PDA

View Full Version : Are you a fantasy fan?

davidhburton
02-24-2010, 12:04 PM
I know this is WAY off-topic, but I'm releasing my ebook today and I'm giving it away free for a limited time. So if you like fantasy, this might be for you:D.

Here's the book trailer. At the end it tells you where to get the ebook. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsZcFZ2Pv8

Cheers!
David

Exar Kun
02-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks. Are you going to publish it in Spain? I've downloaded it, but if I like it, I'll buy it to show support (but in spanish of course xD)

Oh, and don't worry about the level of off-topicness. This is the off-topic subforum after all.

MarkDavis
02-24-2010, 02:58 PM
The book has an interesting concept. I downloaded and look forward to the read. Thanks David!

FrostByte
02-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Good job i'll say^^

Looking forward for your release. Hope its available in my country. :)

LilKayla
02-24-2010, 04:07 PM
what the hell, its free, I'll give it a look once I'm done with the book I'm currently reading. Hope your book does well for you.

oO☼ﬞ Tricᶄsy-TriӾie ☼ﬞOo
02-24-2010, 04:13 PM
I know this is WAY off-topic, but I'm releasing my ebook today and I'm giving it away free for a limited time. So if you like fantasy, this might be for you:D.

Here's the book trailer. At the end it tells you where to get the ebook. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsZcFZ2Pv8

Cheers!
David

I like it, but I dont like reading ebooks. I want the real one...where will it be stocked?

davidhburton
02-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks all!!

It's not in print yet. My agent and I want to see what sort of response we get as an ebook first and then we'll sort out what we want to do with print rights. I'm hoping it will be received well. :)

Mega-Douche
02-24-2010, 05:04 PM
This book sucks

davidhburton
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
I was waiting for that....

Mega-Douche
02-24-2010, 05:11 PM
I was waiting for that....

Maybe if you didn't openly acknowledge how much your book sucks you wouldn't have been waiting for it.

davidhburton
02-24-2010, 05:18 PM
No, I was really only anticipating that from you. :)

Mega-Douche
02-24-2010, 05:22 PM
No, I was really only anticipating that from you. :)

I guess I'm the only person kind enough to tell you the truth. But don't worry... if Harry Potter can make it big, so can you.

I have mixed feelings about writing a book... you see, I first wrote a book when I was 17. It was 355 pages after being completely edited and revised a dozen times. The book took me 56ish hours to write (I logged time spent on it) over the course of one week. The reason I never tried to publish the novel (albeit, people would have LOVED that a 17 year old boy wrote it) is that I didn't think it stood ground compared to such great fantasy novels as Dune or Ender's Game.

I guess what I am trying to say is... I'm not a sell-out. If I do something on a large scale, I want it to be perfect. Or, that's how I felt at the time. Now I'd sell out my own mother if I could.

But I digress; your book sucks.

POST EDIT: one of the flaws with my book was that I never had any life experiences outside of Lansdale Pennsylvania. Before you write your next book you should murder someone. I think murdering your mom or dad might give you an artistic streak-something to inspire the flame of creativity within you.

Tokolosk
02-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Before you write your next book you should murder someone. I think murdering your mom or dad might give you an artistic streak-something to inspire the flame of creativity within you.

What? Life isn't Hollywood.

Edit: With regards to the book:
I've just read the prologue but so far it's too early to tell whether I'll like it or not. The setting [from the video] is certainly interesting and mixing fantasy with religion could be twist to the regular fantasy genre. I might read a few more pages to get a better idea and a less vague critique ;) .

Mega-Douche
02-24-2010, 05:34 PM
What? Life isn't Hollywood.

I'm just trying to give some constructive criticism with my destructive insult. Jesus, give me a break.

davidhburton
02-24-2010, 05:34 PM
I think he's on to something.... :eek:

Mega-Douche
02-24-2010, 06:01 PM
I think he's on to something.... :eek:

Check your private messages when you can. Sometimes people do not notice them-I have something that most likely doesn't appeal to you, NONE-THE-LESS I'd be much obliged if you write me back.

MarkDavis
02-24-2010, 06:26 PM
I have not read this book yet. But Mega-Douche, If you don't have a constructive, informative critique of his work, then back off! "This book sucks!" is juvenile. If you can't put words of critique into intelligent prose, then have a 'Cup of Shut the **** Up' until your superiors have a chance to read a form an opinion.

Mega-Douche
02-24-2010, 06:39 PM
I have not read this book yet. But Mega-Douche, If you don't have a constructive, informative critique of his work, then back off! "This book sucks!" is juvenile. If you can't put words of critique into intelligent prose, then have a 'Cup of Shut the **** Up' until your superiors have a chance to read a form an opinion.

Very clever. Of course, I already mentioned constructive criticism/destructive insults and it is blatantly apparent by what I wrote that I haven't even opened the e-novel. More or less I was mocking the original post, understand?

*Tell me Mr. Mark Davis, do you condone publicizing on a public forum? This isn't a commercial page from what I've gathered... and with your whopping 17 posts, I take it you have no understanding of what is written here. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe you lurk and read every tid-bit of information on the forum, and if this is the case you'd have read and understood the rules/guidelines of this forum.

Although this is only an e-book, the author DOES (as far as I understand it) have novels already published, and it seems that he wants you to buy his other books. But Hell, maybe I'm wrong, maybe he ISN'T advertising his previous novels.*

Either way, saying something "sucks" IS constructive. You can gather a myriad of information by the saying "this sucks" NAMELY that you should make it BETTER.

I also enjoy how you consider yourself my superior. You clearly are a fan of fantasy, and I hope that little thought of fiction lives in your heart forever.

POST EDIT: *all of these assumptions are wrong.

davidhburton
02-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Actually, this is my debut novel. I have no previous works for you to purchase. :rolleyes:

Mega-Douche
02-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Actually, this is my debut novel. I have no previous works for you to purchase. :rolleyes:

Good thing I stated "I could be wrong". Too bad you declined my invite... I would have DESTROYED YOU if not in writing than in arm wrestling or painting or skipping or a mix of all three.

MarkDavis
02-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Very clever. Of course, I already mentioned constructive criticism/destructive insults and it is blatantly apparent by what I wrote that I haven't even opened the e-novel. More or less I was mocking the original post, understand?

Tell me Mr. Mark Davis, do you condone publicizing on a public forum? This isn't a commercial page from what I've gathered... and with your whopping 17 posts, I take it you have no understanding of what is written here. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe you lurk and read every tid-bit of information on the forum, and if this is the case you'd have read and understood the rules/guidelines of this forum.

Although this is only an e-book, the author DOES (as far as I understand it) have novels already published, and it seems that he wants you to buy his other books. But Hell, maybe I'm wrong, maybe he ISN'T advertising his previous novels.

Either way, saying something "sucks" IS constructive. You can gather a myriad of information by the saying "this sucks" NAMELY that you should make it BETTER.

I also enjoy how you consider yourself my superior. You clearly are a fan of fantasy, and I hope that little thought of fiction lives in your heart forever.

I have been reading and commenting on forums for 25+ yrs. CA is just a pleasurable pastime of spare moments. Here I see someone offering his work for free and you want to destroy his efforts without the self-respect of even reading the the work first. I am a painter and have taught many others how to paint. I know not to 'trash' potential talent before it's time. Mega-Douche, be my equal, read this effort then let us discuss faithfully its merits. Thx.

FrostByte
02-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Sorry ppl, but personally i love how mega douche can ruin the situation and swing it in his favour. As long as the name calling is not coming out.

To the OP : i hope you dont take anyone's opinion here seriously, its global forum anyway.

:D :D

Mega-Douche
02-24-2010, 07:15 PM
I have been reading and commenting on forums for 25+ yrs. CA is just a pleasurable pastime of spare moments. Here I see someone offering his work for free and you want to destroy his efforts without the self-respect of even reading the the work first. I am a painter and have taught many others how to paint. I know not to 'trash' potential talent before it's time. Mega-Douche, be my equal, read this effort then let us discuss faithfully its merits. Thx.

25 years of forums doesn't render your comments on this particular forum viable. Most people on this forum know that I'm cynical, and for those that do not they probably don't take what I say at face value (excluding you because you are a painter and painters have vivid imaginations just like women and women overreact just like you).

I don't care if you're a painter. No one does. Painting is the way of the devil, just like dancing and politics. This book sucks. I have never read it, but it sucks. Your paintings suck too, and so do your students' paintings. I've never seen uglier paintings than the ones you produce (I've also never seen your paintings AT ALL). I'm not trying to insult you, just your paintings and how horrible they are.

Your paintings are a mockery of every technological advancement of the 21st century. Your paintings are literally stunting the evolution of philosophical thinking and are preventing any further artistic movements from progressing. You are killing the world very slowly, and before your cancerous paintings metastasize I want to cut them out by saying they suck.

On a serious note: If anyone reads my comments without passing a judgment of their own, then they will probably never appreciate the e-book either way.

POST EDIT: On the off-chance that anyone judges this book based on my unwarranted reviews, stop. I am very sorry for any inconvenience.

MarkDavis
02-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Mega-Douche, I clearly have not read this forum enough to know who you are. Your last post to me made it clear however. We all make our place in the world and your last post literally made me laugh out loud.
I understand your position now.
Go forth and multiply(or preferably die of old age before you pass on any genes to the human race) and be at peace(or may we never stumble across your thoughts again).

davidhburton
02-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Not offended in the least...quite amused actually. :)

davidhburton
02-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Perhaps my next novel needs to have a Mega-Douche character, and I shall make him King.

Lena Gkika
02-24-2010, 07:42 PM
well his biography would definitely be interesting :P

davidhburton
02-24-2010, 07:43 PM
It would likely sell millions.

Mega-Douche
02-24-2010, 07:47 PM
well his biography would definitely be interesting :P

Yes, an autobiography about an old naked man wishing he could relive his past online exploits. I'm sure it would be the next "The Cacther in the Rye". Maybe someone will kill George Clooney saying it was a hidden message in the text.

My pen name would be Yenoolc Egroeg Llik.

Lena Gkika
02-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Yes, an autobiography about an old naked man wishing he could relive his past online exploits. I'm sure it would be the next "The Cacther in the Rye". Maybe someone will kill George Clooney saying it was a hidden message in the text.

My pen name would be Yenoolc Egroeg Llik.

Kill George Clooney? why not Tom Marvolo Riddle? im disappointed, thought you'd pick something more badass and hard to find

Lena Gkika
02-24-2010, 07:54 PM
maybe you should publish your book and hide the messages in 3 of your own hand-drawn sketches..each of which would be placed in a different copy of the book and all the rest would be differentiated copies...only your followers would get the message..Johny Depp would hunt you down 6th Gate style, but in the end he ll give in and join the cult as well :eek::rolleyes:

Edit to add : then we would get a movie too..that's the soundtrack :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCQrrQ3R8as

MarkDavis
02-24-2010, 07:56 PM
maybe you should publish your book and hide the messages in 3 of your own hand-drawn sketches..each of which would be placed in a different copy of the book and all the rest would be differentiated copies...only your followers would get the message..Johny Depp would hunt you down 6th Gate style, but in the end he ll give in and join the cult as well :eek::rolleyes:

Too funny!

Mega-Douche
02-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Kill George Clooney? why not Tom Marvolo Riddle? im disappointed, thought you'd pick something more badass and hard to find

Because the actor who plays he-whose-name-I-speak-quite-liberally had unprotected sex with a flight attendant while going to an AIDS awareness seminar (in fact, he was an ambassador for the event), which is both ironic and hilarious. Plus he played the psycho in Red Dragon, and I must say his performance was outstanding.

Whereas George Clooney sucks at everything he does.

Mega-Douche
02-24-2010, 07:58 PM

Edit to add : then we would get a movie too..that's the soundtrack :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCQrrQ3R8as

I already do that on my art forum.

oO☼ﬞ Tricᶄsy-TriӾie ☼ﬞOo
02-24-2010, 08:02 PM
I guess I'm the only person kind enough to tell you the truth. But don't worry... if Harry Potter can make it big, so can you.

I have mixed feelings about writing a book... you see, I first wrote a book when I was 17. It was 355 pages after being completely edited and revised a dozen times. The book took me 56ish hours to write (I logged time spent on it) over the course of one week. The reason I never tried to publish the novel (albeit, people would have LOVED that a 17 year old boy wrote it) is that I didn't think it stood ground compared to such great fantasy novels as Dune or Ender's Game.

I guess what I am trying to say is... I'm not a sell-out. If I do something on a large scale, I want it to be perfect. Or, that's how I felt at the time. Now I'd sell out my own mother if I could.

But I digress; your book sucks.

POST EDIT: one of the flaws with my book was that I never had any life experiences outside of Lansdale Pennsylvania. Before you write your next book you should murder someone. I think murdering your mom or dad might give you an artistic streak-something to inspire the flame of creativity within you.

not only that but it will solve the problem most people have when trying to write a book...not having enough time on their hands to sit for hours a day writing :D

davidhburton
02-24-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm getting nothing but white screens these days trying to play CA. It's up, it's down. I suspect a FB issue.

Anyhow, with all the time I'm saving while not playing CA the next novel is well under way! :)

LilKayla
02-24-2010, 09:50 PM
I simply save time on the forums by ignoring all of Mega-Douche's posts. I tried reading them one time, but I couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to get through the post.

Troublesome
02-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Mega-douche might be the primary reason I read these forums.

Carry on with your kingly-bad-ass self :)

Vinc3
02-25-2010, 02:32 AM
Intrigued.
A bit out of my preferred comfort zone for reading (Terry Pratchett, Robert Asprin, Stan Nichols or Joe Abercrombie); I'm sure the subject will raise a few eyebrows when the hard copy hits the street.

JinnTolser
02-25-2010, 04:38 AM
I downloaded the ebook. Will try to give it a read when I'm finished with the book I'm reading now. The premise definitely sounds interesting (though I imagine it will make a lot of people mad as well).

davidhburton
02-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Yeah, it pushes a few boundaries. ;) Hope you like it!

IlMezzelfo
02-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Downloaded it. I have some things to read atm, but i'll check it in the next days for sure :)

Erevis Cale
02-25-2010, 02:18 PM
So far seems like a good read, but as for e-books I cant stand em, prefer good ol' paperback. Let me know when its published and ill pick up a copy.

davidhburton
02-25-2010, 08:13 PM
I'd be happy to!

Wolverine1020
02-25-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm into a Nelson Demille right now but I put it on my ipod so I can read it in my travels.

davidhburton
02-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Cool!! Please let me know what you think of it when you have the chance!

Mega-Douche
02-25-2010, 10:28 PM

I know you told me in private message that you do not accept challenges, but I still want to challenge you.

mones
02-26-2010, 01:41 AM
Love Fantasy :"> but... can you tell me this PDF is full length or midley version of your book? I live in a small country and cannot buy your book through amazon. (_ __!) I think my biggest hating is reading a good book from beginning and... OMG!!! What's up??? WHAT IS "TO BE CONTINUE" ???

Knowlege and some exactly explaining can make a fantasy book become a good novel, believe me :))

wyer
02-26-2010, 01:51 AM

I couldn't get your page to load. Going to try again in another browser.

Aha! You tried to trick me with that h in there. David H. Burton.

I got the Kindle version. Will be a while before i read though, because I am just starting the newest Robin Hobb. I'll get back to you when I have read it.

davidhburton
02-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Very cool!! Thanks wyer!

mones, yes the PDF is the full novel. Enjoy!!

davidhburton
02-26-2010, 12:58 PM
tick tock, tick tock,...time's running short. :)

davidhburton
03-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Last chance...just over 24 hours left to get it free. :)

brendejasRodeoClown
03-02-2010, 05:25 AM
best of luck with your novel. i also downloaded it and will get to it soon. :D

wyer
03-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Started reading it last night...I think it is going to be scary...and nothing like I thought.
I've just tried to rea a few pages more....not sure it is for me.

Hfaistos
03-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Downloaded it. Will read when I get the chance.

Good luck!

davidhburton
03-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks all! Enjoy!

Wyer, that's ok if it's not your cup of tea. I really appreciate you taking the time to download and read it!!

Kisaoda
03-02-2010, 02:17 PM
David, I've downloaded the book last week and read through the end of Chapter Five. While the content itself is not for me, might I extend my compliments that you have an excellent sense of prose and pace of story. Of course, as I didn't finish, I don't know how the pace is for the rest of the story, from what I've read I never felt as though it dragged, nor did I feel as if you were trying to speed me along.

Best wishes to your success. :)

davidhburton
03-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Kisaoda,

thank you. That's a very fine compliment, indeed!

Cheers!
David

Mega-Douche
03-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Your book sucks.

davidhburton
03-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Well, my sucky book is still free for the next 5 hours for anyone who's interested. And that includes you, Mega-Douche. ;)

Mega-Douche
03-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Well, my sucky book is still free for the next 5 hours for anyone who's interested. And that includes you, Mega-Douche. ;)

I'm doing it now.

wyer
03-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Thanks all! Enjoy!

Wyer, that's ok if it's not your cup of tea. I really appreciate you taking the time to download and read it!!

I may get back to it. Probably if I give myself a chance to get in the thick of it and get the ground work laying past, I may be okay with it. Not sure. I'll get back again later with you, here or at your site.

Andross12
03-03-2010, 04:18 AM
Hey thanks for the download, I will start to read it next chance I have.

davidhburton
03-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Sounds good!

Erevis Cale
03-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Ive come up with a good idea for a funny book, Its about a guy who is surfing and is bit by a were-fish and every full moon he has to stay in his bathtub or die. Copyrighted.

davidhburton
03-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Dagnabbit, why didn't I think of that?!