PDA

View Full Version : I'd love to grow my army, but...

Gilaim
05-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Hey all. Pretty new here and new to facebook.

My army is 4. I'd love to grow my army, but the privacy settings really confuse me. I've searched and searched, but I don't know if I can get things right, so I was wondering if someone could help me.

Basically, I don't want 500 people having access to my personal profile and spamming my wall. I have set up a "castle age" friend list. I've worked on restricting profile access, but the options I don't know if I'm doing correctly. I can no longer see CTA requests for the 1 person I added so far on my wall, but I can see his comments to other people's status on my main wall. If I click on castle age, I don't see his CTA requests.

Here is my goal:

I want to just have a separate group, where I can filter Castle Age friends into that group and only have their CTA requests or other CA spam stuff filter to that "friend list wall". Is there a way to do this? How do you all handle this stuff? I've read several threads here, but either I can't find the options they're talking about, or I'm just doing it wrong.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: OK, so the guy from the monster fight that sent me the invite that prompted all this that I was trying to test it with is now gone, so he probably defriended me. I sent him a gift request to get him in my army, but there's no accept. Did I mess up the army request or did I just get used? lol

05-21-2010, 05:30 PM
first off make a new group (I called it "CA", very imaginative), after that go to "account => privacy settings => personal information and posts" and then change everything to Friends Only; Except: CA and add all new CA friends to that group :)

Rutherford
05-21-2010, 05:38 PM
For the egregious cases, remember that you can remove somebody from your friends and they will continue to stay in your army.

Frank Cadena
05-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Remember, if you put someone in two or more lists, the more restrictive setting, when you set who can or cannot see a post, will take precedence.

Example:

I have 4 lists. "Friends", "Family", "Castle Age" and "The Agency:Covert OPs". I have people in both "Friends" and "Castle Age". For infomation that I make available for friends and family, I set the setting "Only let these people see" to "Friends" and "Family". If I set it to "Don't let these people see" to "Castle Age" and "The Agency:Covert OPs" instead, my friends who are also in the "Castle Age" list won't be able to see my info because cannot see is more restrictive than can see.

Get it? Sorry if my explanation is confusing. I have problem ordering my thoughts and putting them into words sometimes.

Gilaim
05-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Frank, I see what you're saying and it makes sense. I didn't know it worked like that at all. That kinda stinks, because my sister is in my castle age army and I'd like to group her in there, but I don't want to restrict her access to my profile.

It seems to be working for now, I think...

So, does each friend list have it's own news feed? If I "hide" castle age on my main news feed, will that hide it when I click on the "castle age" friend list? With a large army, I can definitely see my wall getting completely flooded with CTA requests and such. I want to see them, but just not on my main wall. Is that an application specific setting or something?

EDIT: I feel freaking stupid right now. I just friended someone from the "add me" thread, put him in my castle age group, and now my wall is completely flooded with "he is now friends with...". Can I turn that off? Why is it not filtering out of my wall if he is in my castle age group only?

Kage Cow
05-21-2010, 11:59 PM
my sister is in my castle age army and I'd like to group her in there, but I don't want to restrict her access to my profile.

Create another group where you can apply restrictions. I have a "Restricted" group for this purpose.

So, does each friend list have it's own news feed?

yes, but you can hide them.

If I "hide" castle age on my main news feed, will that hide it when I click on the "castle age" friend list?
With a large army, I can definitely see my wall getting completely flooded with CTA requests and such. I want to see them, but just not on my main wall. Is that an application specific setting or something?

You can also hide Castle age then view feeds through the game. Note that you will miss some posts, but I don't think it would matter. :D

EDIT: I feel freaking stupid right now. I just friended someone from the "add me" thread, put him in my castle age group, and now my wall is completely flooded with "he is now friends with...". Can I turn that off? Why is it not filtering out of my wall if he is in my castle age group only?
You can hide the specific person and you won't be seeing any of his activity.
The filter only applies to your feeds and activities, it does not apply to activities done by other people. Your activities are not shown to others but facebook will show you the activities of your friends. You can simply hide them from your feeds if it annoys you.

Lord Dufduf
05-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Hey all. Pretty new here and new to facebook.

My army is 4. .....

Here is my goal:

I want to just have a separate group, where I can filter Castle Age friends into that group and only have their CTA requests or other CA spam stuff filter to that "friend list wall". Is there a way to do this? How do you all handle this stuff? I've read several threads here, but either I can't find the options they're talking about, or I'm just doing it wrong.

I find Face Book very limited for this. You generally want to go into Account > Edit friends. This way you can assign everyone to a group, create one, or edit existing ones with out all the feed clutter.

Next

Account > Privacy settings > go through the upper 3. (personal, contact, friends) > click drop down > customize > Hide this from ....> type name or groups name. (that's why you need to assign a group first)

What I do personally, I just edit friends and create a bunch of groups. CA family, family and friends, guitar, friends2, friends3, hotties, etc. Then from account > edit friends I assign then what applies. Some get one, some 2 or more.

Some time I just want feed from family: Home > (on left) family, etc. This is not privacy it's sanity. I got an army of 2200+. My home page is pages and pages each day. I want them so I can network in CA. I just hide some photo albums, address, phone, everything else I don't care. Never had a problem.

mydragoon
05-25-2010, 01:24 AM
what rutherford said is probably much better...

add them as frenz... add them to army (give gifts)... unfren them. they will stay in your army even after you have un-fren them. :)

alnitak
05-25-2010, 10:08 PM
what rutherford said is probably much better...

add them as frenz... add them to army (give gifts)... unfren them. they will stay in your army even after you have un-fren them. :)

Will I still be able to receive gifts from them? What kind of message do they receive ... "You've been unfriended!"? Can they then drop out of my army?

indeterminate
05-26-2010, 05:01 PM
they wont drop out of your army, but no you cannot receive gifts from them anymore

ark123
05-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Will I still be able to receive gifts from them? What kind of message do they receive ... "You've been unfriended!"? Can they then drop out of my army?

They receive no messages, and trust me, they won't drop off.
I have 545 army and 6 of them are in my friends list.