty of energy and stamina, and you won't waste a single point because the bar fills while you are away. Your first objective should be getting this 300/300.

- 100 health. You don't need more.

- I thought that defense was not so important for the non-PvP player, but if you read the following messages you'll see I was wrong. So try to improve both your attack and defense levels as they say.

How should you spend your energy?

There are mainly two ways:

- Doing quests.

- Fighting monsters.

As you can see in the answers, questing is a better way of spending your energy unless you want the loot for fighting other players.

How should you spend your stamina?

Again two main ways:

- Fighting monsters.

- Fighting other players. It's risky in the beginning because your attack and defense stats won't be high, as you're investing in improving your energy and stamina. Read the final point of this guide.

So, IMHO, the best way you can spend your stamina is fighting monsters. If you don't have many monsters available, you may want to invest your skill points in improving your energy instead of your stamina. As you keep playing, you'll have more monsters and friends that summon them, and you will need more stamina.

How should you spend your gold?

You should only spend it in:

- Improving your land for higher income.
- Hiring the soldiers that are needed for your quests. No more.
- Hiring heroes.

You should keep a balance: do profitable quests, improve your land, hire soldiers/heroes needed for more profitable quests, and so on. Just try to buy your buildings 10 at a time whenever you can, and try to build those that have the highest Income/Cost ratio first, unless they're too expensive for you at this time.

How should you fight against other players?

You shouldn't. You should raise your energy/stamina, and then your attack and defense. By the time your attack is no less than 1.5 times your current level, you'll also have some nice heroes and items and you can start attacking other players. Try the low-level ones first, and if you find them easy, go for the bigger fishes.

Initially you will lose many battles. Whenever someone attacks you, you will almost always lose. When that happens, you lose the following:

- Some health.
- Some gold.
- Some battle points.

If your health gets down to 0, you're killed and lose a little experience (1 point). Nobody can attack you again until your health gets up to 10 points. So, in fact, you can't be killed many times and can't lose a lot of experience.

If you have stashed your gold before you logged out, nobody can steal any gold from you. Even if you have earned more gold through the hours, that gold is not available until you log in again.

If you never battle, you won't have any battle points except those that you win when an attacker is defeated. So you don't have many battle points to lose.

So: you don't have any gold to be stolen. You don't have many battle points to lose. You are at a low battle level (and your attackers won't get many battle points when they defeat you). This means that nobody will want to fight you several times; if they do, that will be a waste of time/stamina/health for them and they will be at a disadvantage in the long run.

EpiQC
06-13-2010, 10:25 PM
A few points:
It's better to spend energy on quests rather than monsters, at least until you reach the Demon Realm and you don't have any demi quests left. The exp from monsters isn't so much better, and since you don't want to PvP, you don't need loot. So that leaves you with FPs, which may help you level up to gain more SPs, but quests do that for you already.

If you still prefer to spend energy on monsters, you'll need some defense. With only 250 defense, I can defend for 20k against serpents. Defense, as is also the case with attack, isn't only for PvP, you know.

Building an army is a long-term deal. You don't have to get to 501 during the 30 minutes you can play each day. But surely, you can play for more than 30 minutes on week-ends or days off, at least once in a while, so I wouldn't set that option aside entirely. Especially if you want more gifts and monster targets. I'm only at 220-ish myself.

Remember that monsters are there so you can get better items for PvP. If you fight monsters just to fight monsters, you'll get bored soon.

verence
06-13-2010, 10:39 PM
I disagree with the first point. When you attack a monster, you get 1-6 XP per stamina point that you spend. That means an average 3:1 ratio. When questing, the best you can get is a 15/9 ratio, which is almost the half.

So, if you attack monsters from the beginning, you can level up faster. The only exception for me would be the quests and subquests on the land of fire, which give you free skill points for very little energy.

Regarding the defense: remember this guide is for beginners, as I think all guides are. Any player that has a 250 defense is definitely not a beginner. I have 20 points in defense, and can assist my friends attacking monsters like Azriel with no problem at all. In fact, I attack with Vanquish, who is supposed to low my defense level by 25 points.

Anyway, if a monster hurts you badly, you can heal yourself just spending a little of money. I'd prefer to spend that money better than spend skill points on defense, but that's only my opinion.

Your last 2 points are OK, I agree with you there. But note that following this guide you could start attacking other players when you´re roughly at level 100. I just say that you should first improve your energy/stamina, and then your attack, before trying to play PvP; until that time, you should focus on PvM and questing... if you're a busy player. ;-)

Thank you!

Deriam
06-13-2010, 10:42 PM
yeah I see no reason to ignore adding army members even if you only playing for 30 min

acctually playing this style I more than ussual recomend getting those army members added

1. you need 200 to do maximum damage to ragnarok

2. as 300 energy and stamina is 900 skill points your bsi will be low and invasion against smaller armies are your better chanse of getting higher battle rank (skill points) and you also should aim for 5000 won invasions

also with that high energy and average leveling speed you will get through quest quite fast so you should definitly have some points in defense to make fortifcations stronger

I disagree with the first point. When you attack a monster, you get 1-6 XP per stamina point that you spend. That means an average 3:1 ratio. When questing, the best you can get is a 15/9 ratio, which is almost the half

per stamina yes, but the exp gain per energy is half of the gain per stamina, and best quest is 35/20 not 15/9

RAUKO
06-13-2010, 10:54 PM
I disagree with the first point. When you attack a monster, you get 1-6 XP per stamina point that you spend. That means an average 3:1 ratio. When questing, the best you can get is a 15/9 ratio, which is almost the half.

So, if you attack monsters from the beginning, you can level up faster. The only exception for me would be the quests and subquests on the land of fire, which give you free skill points for very little energy.

You WON'T get 3:1 ratio, unless You fight only dragons.

You WON'T level faster on stamina, then on energy farming SPs

I suggest You to play a lot more CA before You start writing guides. You'll just misinform newbies.

50 NP

EpiQC
06-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Normally, you get 1-3 exp, and there's a 10% chance you get an exp assist, which doubles the exp you get. So 2.2 exp per stamina, not 3.0, which is 1.1 exp per stat point. But that doesn't matter, because power attacks are a better source of exp, so comparing with single attacks is probably not a good idea. However, even with power attacks and fighting dragons, the best monstrous source of exp, you get 2.86 exp per stamina, or 1.43 exp per stat point. But if all you want is to level up as fast as possible, there's a quest with 1.75 exp per stat point. That's better than any monsters out there. But again, you skip on free SPs for completing quests.

EDIT: But dragons use stamina, and quests use energy, so nothing prevents you from doing both. ;)

Anyway, if a monster hurts you badly, you can heal yourself just spending a little of money. I'd prefer to spend that money better than spend skill points on defense, but that's only my opinion.
It's not about healing yourself, but the ship/castle. So with only 250 defense, my 2000 energy can heal for 4,000,000 instead of only 1,000,000. If I wanted 4,000,000 from just energy, I'd need 8000 energy, which is a looot more than just 250 skill points.

Your last 2 points are OK, I agree with you there. But note that following this guide you could start attacking other players when you´re roughly at level 100. I just say that you should first improve your energy/stamina, and then your attack, before trying to play PvP; until that time, you should focus on PvM and questing... if you're a busy player. ;-)
I'm all for prioritizing energy and stamina first. I haven't started PvP yet, and I'm level 329. But attack and defense aren't just for PvP, and even with a small army they can be useful. I get that this guide is for newbies, but at what point does one stop being a newbie? If you suggest defense is useless, you might induce some players in error.

verence
06-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Deriam: Thank you. But you're talking about fighting Ragnarok and wining 5000 invasions, while I'm talking about what a new, busy player could do to make the most of his time while playing CA. Do you really think that raising energy/stamina and then attack is a bad idea for them?

RAUKO: OK, I don't want to misinform newbies. Maybe you should explain that points to me, and then I could correct my guide? Or maybe you want me to play CA for 2 years, and by that time the rules will have changed and all my experience will mean nothing because I will be playing with new rules?

Anyway, if you and other experts really think that what I'm saying is not useful for new, busy players, I'll be glad to recognize my mistake and edit the first message.

verence
06-13-2010, 11:13 PM
EpiQC: thank you so much for your detailed explanations. Now I can see I was wrong thinking that defense is only useful for PvP; i'll edit my first message to remove that part.

EpiQC
06-13-2010, 11:14 PM
No, it's a good guide. I don't think what RAUKO wrote was really necessary. But you should still take some advice from other players. I'm just trying to help you perfect your guide.

Deriam
06-13-2010, 11:17 PM
No its true one should start getting there energy and stamina up first, but totaly disagree all point after should go to attack (disregard this, last two post wasnt there when I wrote this :))

and you mentioned 250 defense should be regarded as newbie however you suggest 300 energy and stamina which needs a total of 900 skill points ^^

one thing also I find you miss informing is your demi blessings, they should be spread out at first so you have it easier to do the first 2-3 quest and sub quest of each path for faster skill points

EpiQC
06-13-2010, 11:19 PM
one thing also I find you miss informing is your demi blessings, they should be spread out at first so you have it easier to do the first 2-3 quest and sub quest of each path for faster skill points
Ya, especially true since the demi items aren't the best in slot anymore. But Azeron for a very busy player is good, because you only have to pray once every two days.

verence
06-13-2010, 11:33 PM
No, it's a good guide. I don't think what RAUKO wrote was really necessary. But you should still take some advice from other players. I'm just trying to help you perfect your guide.Of course, don't worry. When I said "remove" I should have said "modify", which is what I've done. :-)

and you mentioned 250 defense should be regarded as newbie however you suggest 300 energy and stamina which needs a total of 900 skill points ^^Mmmm, not exactly. I'm thinking of busy players that have 10/10/10/10 and don't know what to focus on next. I suggest they get 300 in energy and stamina before thinking in raising their attack/defense. Of course, when they get 300/300 they won't be newbies anymore, but they are now.

one thing also I find you miss informing is your demi blessings, they should be spread out at first so you have it easier to do the first 2-3 quest and sub quest of each path for faster skill pointsGood point there. I'll add it. Thanks!

Caissa's DeathAngel
06-13-2010, 11:52 PM
It's a basic point, but could do to be added - never, ever, for any reason whatsoever put so much as a single skill point into health. It's noted briefly, but probably needs a bit more emphasis. Many a new player has made themselves needlessly vulnerable by thinking that health is a good stat to point points into

That might increase, but only through praying to Aurora (which is admittedly a good idea early on for the demi quests and the best amulet in the game that doesn't requiring summoning an Azriel to get, but spreading out is still the best policy for the other demi quests).

Mercedes isn't the only option for when logging off by the way - Celesta, when fully levelled, means a free 22 defence added when attacked which, especially when your defence stat is now, could be the difference between winning or losing challenges against you.