PDA

View Full Version : New Games to Play....PC

rklhughes
03-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Hey all, I am looking for a new game to play.

I just downloaded and cracked Dragon Age, it is not to bad but I am not sure I really like the play style. I am looking for games that fall more along the lines of Fable, Diablo, etc...

Any Suggestions?

Tokolosk
03-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Mass Effect 2 (and 1 if you have not played it, your saved game from 1 can be imported into 2).

I also play EVE Online, which while it has a monthly subscription is an immensely fun pvp game but has more carebearish parts to it too if you prefer.

rklhughes
03-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I am not really into the shooting games. I like taking a sword and hacking **** apart, lol. Or casting a spell to blow up a goblin or two. I have always prefered the fantasy type games vs the war games. Not sure exactly what Mass Effect is though so I guess I will google that one real quick.

After I quit world of warcraft I swore that I would never fall victim to another online multiplayer game, lol.

Mega-Douche
03-05-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm not too keen on new games, but my favorite old games are as follows (not in any specific order):

1) Fallout: a post-apocalyptic role playing game using the SPECIAL system and a third person omniscient view. The Fallout universe runs on an alternate time-line where in the 50s nuclear war occurred, so there are guns, laser pistols, power armor, things of that nature. The graphics aren't top notch and there are several glitches, but the game is cheap with a strong plot line. You can buy this in a double pack with Fallout 2 or a triple pack with Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics for $20 or less.

2) Fallout 2: a post-apocalyptic role playing game using the SPECIAL system. The graphics are similar with Fallout 1. It has a weaker storyline, but much more things to do with a lot less bugs.

3) Fallout Tactics: a post-apocalyptic tactical game. Graphics are similar with the previous Fallout games, but instead of a role playing game it is a tactical game. You use a 6 man team to clear maps of enemies and gain intel. for a well rounded plot line.

4) Morrowind: a first person role playing game with a very good plot line. This is a first person swords and magic, hack and slash game, fairly simple but the plot line is overwhelming and well-thought. It has two expansion packs and several downloads on the Bethseda website. This game with all of it's expansions runs at around $20.

5) Oblivion: this is a sequel to Morrowind. The plot is not as good, but the game play is a lot more advanced with better graphics. This game also has several expansions (some of them do not function correctly) and runs at $40-$60 including all expansions/downloads. Could be cheaper if you do your research.

6) Fable: another hack-and-slash swords and magic role playing game that leans toward arcade-style fighting. A decent plot device, very pretty graphics and serene music. This game (including expansions) runs at around $20

7) Fallout 3: I have a hard time recommending this game because of it's poor plot line (way worse than the previous Fallout games) but the gameplay/graphics are very good. Instead of a third person omniscient, it is a first person shooter where you build stats using the SPECIAL system. If it wasn't a Fallout sequel I wouldn't have a hard time recommending it. This game is very expensive. Including expansions, it will cost a good $60-$90 (again, could be cheaper if you do research). The game was made by Bethesda (creators of Morrowind and Oblivion) and in my opinion is a sell-out on the Fallout franchise. Still, it is fun.

As a warning, Fallout 1 and 2 have several errors if you run them on a computer that uses Windows Vista/Windows 7 (the game has inverted colors). There are several downloads that correct the issue, but it is a lot less hassle if you just run the game on XP or lower (maybe an old laptop?). A similar issue occurs with Morrowind where the sun blacks out and looks like a void, but this is simple to correct if you look up the error online.

sarie
03-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Tetris. 'nuff said. :]

rklhughes
03-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Tetris. 'nuff said. :]

Dude, I play Tetris all the time on my Ipod.

lol

I guess I should stick to the old greats and go play some cow level :)

Mega-Douche
03-05-2010, 07:21 PM
That reminds me, I forgot all about Diablo I and II. Looks like that's what I am playing after my "Stupid" Fallout character.

odysseuspike
03-05-2010, 07:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXILzS03HCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX_JV_Q3YX0&feature=related

rklhughes
03-05-2010, 08:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXILzS03HCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX_JV_Q3YX0&feature=related

Downloading Cabal right now, I will be defiantly trying out Trine as well. Thank you!!!!

odysseuspike
03-05-2010, 08:16 PM
your welcome

NerdAlert
03-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Cowplow777/777 have leg need maker. No king plzzzz!!!!

Echo 41011
03-05-2010, 08:35 PM
5) Oblivion: this is a sequel to Morrowind. The plot is not as good, but the game play is a lot more advanced with better graphics. This game also has several expansions (some of them do not function correctly) and runs at $40-$60 including all expansions/downloads. Could be cheaper if you do your research.

7) Fallout 3: I have a hard time recommending this game because of it's poor plot line (way worse than the previous Fallout games) but the gameplay/graphics are very good. Instead of a third person omniscient, it is a first person shooter where you build stats using the SPECIAL system. If it wasn't a Fallout sequel I wouldn't have a hard time recommending it. This game is very expensive. Including expansions, it will cost a good $60-$90 (again, could be cheaper if you do research). The game was made by Bethesda (creators of Morrowind and Oblivion) and in my opinion is a sell-out on the Fallout franchise. Still, it is fun.

Get the Game of the Year editions for both of these as they are cheapest and have all the expansions included. For Oblivion, it was worth playing through the main story just to get to play the Shivering Isles expansion. That was worth the price right there.

the_hunter
03-05-2010, 08:48 PM
if you like rpg, i'm sure you'll enjoy Laxius Power... alot. it consist of 3 series, n the save file can be imported for the next serial. the game size is small, plus it's free download! you can search n download it here: http://www.laxiusforce.org/phpbb3/index.php .try other games available there too!

Abysmal Alan
03-05-2010, 09:34 PM
4) Morrowind:
5) Oblivion:

Word. Engrossing hack'n'slash with fun spells/enchantments/potions.
Gorgeous visuals and grim plots.

If Dragon Age:Origins was tolerable, and you had fun with Morrigan, I can't stress enuff that you should try Baldur's Gate 2. Old, old school d&d hack'n'slash with psychotic mage battles. And the nasty love interest is truly evil, not faux-evil like Ms Claudia. Good times.

If you like mindless fun, there's always Runescape LOL.

Maeslin
03-05-2010, 10:34 PM
PORTAL 2 (http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/03/05/april-cover-revealed.aspx) :eek::D

'nuff said.

Out in a few months.

I'm making a note here:
HUGE SUCCESS

It's hard to overstate
my satisfaction. :D

Mega-Douche
03-05-2010, 10:57 PM
PORTAL 2 (http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/03/05/april-cover-revealed.aspx) :eek::D

'nuff said.

Out in a few months.

I'm making a note here:
HUGE SUCCESS

It's hard to overstate
my satisfaction. :D

The thing is... I don't even like cake.

The Lord of the Files
03-05-2010, 11:31 PM
6) Fable: another hack-and-slash swords and magic role playing game that leans toward arcade-style fighting. A decent plot device, very pretty graphics and serene music. This game (including expansions) runs at around $20

Seconded. Fable 2 is also good times, but still expensive.

I've got F3 for my xbox, and as someone who never played any of the earlier games in the franchise, I thinks it's freaking FANTASTIC. I've totally enjoyed the several hundred hours I've spent playing Fallout 3. If you can find it, there is a game of the year edition of F3 that includes all of the expansions. I paid about 60 bucks for mine, and it was WELL worth the money. I'm not a big fan of shooters, normally, but this isn't exactly a fragfest, it's much slower paced than your average shooter, and there is so much content that if you can resist the urge to look things up, it would take you a ridiculous amount of time to see and do everything there is to see.

As for older PC games along the fantasy line you were asking about, I'd suggest:

Planescape: Torment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgqX82-HRYE) (my fave of the D&D franchise)
Dink Smallwood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6B6lWAL6qw) (Go ahead and laugh, but this game rocks.)
Angband (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvZhkRkEoZc) (Yeah, this looked lame at first. 17 years later, I still play it.)

If you are AT ALL inclined towards scifi games, and RTS scifi in particular, I highly reccomend that you try Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c1ceMJSN28). It doesn't really stand up to EVE online, for depth of play, but it's a fantastic alternative if you don't want to pay a subscrip fee. SOASE online play is loads of fun, and very well designed.

Also in the scifi realm, I recomend:

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo) which has a boatload of expansions, and a sequal, all of which are a lot of fun, and have a huge player base for online PvP.

You already know where to look for games, so I won't teach you to suck eggs. All of these are available in the places you would normally look, except for Angband and Dink Smallwood, which are free.

The Lord of the Files
03-05-2010, 11:32 PM
The thing is... I don't even like cake.

Mmmm. Don't worry...the cake is a lie.

Abysmal Alan
03-06-2010, 12:20 AM
PORTAL 2

At the end of the experiment, you'll be baked... and-then-there'll-be ...cake.

Zidovain
03-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Hey all, I am looking for a new game to play.

I just downloaded and cracked Dragon Age, it is not to bad but I am not sure I really like the play style. I am looking for games that fall more along the lines of Fable, Diablo, etc...

Any Suggestions?

The Last Remnant :D

Its not a new game but its a good one.

Tokolosk
03-06-2010, 01:14 AM
Nobody here plays EVE Online?

The Lord of the Files
03-06-2010, 01:24 AM
If you are AT ALL inclined towards scifi games, and RTS scifi in particular, I highly reccomend that you try Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c1ceMJSN28). It doesn't really stand up to EVE online, for depth of play, but it's a fantastic alternative if you don't want to pay a subscrip fee. SOASE online play is loads of fun, and very well designed.

Nobody here plays EVE Online?

:) I played for a little while, but I got tired of giving my money to people. Ditto with World Of Marketingcraft.

Tokolosk
03-06-2010, 01:32 AM
Giving people money? You were doing it wrong :p

The Lord of the Files
03-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Giving people money? You were doing it wrong :p

I usually am. ;)

Valiant Flame
03-06-2010, 05:13 AM
Personally, I have a N64 emulator (Project 64) along with a SNES emulator (snes9x) and I play the Classics like Lufia II, FF IV-VI, Uncharted Waters II, and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

blaza192
03-06-2010, 05:57 AM
I loved The Last Remnant as previously mentioned. I also play Guild Wars which requires a one time payment (online). If you want to try something new, you could try Plant vs. Zombies. I loved it and finished it. If you have the PS3, you could also try Demon's Souls(played), God of War III(not played), Star Ocean IV(not played), Dante's Inferno (not played). Can't really spend my money at the moment and don't want to ask my parents for anything as well. Can't remember any more PC games since I've removed most of them from my computer.

Lena Gkika
03-06-2010, 09:56 PM
well its not new, and its not exactly fantasy, but my fav games have always been No one lives forever:Operative (Nolf 1) and No one l lives for ever:A spy in HARM's way (Nolf 2) trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2piBquttrok

The graphics are mediocre but you get to use lots of fun gear and vehicles, and the game is full of humorous dialogue :) :cool:

Xanofar
03-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I want to play my old Portal game, but it doesn't work on my new computer (a mac).

I'd also like to play Spore, but there's no way I'm letting those greedy money-grubbers at EA Games put their corporate spyware on my computer. :mad:

(and hence, now you all now know one of the many reasons why Spore was the most illegally-downloaded game of 2008 - nobody wanted a legit version because it would hack their computer)

The Lord of the Files
03-06-2010, 10:53 PM
I want to play my old Portal game, but it doesn't work on my new computer (a mac).

I'd also like to play Spore, but there's no way I'm letting those greedy money-grubbers at EA Games put their corporate spyware on my computer. :mad:

(and hence, now you all now know one of the many reasons why Spore was the most illegally-downloaded game of 2008 - nobody wanted a legit version because it would hack their computer)

The answer to your dilemma is here (http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/). It fixes both of those problems. :D

Troublesome
03-07-2010, 01:41 AM
I haven't seen it mentioned but I think Borderlands is a pretty amazing game. In fact, I'm not even sure it gets the credit it deserves. It is an rpg/fps which they are terming rps and the dialog is extremely entertaining in the game. Couple that with the immense 'treasure' hunting including due to a random weapon generation (much like diablo series) and you have a winner in my book. Vehicles, talent trees, gobs of guns that truly do unique things and 4 classes. Also, it's the comic book style of art that I really like. Cell-shading I think? They just released a DLC that is more like an expansion. They added two new vehicles, raised the level cap by 11 and introduced a ton of content to include some new crazy weapons. I dunno, I don't play it all day long but I have played it off and on over the last couple of months and every time I fire it up I think "why don't I play this more?".

Mass Effect 2 was quite good in my opinion. I played it through on Insanity mode from the start which I think increased my enjoyment; it was actually a challenge...very hard.

I loved, loved, loved Fallout 1,2, and tactics but hated 3. I am one of those guys that really misses hexagons (although the new Civ game is going to be hex based I hear).

I also played Diablo 1 and 2 tooooo much and think that Diablo 3 is probably going to take over my life for a couple of years. I think the Diablo series is easily my favorite of all time. If you are looking for some sort of diablo fix you can try torchlight. It's similar and you can buy it on Steam for $20 I think. Similar to a degree..it's more cartoony definitely not as complex but still fun.

Revolver Blast
03-07-2016, 10:14 PM
I'm playing Grim Dawn, freaking awesome and cheap on steam.

Chaos
03-07-2016, 11:21 PM
I recently got a complete used PS2 copy of "Red Dead Revolver" for a dollar. Haven't played it yet, but it looks to be in good shape.

Would like to find a PS2 action rpg with character building similar to the Dark/Demon Souls series. The closest I've seen so far are the Everquest and Boulder's Gate games, but I hate the overhead camera angles they use, and everything else for that system seems turn based.

Revolver Blast
03-08-2016, 06:14 AM
Chaos, you should check Shadow of the Colossus and Drakengard.

baoyutaohuagong
03-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Tried Devilian recently, free to play. Dont think I am paying. Quite fun and easy to control and learn.

Chaos
03-10-2016, 01:32 AM
Chaos, you should check Shadow of the Colossus and Drakengard.

Thanks Revolver. Watched a couple opening lp's on them. Both games seem interesting on a story level, but doesn't look like either has much in the way of character developement or stat variation. Pretty much get stuck as the same character and build type, from what I saw. :(