PDA

View Full Version : General Attack vs Monster Question

Jerdanis
05-18-2010, 01:31 AM
So I currently have about 125 attack and 35 defense, not including general and items, but I keep reading that there are cutoffs that make a difference when attacking monsters when it comes to attack and defense, but I can't seem to find anything on here as to what those cutoffs are and what they do. Can anyone explain?

Azraelswrd
05-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Eh, don't worry about cutoffs. Just use your best general (ie. the one that increases the player attack stat without hurting the player defense stat) and you'll be fine for damage. Keep in mind that monsters react differently.

Sylvanas, Dragons = never use a general with a defense penalty
Kiera = Zarevok does the best damage against her
all other monsters = use the general with the biggest attack modifier

iesous
05-19-2010, 04:03 AM

why cant we use a general with defense penalty for both sylyanas and dragons?

Azraelswrd
05-19-2010, 04:06 AM
You can but they tend to underperform against them as compared with a general with no defense penalty and similar attack bonuses.

Classic comparison is Zarevok (+20 p.atk) and Vanquish (+20 p.atk, -25 p.def). Use them both on dragons and Sylvanas. You should see after a few hits that one does better than the other. Since the only differences are in their general stats (Vanquish has higher attack and defense g.stats) and the defense modifier (Vanquish has a -25 p.def), the defense modifier must be to blame.

Maybe "never" was too harsh. You can use whoever you like. Personally, I prefer to use the general that makes the most out of the stamina I'm putting in.

Draconus
05-19-2010, 05:58 AM
So I currently have about 125 attack and 35 defense, not including general and items, but I keep reading that there are cutoffs that make a difference when attacking monsters when it comes to attack and defense, but I can't seem to find anything on here as to what those cutoffs are and what they do. Can anyone explain?

I think these Cut Offs mentioned are the damage tiers. Once your attack or defense reach 200 you will see a serious increase in the damage done for attacks or the healing, whatever, done for defending in a monster battle. The tiers appear to be set about every 200 plus or minus. There has been a good bit of variance reported.

Azraelswrd
05-19-2010, 06:21 AM
Yeah, but those "tiers" don't seem to be uniform (do they even apply to anything beyond serps and DTC?) and have been changing. Hence why I don't try and put too much faith in relying on any one set value but instead just encourage people to play their game. Try to help out the cause and do not do more harm than good.

Patrick D
05-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Classic comparison is Zarevok (+20 p.atk) and Vanquish (+20 p.atk, -25 p.def). Use them both on dragons and Sylvanas. You should see after a few hits that one does better than the other. Since the only differences are in their general stats (Vanquish has higher attack and defense g.stats) and the defense modifier (Vanquish has a -25 p.def), the defense modifier must be to blame.

Actually this is not the case, I have tested it and my conclusion is that the bonus to player attack from generals does not work on dragons. Also the level of your general does not matter, a level 1 Vanquish does exactly the same damage on a dragon as a level 4 Vanquish. The +20 bonus on monsters on Zarevok however does work, so that's why he is doing so well compared to the others. :) The defense penalty from generals however has no impact whatsoever on the damage they do on dragons.

LadyElvira
05-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Actually this is not the case, I have tested it and my conclusion is that the bonus to player attack from generals does not work on dragons. Also the level of your general does not matter, a level 1 Vanquish does exactly the same damage on a dragon as a level 4 Vanquish. The +20 bonus on monsters on Zarevok however does work, so that's why he is doing so well compared to the others. :) The defense penalty from generals however has no impact whatsoever on the damage they do on dragons.

I agree I have tested this and found that it doesn't matter what level your General is, and the defense penalty I found really hasn't done anything, not even when taking damage. I have yet to see any change if I have any penalty in defense vs when I do.

Icicle Fang
05-19-2010, 05:47 PM

Could it be because the bonus +p.att is not so much to make a big difference?

Has anyone tried it using, say, Azriel with a full +40 p.att bonus from Archangels amassed?

Just curious.

Azraelswrd
05-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Ah that makes sense. Like I said, dragons are weird, plus they're old so the equations they run are definitely NOT the same for any other monster. Just look at they compare against boss and world monsters.

Josh Rottschaefer
05-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Eh, don't worry about cutoffs. Just use your best general (ie. the one that increases the player attack stat without hurting the player defense stat) and you'll be fine for damage. Keep in mind that monsters react differently.

Kiera = Zarevok does the best damage against her
all other monsters = use the general with the biggest attack modifier

If you are going to include FP generals then I would recommend any Crit booster vs Keira instead of Zarevok. Zar does slightly higher damage per hit, but since Keira's Crits are better than the standard 2x and 3x, Slayer and co actually outperform all other Generals with 3x and 4x damage Keira's Crits give. I have even heard of someone getting 5x Crits, but haven't experienced it myself (and won't since I hate her more than I hate Zynga)