PDA

View Full Version : Proper Hunting habits?

izmirlian
06-04-2010, 03:35 PM
currently im a lvl 110 daily player

300 max energy
156 max stamina (stop'd at 150 demi blessings keep raising it)
244 attack (i only really use zarevok when i fight so +20 attack there stopping at 300 attack)
36 defense (working on attack at the moment will work on defense when at 300)
102 max health (only through demi blessings will i raise it)

I tend to blow all of my stamina per level on 1 monster, i level 2 times a day on average.

Seeing how my habits are developing im just curious where I should actually be focusing on attacking for my current level. Which monsters should i look at fighting at the current moment that would make it more beneficial than a chance at taking on a world monster that may or not make it. Currently I've been trying to hit the range of cronus, azriel (who doesnt?) ragnarok, genesis,
a few bahamuts.

When i attack a monster gear i have is as follows

Weapon : Genesis Sword [+20 damage]
Off-Hand : Purgatory [+30 damage]
Helmet : Helm of Dragon Power [+30 damage]
Armor : Zealot Robes [+25 damage]
Amulet : Blazerune Necklace [+9 damage]
Spell : Skullfire [+16 damage]
Glove : Icy Handguards [+5 damage]

Also barbarus looks sexy yes no? would buying him and the helm (got the FP) be worth spending the FP on. Abilities: Increase Power Attacks up to 3x and helm is +1% crit or would deathbellow be better?

06-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Go for:
- skaar until you get the Deathrune Hellplate (best in game armor)
- lotus for the Death Touch Gauntlet (best in game gauntlet)
- finish all the achievements

... and after that go for bahamuts or azriels, hopefully they'll add some achievements for them by then. :)

Also barbarus looks sexy yes no? would buying him and the helm (got the FP) be worth spending the FP on. Abilities: Increase Power Attacks up to 3x and helm is +1% crit or would deathbellow be better?

In my opinion the most useful monthly general so far... please buy him so when you attack azriel you don't crush the party's health with weak attack like a lot of low level players are and whey you hit a critical you'll be VERY happy you got him :)

igtenos
06-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Focus on Dragons and Cronus. You want those achievements. Then focus on BotDL/Skaar/Genesis until you get those done.

I would avoid the next gen monsters (alpha and azriel) until you get those done. They'll also net you some slightly better loot.

isaluteyou
06-04-2010, 04:37 PM
hit keira for achievment. very easy to do that 1. Then dragons for achievment. Lots of xp from them too. Go for lotus as well. Hopefully you will snag death touch along the way.

Get your att to 400 and deff to 200.

izmirlian
06-04-2010, 04:43 PM
thanks for the advice, and yes shortly after i posted that i realized that barbarus was a mini orc king, 3x crit on a serpent did very nice damage :)

thanks for advice about attack, going to 400 instead of 300 will make a difference noticeable difference

didn't think about the achievement for kiera, ill definately look into it as well as the dragon achievements (100k min damage is easy to hit just 3 attacks with barbarus and im over the min damage mark unless i manage to crit -.-)

TanithTT
06-04-2010, 05:06 PM
I'd add going for Ragnarok to get Thawing Star amulet and Frost Bolt spell into that mix, maybe another Genesis or two to get Hands of Bounty (slightly inferior to DTG from Lotus, but much easier to obtain)

icollyer
06-04-2010, 05:35 PM
thanks for the advice, and yes shortly after i posted that i realized that barbarus was a mini orc king, 3x crit on a serpent did very nice damage :)

Best, monthly, general, EVER!

thanks for advice about attack, going to 400 instead of 300 will make a difference noticeable difference

More attack never hurts, but I'd add to your stamina too, 150ish is low for a hunter.

didn't think about the achievement for kiera, ill definately look into it as well as the dragon achievements (100k min damage is easy to hit just 3 attacks with barbarus and im over the min damage mark unless i manage to crit -.-)

Looks like you haven't fought many dragons, you'll hit for a LOT less than you expect. Still worth getting all the monster achievements though.

Foehammer
06-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Honestly, hunting habits really depend on what your goals are. At level 110, dragon loot is almost worthless except for the Helm of Dragon Power pieces. They're generally good for getting Favor Points for recharges, but at level 110 you shouldn't be worrying about that yet. Chronus is OK if you need higher units for your army, since most of the Chronus drops are heads and whatnot. Lotus has some OK stuff, and her Death Touch Gauntlets are best in game gloves--but sorta hard to get.

Personally, I would focus on Skaar right now. He's a World Monster, unlike Keira and Lotus, and has good loot like Bahamut, Genesis, Ragnarok and Azriel, but is generally easier to kill. PLUS, all you have to do to summon him is do his boss quest. Trade your eggs in at the Goblin Emporium, and join other people's battles.... trust me, they won't mind.

But, in the end, you have to do a bit of cherry picking. Going to one of the monster boards and clicking on a Chronus with 90% life left and 8 hours to go... YEAH, YOU MIGHT WANNA SKIP THAT ONE.

And use your energy to POWER QUEST, don't waste it on monsters.... unless you've already done all the easier lower level quests (i.e. Demis, Land of Fire/Earth, etc).

Foehammer
06-04-2010, 06:24 PM
One more thing... since your Stamina is low, but your attack is high.... I would do serpents before dragons.

Serpents have better loot, will still drop FPs, will unlock Atlantis, which will unlock Nautica, and tend to die quickly. When they first came out, it was like Christmas... actually, it WAS Christmas... and we loved it.

izmirlian
06-04-2010, 06:51 PM
One more thing... since your Stamina is low, but your attack is high.... I would do serpents before dragons.

Serpents have better loot, will still drop FPs, will unlock Atlantis, which will unlock Nautica, and tend to die quickly. When they first came out, it was like Christmas... actually, it WAS Christmas... and we loved it.

i was gonna go to 300 stamina instead of working on attack but i wanted to get my attack up first -.-, i do plan on getting 300 stamina after im done getting my attack to 400 (doing azeron blessings every other day is slowly raising that stamina)

izmirlian
06-04-2010, 06:54 PM
And use your energy to POWER QUEST, don't waste it on monsters.... unless you've already done all the easier lower level quests (i.e. Demis, Land of Fire/Earth, etc).

yea i only use my energy on quests screw the world bosses that need to cripple or heal or what ever needs energy, thats what bigger people are for right? :P

Foehammer
06-05-2010, 12:49 AM
i was gonna go to 300 stamina instead of working on attack but i wanted to get my attack up first -.-, i do plan on getting 300 stamina after im done getting my attack to 400 (doing azeron blessings every other day is slowly raising that stamina)

The path you are taking will make leveling a lot slower. Personally, I would put all my points into Stamina right now and just take the dailies in Attack. Or, more Stamina? I mean, when you have characters out there like Orlando (click on the link I'm gonna provide), your BSI just doesn't matter.

Of course, the Sword of Redemption is probably what you're after in Azeron. But if you have it already, switch to Malekus.

But do what you want. Looks like you're going for a PvP build, which is fine. You probably kick ass in Deathrune Raids at that level with your stats. :D

Orlando's Keep (Just for fun, Invade him and check out his numbers...)
http://apps.facebook.com/castle_age/keep.php?user=1141524924

izmirlian
06-05-2010, 01:03 AM
The path you are taking will make leveling a lot slower. Personally, I would put all my points into Stamina right now and just take the dailies in Attack. Or, more Stamina? I mean, when you have characters out there like Orlando (click on the link I'm gonna provide), your BSI just doesn't matter.

Of course, the Sword of Redemption is probably what you're after in Azeron. But if you have it already, switch to Malekus.

But do what you want. Looks like you're going for a PvP build, which is fine. You probably kick ass in Deathrune Raids at that level with your stats. :D

actually im building my character into a monster hunter, i just wanted to hit that certain mark before building up back on stamina (the one that will promise better lewt's faster while leveling which i was aiming for 200-300 so im in the next attack bracket, ill give orlando a shot ;) and yes im going to azeron for the sword of redemtion then ill be doing my blessings in attack while working on stamina from sp's.

W.G.V
06-05-2010, 01:42 AM
I am level 173 with 900 energy lol I decided to switch to monster hunter after I hit that mark because I can get the extra skill points from completing quests and I can also fortify like crazy :D one time I leveled I had 30 skill points to spend because of quests :eek:

izmirlian
06-05-2010, 03:12 AM
I am level 173 with 900 energy lol I decided to switch to monster hunter after I hit that mark because I can get the extra skill points from completing quests and I can also fortify like crazy :D one time I leveled I had 30 skill points to spend because of quests :eek:

yea if i had that amount of energy invested i would definately be able to hit quests hardcore and finish alot of them.

Foehammer you say that a monster hunter would put more effort into stamina, what exactly do you mean? If you put most of your points into stamina, when is the cutoff to start spending points into attack?

jdavis6
06-05-2010, 04:20 AM
yea if i had that amount of energy invested i would definately be able to hit quests hardcore and finish alot of them.

Foehammer you say that a monster hunter would put more effort into stamina, what exactly do you mean? If you put most of your points into stamina, when is the cutoff to start spending points into attack?

You start putting points into attack when you start earning enough FP to refill your stamina for as many levelups as you care to do in a day. Monster Life can be damage based (e.g. Cronus ~123,000,000 dmg) or Stamina based (eg Red Dragon 5000 stamina). Loot payouts seem to be stamina based for both types - as you add to attack you get fewer rewards for a given damage level. So while adding to attack makes it easier to get achievments, it makes it harder to get loot. Attack/Defense helps on the PvP side, but not on the monster hunting side.

Draconus
06-05-2010, 05:24 AM

I would have to say, without ever having seen the OP's reply to this same statement, there was little chance the OP had PvP in mind for his build. Monster Hunter certainly, Quester possibly. A respectable Attack but effectively 0 Defense. At only 40 levels above the OP I enjoy nearly triple the total Attack and Defense (540 and 539 respectively).

My advise would be to make use of that large Energy in Quests and Demi Quests and use the stat points gained to boost Defense, Attack, and Stamina in that order. Get Defense to at least 200, and 300 would not be out of the question. While doing that, try to avoid battles that require defending or check first with a friend already in that battle to ensure they are willing and able to cover your end of the health bar. Being, or becoming, known as one who will pound the health bar into the ground while expecting everyone else to cover for you is likely to make you a very unpopular person in most battles. While I haven't done so myself, I do know of some few PvP builds that appear to take pleasure from bookmarking and chaining known non-defenders right alongside of taggers. Just not good business. Get enough Defense built up so that energy helps you in battles.

Foehammer
06-05-2010, 06:25 AM
I would have to say, without ever having seen the OP's reply to this same statement, there was little chance the OP had PvP in mind for his build. Monster Hunter certainly, Quester possibly. A respectable Attack but effectively 0 Defense. At only 40 levels above the OP I enjoy nearly triple the total Attack and Defense (540 and 539 respectively).

My advise would be to make use of that large Energy in Quests and Demi Quests and use the stat points gained to boost Defense, Attack, and Stamina in that order. Get Defense to at least 200, and 300 would not be out of the question. While doing that, try to avoid battles that require defending or check first with a friend already in that battle to ensure they are willing and able to cover your end of the health bar. Being, or becoming, known as one who will pound the health bar into the ground while expecting everyone else to cover for you is likely to make you a very unpopular person in most battles. While I haven't done so myself, I do know of some few PvP builds that appear to take pleasure from bookmarking and chaining known non-defenders right alongside of taggers. Just not good business. Get enough Defense built up so that energy helps you in battles.

Draconus, doesn't 70% of attack automatically apply to defense? I know many people that PvP after the change in combat mechanics and invest virtually nothing in "defense" and all in attack. If I have 300 in Attack, and 0 in defense, my actual defense rating is 210 is it not???

Also, with 500s in Attack and Defense, you're definitely stronger. But if you are 150, what is your energy and stam look like??? Wouldn't it be right around 120?? I'm a General, have no problem taking out a few Barons, and only have 300 attack and about 75 defense. Just a full army with decent units, crushing duelers with small armies. I would probably by much higher than General right now, but haven't really PvP'd since Arena and find it rather boring. Quests and Monsters are far more interesting for me... just don't care about Archangels our High King Crowns I guess.

the_hunter
06-05-2010, 10:45 AM
listen to all he's saying but this one. that's incredibly selfish. if you decide to jump into monster that needs energy, you better use your energy n take a little break from your questing. otherwise do not join these battles, you'll just be an annoying burden for the team.

Foehammer
06-05-2010, 02:29 PM
listen to all he's saying but this one. that's incredibly selfish. if you decide to jump into monster that needs energy, you better use your energy n take a little break from your questing. otherwise do not join these battles, you'll just be an annoying burden for the team.

Well, I told him to focus on Skaar. So the energy bit isn't as critical as for serpents and what not.

Also, if he invests in Barbarus, he can almost save most of his energy and consider it a break even.

If he wanted advice on how to be a "Team Player," I would have given him that. Personally, I always invest at least a little energy into each monster I hit up... but usually there's some Power Quester who's done and does most of the work for the party. At 110, except on serpents, his energy contributions aren't really that big of a deal.

But maybe I'll just post a link to my Keep so you guys can just chain for the next few months....
:p

Foehammer
06-05-2010, 02:33 PM
And, to set the record straight, I simply told him not to invest energy into monsters while all of his lower level quests were still done (i.e. Land of Fire, Demis). That, combined with my advice to focus on Skaar, who's mana shield is somewhat negligible.... I don't think I'm giving him bad advice.

Certainly, once you have completed the easy Land of Fire and demi quests, then use some energy on the monster fights. Nobody likes a selfish player.

Draconus
06-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Draconus, doesn't 70% of attack automatically apply to defense? I know many people that PvP after the change in combat mechanics and invest virtually nothing in "defense" and all in attack. If I have 300 in Attack, and 0 in defense, my actual defense rating is 210 is it not???

Also, with 500s in Attack and Defense, you're definitely stronger. But if you are 150, what is your energy and stam look like??? Wouldn't it be right around 120?? I'm a General, have no problem taking out a few Barons, and only have 300 attack and about 75 defense. Just a full army with decent units, crushing duelers with small armies. I would probably by much higher than General right now, but haven't really PvP'd since Arena and find it rather boring. Quests and Monsters are far more interesting for me... just don't care about Archangels our High King Crowns I guess.

"Draconus", level 155 Baron
144 Max Energy -- Do more quests
95 Max Stamina -- Launch attacks! (cost 2)
542 Attack -- Offensive might
542 Defense -- Defense power
100 Max Health -- Withstand attacks
+ 1401 Army Size -- Take more soldiers into battle

Quests Completed 4456
Battles/Wars Won 7459
Battles/Wars Lost 473
Times eliminated 2
Times you eliminated an enemy 52

Yes, I'm built for PvP, which includes much lower Stamina and Energy then most enjoy. And yes, 70% of your Attack gets used as Defense, but that appears to only apply to PvP Battles and not in Monster Battles. While quite a few of the monsters now account for the Defense stat, you must have the points actually in Defense if you want the results. While You can gain BP's by attacking small army Duelers and such, I gain BP's by both Dueling and Invading. And for the most part I don't worry about the army size of my opponent, only the battle rank. Occasionally I'll Duel a Large Army player or Invade a Small Army player for no other reason then to try and get them to come retaliate. The Large Army player assumes I have a small or weak army because I used Duel against them. They come to invade and get a surprise (the weakest soldier I bring to an invasion is an Archangel). The reverse applies to that small army I invaded, many will assume I depend upon that massive army to win so they try to Duel me. And most get a surprise on arrival to find I not only have a decent general, but also have better then average equipment for dueling and the stats to go with them.

There are a few out there capable of defeating me, and a very few capable of defeating me in Duels and Invasions both. But they are few and far between. Monster Hunters, Power Levelers, and all of the assorted Hybrids can and do achieve high battle rank. Even reaching High King rank is not out of the question. And meeting a pure PvP (or even near pure) build happens less and less often as the levels increase. By far the largest percentage of the losses I see in my battle news feed are from much higher levels (80, 90, 100 or more levels above my own) stepping outside from the normal battle page and acting the part of Troll. And even then most of those I can return the favor easily due to them having little or no defense beyond the 70% of Attack.