PDA

View Full Version : Some newbie questions



Wulfrune
01-03-2010, 02:07 PM
I've been playing CA for just over a week now and am enjoying it a lot, but have a few questions that I can't seem to find answered in the forum.

1 - when doing monster fights does the amount of loot given depend on the stamina used, or the kills/damage done? I ask this because it obviously takes a lot more effort for a level 34 (like me) to kill as many orcs/inflict damage on a serpent as someone at a higher level. So do I have to work harder to gain the same amount of loot?

2 - Can the Holy Avenger sword (from fighting Colossus) be dropped more than one time? Incidentally, the information given is ambiguous - 50% chance of drop could (and I think it does) mean there is a 50% chance of nothing at all - which gives the orb and the sword a 25% success rate. I would like to know this in case there is no point in fighting the Colossus any more. If I can get another sword and have the energy, then I would take the 25% chance.

3 - How am I going to Level up Aeris? I have done the first quests which allow 'any general' but can't find any more. Are there any more quests where the choice of general is up to you?

4 - is there any received wisdom about how one's attack and defence stats should be in relation to one's level? For instance, in Mafia Wars, it's a good idea to have A/D at twice one's Level number. I'm level 34 and my A/D are about 45 each (I get an increase when I use Celesta who I've maxed out at level 4). I want to be an all-round player rather than a specialist.

I hope I'm not asking FAQs - I did check the forum before posting this! All help and advice will be most welcome.

Josh Rottschaefer
01-03-2010, 02:42 PM
I've been playing CA for just over a week now and am enjoying it a lot, but have a few questions that I can't seem to find answered in the forum.

1 - when doing monster fights does the amount of loot given depend on the stamina used, or the kills/damage done? I ask this because it obviously takes a lot more effort for a level 34 (like me) to kill as many orcs/inflict damage on a serpent as someone at a higher level. So do I have to work harder to gain the same amount of loot?

Yes, the loot depends on the amount of damage done, however, there is some speculation as to whether the lower levels have lower requirements to get into Epic drop status. A good rule of thumb is to try and shoot for doing at a minimum, the amount needed for it to count towards the Achievement. You should be able to get an Epic with that damage.


2 - Can the Holy Avenger sword (from fighting Colossus) be dropped more than one time? Incidentally, the information given is ambiguous - 50% chance of drop could (and I think it does) mean there is a 50% chance of nothing at all - which gives the orb and the sword a 25% success rate. I would like to know this in case there is no point in fighting the Colossus any more. If I can get another sword and have the energy, then I would take the 25% chance.

You can only have 1 Holy Avenger. You can do the quest over and over and it will seem like you see more being dropped, but if you check your inventory, it will stay at 1. Incidentally, the Boss Orb and Holy Avenger drops are not mutually exclusive, they are both a straight 50% so you can get neither, one but not the other, or both at the same time, but the drop rate for either is 50% whether or not the other drops.


3 - How am I going to Level up Aeris? I have done the first quests which allow 'any general' but can't find any more. Are there any more quests where the choice of general is up to you?

Once you complete the first Boss level, it will open up 2 sub-quests for each level you cave completed to 100% These sub-quests are non General specific so you can use Aeris on them to level them up. Also the Demi-Quests are a good source of level completion, having their own sub-quests as well. In addition, using Aeris during battles and vs monsters will also level her up.


4 - is there any received wisdom about how one's attack and defence stats should be in relation to one's level? For instance, in Mafia Wars, it's a good idea to have A/D at twice one's Level number. I'm level 34 and my A/D are about 45 each (I get an increase when I use Celesta who I've maxed out at level 4). I want to be an all-round player rather than a specialist.

I hope I'm not asking FAQs - I did check the forum before posting this! All help and advice will be most welcome.

There are many many different strategies concerning Att/Def. My advice is to read up about them (they are all over the place here in the Forums) and form your own opinion based on what you want to do with your game.

Dave O
01-03-2010, 02:45 PM
3 - How am I going to Level up Aeris? I have done the first quests which allow 'any general' but can't find any more. Are there any more quests where the choice of general is up to you?

You can use her in the "sub-quests" as they do not require a specific General. You can also take her into battle (either PvP or PvM) with you ... but that may not be the best method.


4 - is there any received wisdom about how one's attack and defence stats should be in relation to one's level? For instance, in Mafia Wars, it's a good idea to have A/D at twice one's Level number. I'm level 34 and my A/D are about 45 each (I get an increase when I use Celesta who I've maxed out at level 4). I want to be an all-round player rather than a specialist.

Questions and Answers to this are scattered all over the forums -- you likely will not find any agreement though. As a rough guideline, it seems that for PvP your A/D total should be AT LEAST 5X level and many are around 7+. CA is quite a bit different than MW. For starters, 70% of your Attack score is applied to Defense when defending and 70% of your Defense is applied to Attack when attacking. Some say put everything into Attack leaving Defense at 1 (especially if you have a small Army); others argue the opposite; most add to both ... really depends on the way you intend to play the game.

Wulfrune
01-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks Josh, that's helped a lot.

I would like to avoid the message 'you did not do enough damage to earn any loot' which I have received once. I think it would be best not to respond to every monster call to arms, but focus on a couple in the hope of better loot.

BTW, I have now completed the first set of quests (level 4 inc the mini quests) and done the boss but didn't receive any demi quest. Perhaps it was because I defeated the boss before maxing out all the quests. Will try again, otherwise I'm baffled.

Josh Rottschaefer
01-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks Josh, that's helped a lot.

I would like to avoid the message 'you did not do enough damage to earn any loot' which I have received once. I think it would be best not to respond to every monster call to arms, but focus on a couple in the hope of better loot.

BTW, I have now completed the first set of quests (level 4 inc the mini quests) and done the boss but didn't receive any demi quest. Perhaps it was because I defeated the boss before maxing out all the quests. Will try again, otherwise I'm baffled.

You're very welcome. I would definitely agree that focusing on one monster at a time is best at first. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

Rheannan
01-03-2010, 03:17 PM
BTW, I have now completed the first set of quests (level 4 inc the mini quests) and done the boss but didn't receive any demi quest. Perhaps it was because I defeated the boss before maxing out all the quests. Will try again, otherwise I'm baffled.

The quests involve a main quest and two sub-quests. The demi quests are obtained by paying tribute to a demi power in the oracle section. You'll go through a list of rewards, and there will be some demi quests in there. The tribute is once a day - it'll show what the next reward is.

As for the sub-quests, they only become available after doing the boss quest anyway.

Wulfrune
01-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks! I just realised something embarassing - I've been playing all week thinking that the two subquests beneath each quest had to have the same general as the main quest. DOH! no wonder I was confused by Josh's original answer. All is now clear! I've wasted a lot of energy using level 4 generals....... *smacks hand to head*