PDA

View Full Version : Warning...Massed add = banned for good!

Ripthorn
12-15-2009, 01:23 AM
I was just doing the mass-add email list and got banned forever for my Facebook account. no matter how many pleas, and explanations that I haven't done a mass add before...they won't hear of it.

I'm more upset over losing my hard earned character in Castle Age...had built him up nice..but now lost forever. Restarting over again with a new account.

Would love to know if my old character could be revived....

jcstephens
12-15-2009, 01:33 AM
My condolences on your loss. But would you do me the favor of giving a little more detail? Exactly what did you do, and why was it a problem? I'm going to be wanting to increase my army soon, and I need to know what not to do!

Ripthorn
12-15-2009, 01:45 AM
I guess I made the mistake of doing the mass-add email thread from this forum. Without any notice or warning..bam..gone for good. Very disheartening. I got read a riot act about Facebook only being intended for people that you know in "real life". So basically, only people that live next door or maybe college.

Here's what I received:

"Facebook aspires to be an environment where people can interact safely with their friends and people they know. Accordingly, we expect accounts to reflect mainly your "real-world contacts." We do not endorse contacting strangers through unsolicited friend requests as they may be considered annoying or abusive.

To prevent this type of behavior, Facebook has limits in place that restrict the rate at which you can use certain features on the site. Your account was disabled because Facebook determined that you were going too fast when sending friend requests."

Funny that their rules never clearly state numbers of invites allowed, etc.

Major
12-15-2009, 02:02 AM
Oh well, atleast you know what it takes to be able to build up a strong CA Character.

Now i dont if this will work, but you could try. Facebook gives one the ability to combine accounts. I'm sure you can workout what im trying to recommend.

Also Facebook has tiers of ban's. Some are banned for a week, some for a month, etc.

Mursilis
12-15-2009, 02:26 AM
Interesting. FB did just change their Security/privacy settings very recently, this may have been one of the changes. It would mean either there is a limit to the number of emails one can send friend requests to per day, or that many of the people who put their name on the mass add list are ignoring friend requests. Either way research is required. That and if anyone else encountered the same since the FB privacy change please post here.

Shaddow
12-15-2009, 02:50 AM
Facebook gets more and more frustrating everyday. What kind of social networking site tries in every way to restrict socialization? Instead of ironing out the problems with privacy settings (which has the potential to get them into legal trouble), they're trying to stop people from adding strangers at all.

I have my suspicions about the sudden appearance of the option to mark "do not know this person" when you Ignore a friend request (that's in addition to the report spam or abuse option). I've noted some people mentioning that they have clicked on this option when ignoring a request because it was blank and did not state what app they were adding for. I wondered what happened to those people who got marked in this manner. Can't be good. Ripthorn, did you mention Castle Age in your request? If not, and several people (however many complaints it takes for CA to ban your account for being a nuisance) marked that "do not know this person" option as the reason for ignoring the friend request, then that may be why you got perma-banned.

Most other people I know have received warnings or had their accounts restricted from adding friends. The only other person I know who got perma-banned had been accused (wrongly accused I'm sure) of lewdness. No proof was presented. They just made up their minds and the decision was final.

Castle Age could work around this problem for adding army members like Mafia Wars and Vampires have done by providing a recruit link that works without being on each other's friend list. Then you'd only need to add a handful of people to your friend list for the CTAs (or look for monster links on the forum).

RayShimley
12-15-2009, 02:55 AM
Scary..guess I will have to take it easy adding the last few people to my army..Glad I'm already about to 501...

Shaddow
12-15-2009, 02:57 AM
It would mean either there is a limit to the number of emails one can send friend requests to per day

I can confirm this to be true (since before the change in privacy settings) based on the experiences of friends of mine in another app who have had to add 500 people for each of 4 armies. Everyone on FB has a fixed amount of interaction that they're permitted, but it's unclear whether this is on a daily, weekly, monthly, or whatnot basis. That means every friend request and every email sent is counted toward this limit. In fact, when group mails are sent, every time you reply to that thread, it counts toward your limit. (I forget whether it counts if someone else responds to the thread.)

Animayhem
12-15-2009, 03:33 AM
I have 1200 (ish) friends, I sure hope I don't log in one day and get told I have to many friends and get a ban.

I wonder if this is in response to the groups asking for walls that for games only.

rklhughes
12-15-2009, 03:43 AM
confirmed.

Someone was talking to me about this earlier via chat, so I made a new facebook account, sent out the mass e-mail thread and it was banned within 3 hours.

xienwolf
12-15-2009, 03:58 AM
I've been trying to get myself OFF the mass add list and failing (apparently people like to quote from before the last post in thread, anyway...), have gotten more than 400 friend requests in the last 2 days, so it still works for most people. I would suspect that some people must have responded unfavorably on the ignore option.

The worst thing is, that if you use the mass add list then the invite was NOT an unsolicited invite. The person placed his email address there, so he asked for people to friend him.

NotMyWay
12-15-2009, 04:11 AM
I guess I made the mistake of doing the mass-add email thread from this forum. Without any notice or warning..bam..gone for good. Very disheartening. I got read a riot act about Facebook only being intended for people that you know in "real life". So basically, only people that live next door or maybe college.

Here's what I received:

"Facebook aspires to be an environment where people can interact safely with their friends and people they know. Accordingly, we expect accounts to reflect mainly your "real-world contacts." We do not endorse contacting strangers through unsolicited friend requests as they may be considered annoying or abusive.

To prevent this type of behavior, Facebook has limits in place that restrict the rate at which you can use certain features on the site. Your account was disabled because Facebook determined that you were going too fast when sending friend requests."

Funny that their rules never clearly state numbers of invites allowed, etc.

Perhaps you could try to explain to them that your actions were NOT unsolicited? Since they DID post in a mass add thread.

I have my suspicions about the sudden appearance of the option to mark "do not know this person" when you Ignore a friend request (that's in addition to the report spam or abuse option). I've noted some people mentioning that they have clicked on this option when ignoring a request because it was blank and did not state what app they were adding for.

I admit I do that. To ANYONE whom I don't know who adds me, unless I asked them to add me. Yes, this also means that when I don't ask people to add me, and people attack me and then get my profile link and send a request, I will mark that I don't know them even if they mentioned CA because I really don't know them, nor did I ask them to add me, and I think such people should be banned because their request was unsolicited. But surely mass add should be considered solicited?

thegigglingman
12-15-2009, 04:45 AM
Just cleared all my CA pending friend requests and knocked out about a hundred inactive army members just because.

A little paranoid? Maybe. But I actually use this website to do stuff. I also like all my photos.

Mursilis
12-15-2009, 10:25 AM
confirmed.

Someone was talking to me about this earlier via chat, so I made a new facebook account, sent out the mass e-mail thread and it was banned within 3 hours.

And did you put a message in your friend request, or leave it blank?

Maa Lumitassu
12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
I have 1200 (ish) friends, I sure hope I don't log in one day and get told I have to many friends and get a ban.

I wonder if this is in response to the groups asking for walls that for games only.

Could be Animayhem. I've seen a lot of that flying around. Incidentally I prefer it the way it is. If you don't want the stuff on your wall then don't effin' play the games. Like duh! :rolleyes:

As for FB...it is typical of them. Why can't they just use some common sense and actually realise that people play games and want to build armies.

WatchTheSea
12-26-2009, 10:26 AM
interesting and good to know thank you for posting this thread btw add my new friend anyway :) *link removed*

Mndrew
12-26-2009, 10:38 AM
It also does not help when new apps are hijacking older, popular games mass add lists. Many people have noticed how "little warrior" has done so in the past two weeks, spamming everyone in Castle age who ever signed up for a CA mass email list. This is the kind of abuse that triggers this over-reaction by Facebook. I have restained myself, only ignoring LW requests. But most likely half of the blank friend requests I received in the past 2 weeks were also from there.

Punkle
12-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Acording to Fb's terms, its an abuse to use the facebook features on facebook.

The beauty of scripted watchdogging... Suspended(or deleted) for refreshing pages, adding people you dont know to be you friend or deleting people from you friend lists, etc.etc.. :P
The problem is to know at what point the scripts kick in an call your action an abuse...

Rheannan
12-26-2009, 11:02 AM
I got read a riot act about Facebook only being intended for people that you know in "real life". So basically, only people that live next door or maybe college.

Here's what I received:

[I]"Facebook aspires to be an environment where people can interact safely with their friends and people they know. Accordingly, we expect accounts to reflect mainly your "real-world contacts." We do not endorse contacting strangers through unsolicited friend requests as they may be considered annoying or abusive.

I just wanted to add that if Facebook actually considers anyone you don't know in person to be a stranger, then their policy needs changing.

'Real-world contacts' is ambiguous and I'm not really sure what they're trying to say with it.

I've always found it ironic that Facebook claims to want you to use the site for people you know... and then allows you to add that many people to your friends list.

Suspended(or deleted) for refreshing pages

Could you elaborate on that please?

Punkle
12-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Could you elaborate on that please?

http://www.castleageforums.com/cforum/showthread.php?t=11217

fantasy5858
12-26-2009, 06:19 PM
I can confirm this to be true (since before the change in privacy settings) based on the experiences of friends of mine in another app who have had to add 500 people for each of 4 armies. Everyone on FB has a fixed amount of interaction that they're permitted, but it's unclear whether this is on a daily, weekly, monthly, or whatnot basis. That means every friend request and every email sent is counted toward this limit. In fact, when group mails are sent, every time you reply to that thread, it counts toward your limit. (I forget whether it counts if someone else responds to the thread.)
I'll be glad when they make a wall just for APPS... keep my friends annd family seperate from my CA peeps. Don't know if it would be possible but it would make me feel more at ease.

cpkz
12-26-2009, 06:46 PM
I'll be glad when they make a wall just for APPS... keep my friends annd family seperate from my CA peeps. Don't know if it would be possible but it would make me feel more at ease.

There is already a wall for individual apps, and you can hide all games from your news and live feed.

I have a wall just for CA updates right now.

Rin
12-26-2009, 10:36 PM
There is already a wall for individual apps, and you can hide all games from your news and live feed.

I have a wall just for CA updates right now.

How do you set that up?

Arnd of Hwlffordd
12-27-2009, 01:41 PM
How do you set that up?

Your Facebook page - Status Updates
There you will see a list on the left hand side, where you have several options listed. I assume you have moved the "Status Updates" to the top in the past? News Feed, Links, Photos is some of the other options.
Click on "more" (on the bottom of this list)
One of the items listed should be "Castle Age" next to any other games you may play or apps whose notifications you may have received.
If you want Castle Age to go on top of your list, click onto the 3 blue bars and move the "Castle Age" button to the top of the list.
Done! I've moved my Status Updates to the very top, as the News feed or Live Feed was annoying.
If you are in the edit mode, you can also block apps this way (right click, block), believe me, this will clear up things a lot!!

As for the matter at hand, theme of this thread, I never used a mass add, but something must have happened as I have to do the captchas again if I want to add someone as a friend. I never had a warning or anything of FB regarding this and don't know why. But I guess I'm on some watch list etc...

airdan
12-28-2009, 01:47 AM
This is scary about the banning. Good thing I never gave my e-mail.

Arnd, if I hide all games from my news or live feed then the wall from CA shows no posts. Is it supposed to be like that?

NotMyWay
12-28-2009, 01:48 AM
As for the matter at hand, theme of this thread, I never used a mass add, but something must have happened as I have to do the captchas again if I want to add someone as a friend. I never had a warning or anything of FB regarding this and don't know why. But I guess I'm on some watch list etc...

Same here, but I used a mass add once (didn't actually put my email on it but just added the people on the list). I wonder is the captchas a change that affects everyone? Since the people I add for games are usually from other countries...